Help - Speakers and subwoofer for listening and DJing - £1000

renardto

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi - I'm looking for assistance in buying some new speakers for around the £1000 mark and am happy to buy second hand. I'm ideally looking for something that can be used for both listening to my music collection (predominantly electronic) and as DJ speakers/monitors.

I've owned a variety of speakers in the past few years which have included B&W 684 (which I quite liked although maybe not great for DJ speakers), PMC FB1 (too much of a live sound for me), KRK Rockit RP-8 (not great for normal listening), Dynaudio Excite X-16 (too bass light) and Mackie SRM 1530 (great, but just way too big)

The speakers need to go loud and have good deep bass and ideally be stand mountable with a subwoofer to take care of bass duties. Additonally, I don't want something overly revealing as some of my music is vinyl recordings.

At the moment I'm struggling to find any speakers that seem to be right. I'm currently looking at a pair of Mackie SRM 550 or 650 speakers, but would be keen to hear if anyone has any "hi-fi" suggestions

Many thanks

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Simple answer, if you can find a pair at the right price, would be the Mackie HR824. The recent arrival of the Mk2 means that the price has risen to about £1300 but you might find the Mk1s cheaper, or possible used or ex dem.

They probably would not need a sub, as they are very powerful in the bass region but if you are going down the sub route you might well get away with the smaller HR624s, using the money saved for a sub.

These are active speakers, so no power amps needed, just a line level input.

EvPa

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Try to look for ADAM Audio stuff, with your budget you should be able to get a pair of A7Xs and a Sub7 from Thomann (B-Stock).

Genelec's M030 and M040 are quite interesting too but adding a subwoofer would likely go over-budget.

renardto

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the info

I had been looking at some Genelecs as they look interesting, so went for a pair of 8050A which were on ebay within budget and are normally about £2400 a pair - these have the 8 inch drivers. Figured if I like them I can always add a sub and if not I'll easily be able to sell them and get a pair of Mackie SRM550 or 650.

I'll report back once I receive them ;)

renardto

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the info

I had been looking at some Genelecs as they look interesting, so went for a pair of 8050A which were on ebay within budget and are normally about £2400 a pair - these have the 8 inch drivers. Figured if I like them I can always add a sub and if not I'll easily be able to sell them and get a pair of Mackie SRM550 or 650.

renardto

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the info

renardto

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Had the 8050A's for a couple of weeks now and although havent set them up properly yet, they ooze quality. As my marantz didnt have balanced RCA outs I decided to sell it and bought an audiolab M-DAC which I run via USB from my macbook and use the xlr outputs to power the the speakers. I then intend to use the digital coax output from my mixer to the M-DAC so all volume is controlled by the m-dac (itunes is controlled over HID which is nice too). The ATC C1 is connected by RCA from the M-DAC straight to the sub and just makes everything sound effortless. Overall, I have been overwhelmed by the quality of this set up even with lesser quality files, whether it's sat at my desk listening at low volume or full on high levels.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts