Subwoofer advice

gasolin

Need some advice for a subwoofer for my nad d3020 and boston a26

So fare i have found a used JBL ES250 for about 200€ and a B&W ASW600 for 1/3 more

Or i can get a jamo sub 200 cheap (although not as cheap as the one i have)

The B&W 600 has this advantage of a high pass filter for my boston's, connect the amp using speaker cable to the subwoofer and then i can connect my boston's to the sub and use the high pass filter at 80hz so only sounds under 80hz is played noticeable by the sub, which in most cases give a better,cleaner more open midrange and mabye a bit more spl before reaching my amps limited

Which subwoofer would you recommend?

Recommended crossover?

High pass filter or not for my boston's using the subwoofer?

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
It seems to me that you have a very particular taste and possibly some very high demands (after having followed some of your threads). To get what you need, you would probably need to look around quite a bit, but instead you seem to make quick decisions on buying new pieces for your system, which you start to dislike after a short while.

It might be good to take a little bit more time for your next purchase and seek out what it exactly is in the lower regions that make you happy before you buy the next sub.

gasolin

I do buy places where i can return it,the sub i returned costs me only 6-7€ to get and return,when you buy especially speakers you have to try it at home with the music you like,with the room acoustics you have and amp if it's full range speakers or together with your main speakers if you buy a subwoofer.

In a store something could sound as if it's not loud enought but at your home it be might be more then enough, also if you only listen to the speakers for 5 min it might sound good but in your home it may not be so good .

That's why it's so important to listen to speakers,subwoofers in your home, with the music you like, room acoustics and with there rest of your sound system.

I bought my Boston A26,Nad D3020 because of good reviews from whathif, haven't regret it, although i couldn't listen to the boston's before i bought them, friday was the last day i could return them, my nad D3020 i also like, the top and midrange are very musical from the amp/speaker and can't think of something better for the prize and size (wanted small amp for my desk, like to use a volume *** instead of a remote control)

I can get the boston ASW250 for 186£ with delivery , what do think about this subwoofer, i have read it's not so musical, normal price is 274£

http://www.digitaltrends.com/speaker-system-reviews/boston-acoustics-a-series-review/ (other reviews they don't say anything about it not being so musical, the tend to test in a 5.1 system not a 2.1 where you more use it for music then a 5.1 set)

My concern is that there is no high pass filter in the sub so the sound the sub is playing don't get cut off from the boston a26, like it would be if the amp was a surround amp or the subwoofer has high pass filter for the front speakers.

How do you think about that?

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
gasolin said:
I do buy places where i can return it,the sub i returned costs me only 6-7€ to get and return,when you buy especially speakers you have to try it at home with the music you like,with the room acoustics you have and amp if it's full range speakers or together with your main speakers if you buy a subwoofer.

In a store something could sound as if it's not loud enought but at your home it be might be more then enough, also if you only listen to the speakers for 5 min it might sound good but in your home it may not be so good .

That's why it's so important to listen to speakers,subwoofers in your home, with the music you like, room acoustics and with there rest of your sound system.

I bought my Boston A26,Nad D3020 because of good reviews from whathif, haven't regret it, although i couldn't listen to the boston's before i bought them, friday was the last day i could return them, my nad D3020 i also like, the top and midrange are very musical from the amp/speaker and can't think of something better for the prize and size (wanted small amp for my desk, like to use a volume *** instead of a remote control)

I can get the boston ASW250 for 186£ with delivery , what do think about this subwoofer, i have read it's not so musical, normal price is 274£

http://www.digitaltrends.com/speaker-system-reviews/boston-acoustics-a-series-review/ (other reviews they don't say anything about it not being so musical, the tend to test in a 5.1 system not a 2.1 where you more use it for music then a 5.1 set)

My concern is that there is no high pass filter in the sub so the sound the sub is playing don't get cut off from the boston a26, like it would be if the amp was a surround amp or the subwoofer has high pass filter for the front speakers.

How do you think about that?

It is very difficult to integrate a sub into a speaker system for music playback. Speaker designers spend a great deal of time to ensure that the crossover between drivers occurs in an acceptable manner. Unless you have access to decent test equipment and some way of adjusting the crossover points of both the main speakers and the sub, then you probably won't end up with a good result.

I have a processor with DSP filters, and a parametric equaliser on my sub, so I was able to closely control crossover points and shape the speaker frequency response. I spent ages fiddling around with frequency sweeps and a measurement mic and I finally managed to get the combined 2.1 system to go from dreadful to just about OK.

If you want a bit of 'boom' to go with your 'tizz' then perhaps a stand alone sub makes sense, but if I could do it again, I would be inclined to buy main speakers with better LF response, let the speaker designer worry about driver integration, and keep the sub for LFE for the home cinema.

gasolin

I think if you want small speakers with good bass you either have to buy expensive speaker or active like krk's especially vxt's

For just 200€ you can get a subwoofer with much more bass then any normal 5-7" speaker can produce, let's face it, most of us low a deep and loud bass, might not always be as loud as it can be with a12-15" woofer with more then 400 watt ;) .

In my case, i need a bit more bass under i guess it's 80hz, playing some pop and rock music from the 80's and back at low levels(to the 60's and 50's, the time before edm) i miss a bit more bass, with music like on this page, http://www.trance.fm/#/home.html , expecilally at 20 db on my nad d3020 theres plenty of punch http://www.trance.fm/#/home.html

What would you recommend, the jamo 210 or the boston ASW250? (almost the same price)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to cut to the chase.

Most subwoofers and pretty much all cheap ones are horrible on music. That's it.

Until you have worked this out for yourself you are not going to move forward, keep swapping gear, you will 'get it' eventually.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
I'm going to cut to the chase.

Most subwoofers and pretty much all cheap ones are horrible on music. That's it.

Until you have worked this out for yourself you are not going to move forward, keep swapping gear, you will 'get it' eventually.

Further to Dave's comments and my note above, I have:

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/revel_b15.htm

The picture of the back panel halfway down the review gives some idea of the equalisation available. To be honest, it was insufficient to dial the sub in properly and I am still not that happy with it. I doubt that subs with less capability stand much chance of integrating properly.

The B15 is long in the tooth now, and later versions have full DSP equalisation which is IMO the way to go. My processor has DSP for the mains, but not the sub output, so I had to use the parametric EQ on the sub for that.

It really is tricky to get a sub to work well for music.

gasolin

Have ordered me the smaller jamo sub 210 for 219€, the jamo sub 200 i have with my zensor 1 i remember that they on whathifi say it's musical,good http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/does-jamo-sub-200-subwoofer-a-best-option

Have tried my sub 200 and it has the same soft, round a bit warm sounding bass like my boston a26 both are punchy with edm.

I know how to burn in my speakers and i guess 80 hz would be okay when the A25 goes more or less flat down 100hz http://www.soundandvision.com/content/boston-acoustics-25-speaker-system-ht-labs-measures other then that, what non edm would you recommend me to test my subwoofer with? God rock pop musik with a deep and tight bass

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
gasolin said:
Have ordered me the smaller jamo sub 210 for 219€, the jamo sub 200 i have with my zensor 1 i remember that they on whathifi say it's musical,good http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/does-jamo-sub-200-subwoofer-a-best-option

Have tried my sub 200 and it has the same soft, round a bit warm sounding bass like my boston a26 both are punchy with edm.

I know how to burn in my speakers and i guess 80 hz would be okay when the A25 goes more or less flat down 100hz http://www.soundandvision.com/content/boston-acoustics-25-speaker-system-ht-labs-measures other then that, what non edm would you recommend me to test my subwoofer with? God rock pop musik with a deep and tight bass

Good luck with that.

Let us know how you get on....... :cheer:

gasolin

OMG this little jamo sub 210 is small and light

Connected it to my Nad D3020 (volume min) an set crossover to middle almost to loud then 104 hz better (40-72-104-136-168-200hz ), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaubZpFhW9o OMG to much bass (next test 72hz)

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
If I was working within your budget then I would definitely explore second hand floorstanders instead of a cheaper sub.

Looking on Fleabay at completed listings for speakers in the £150 to £200 range there are some barghains to be had for speakers that are only a couple of years old.

Kef IQ5SE's for £175 being one example. Mission MX3 for £150 being another.

gasolin

Gazzip said:
If I was working within your budget then I would definitely explore second hand floorstanders instead of a cheaper sub.

Looking on Fleabay at completed listings for speakers in the £150 to £200 range there are some barghains to be had for speakers that are only a couple of years old.

Kef IQ5SE's for £175 being one example. Mission MX3 for £150 being another.

I use my Boston on my desk to get the right height, like you would with studio monitors

Buying floorstand speakers like q acoustics 2050i the bottom bass/midrange unit would be hitting my desk and i only have space for them in a corner

gasolin

davedotco said:
gasolin said:
Teo said:
Can't you test a Wharfedale Powercube SPC 10 or a smaller SPC 8 ?

No i can't, theres nothing wrong with my jamo sub 210 except i think it's a bit to loud

I appreciate that it might be a difficult concept, but have you tried turning it down........ :?

It's at minimum only thing i can do is to use my mediaplayer but they don't lower my bass from spotify,wimp hifi (spotify losless) and youtube

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
gasolin said:
davedotco said:
gasolin said:
Teo said:
Can't you test a Wharfedale Powercube SPC 10 or a smaller SPC 8 ?

No i can't, theres nothing wrong with my jamo sub 210 except i think it's a bit to loud

I appreciate that it might be a difficult concept, but have you tried turning it down........ :?

It's at minimum only thing i can do is to use my mediaplayer but they don't lower my bass from spotify,wimp hifi (spotify losless) and youtube

Are you using low or high level inputs? Do you have a choice?

gasolin

no choice.

If i use an eq i would enhance the bass from my bostons and my subwoofer.

I do need to lower the level of my subwoofer so i can't hear it and then turn it up and listen and then again up or down and listen until it sounds right, after that i have to listen to different music edm,pop,rock,jazz old and new recordings to hear if the levels is okay.

I just can't do that because my bass is somtimes a few db to loud and somtimes it's okay.

It sounds good,just not perfect if the bass levels is a bit to high then i can't turn the volume up until it's about the level i like

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
gasolin said:
no choice.

I do need to lower the level of my subwoofer so i can't hear it and then turn it up and listen and then again up or down and listen until it sounds right, after that i have to listen to different music edm,pop,rock,jazz old and new recordings to hear if the levels is okay.

I just can't do that because my bass is somtimes a few db to loud and somtimes it's okay.

It sounds good,just not perfect if the bass levels is a bit to high then i can't turn the volume up until it's about the level i like

Try some of these.

http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co.uk/html/attenuators.html

Not cheap but they give 10dB of attenuation and are supposedly inaudible.

Richda86

May 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm going to be a HiFi snob and say yuck to subwoofers when playing music. The sound reminds me too much of souped up Novas.

IMO a better investment would be a system more suited to your listening environment where excesive bass is not necessary. I would quite like to reduce the bass on my little B&W805s so i'm experiementing with changing the room dynamics.

Only place I would consider a sub is home cinema..

gasolin

davedotco said:
gasolin said:
no choice.

Try some of these.

http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co.uk/html/attenuators.html

Not cheap but they give 10dB of attenuation and are supposedly inaudible.

Might just be what i need, they are out of stock on there homepage on the -10db version, need my volume on my sub to be to low-perfect- to loud, somtimes it's okay sometimes it's to loud.

Yes it's expensive,but what can you about that, i mean youit to sound good so you hyave to pay what it costs, i found it on amazon so now i just have to wait.

A high pass filter (around 80hz) is that difficult to get for my system?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts