Subwoofer advice

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
gasolin said:
davedotco said:
gasolin said:
no choice.

If i use an eq i would enhance the bass from my bostons and my subwoofer.

I do need to lower the level of my subwoofer so i can't hear it and then turn it up and listen and then again up or down and listen until it sounds right, after that i have to listen to different music edm,pop,rock,jazz old and new recordings to hear if the levels is okay.

I just can't do that because my bass is somtimes a few db to loud and somtimes it's okay.

It sounds good,just not perfect if the bass levels is a bit to high then i can't turn the volume up until it's about the level i like

Try some of these.

http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co.uk/html/attenuators.html

Not cheap but they give 10dB of attenuation and are supposedly inaudible.

Might just be what i need, they are out of stock on there homepage on the -10db version, need my volume on my sub to be to low-perfect- to loud, somtimes it's okay sometimes it's to loud.

Yes it's expensive,but what can you about that, i mean youit to sound good so you hyave to pay what it costs, i found it on amazon so now i just have to wait.

A high pass filter (around 80hz) is that difficult to get for my system?

Not difficult but expensive and complex. Simple answer, return the sub and try something with more control.

Music store in Germany are selling refurbished Adam Sub 7s for a little over €300 inc shipping. Decent small sub with built in 85hz filter for your Bostons.

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
gasolin said:
davedotco said:
gasolin said:
no choice.

I do need to lower the level of my subwoofer so i can't hear it and then turn it up and listen and then again up or down and listen until it sounds right, after that i have to listen to different music edm,pop,rock,jazz old and new recordings to hear if the levels is okay.

I just can't do that because my bass is somtimes a few db to loud and somtimes it's okay.

It sounds good,just not perfect if the bass levels is a bit to high then i can't turn the volume up until it's about the level i like

Try some of these.

Might just be what i need, they are out of stock on there homepage on the -10db version, need my volume on my sub to be to low-perfect- to loud, somtimes it's okay sometimes it's to loud.

Yes it's expensive,but what can you about that, i mean youit to sound good so you hyave to pay what it costs, i found it on amazon so now i just have to wait.

Not difficult but expensive and complex. Simple answer, return the sub and try something with more control.

Music store in Germany are selling refurbished Adam Sub 7s for a little over €300 inc shipping. Decent small sub with built in 85hz filter for your Bostons.

Which would probably work well with the A5X's Gasolin owned before... But that combination might be a bit too expensive.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
You can do it right or you can do it cheap...................... :doh:

Though given what was payed for the jamo sub that doesn't work plus €40-50 for a pair of attenuators, €329 is not that bad.

gasolin

davedotco said:
gasolin said:
davedotco said:
gasolin said:
no choice.

Try some of these.

So you would think that would work for my Boston A26?

How would i make my Nad D3020 play music with my Boston A26's from 85 hz and up ?

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:

Though given what was payed for the jamo sub that doesn't work plus €40-50 for a pair of attenuators, €329 is not that bad.

The Jamo Sub cost him 219 euro's but in the Netherlands it can already be found for almost half of that money: http://www.eshop.nl/winkel/Subwoofer/Jamo_SUB_210_zwart.html?utm_source=Tweakers.net&utm_medium=cpc

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
gasolin said:
davedotco said:
gasolin said:
davedotco said:
gasolin said:
no choice.

Try some of these.

So you would think that would work for my Boston A26?

How would i make my Nad D3020 play music with my Boston A26's from 85 hz and up ?

Woops, no pre-amp in/outs......... :rofl: Stupid amplifier......... ;)

Attenuators it is.

gasolin

Broner said:
davedotco said:

The Jamo Sub cost him 219 euro's but in the Netherlands it can already be found for almost half of that money: http://www.eshop.nl/winkel/Subwoofer/Jamo_SUB_210_zwart.html?utm_source=Tweakers.net&utm_medium=cpc

Yes i could have it cheaper from others country's but returning it if it doesn't work,somethings wrong with it or to get my money back could cost me 40€ or more and could take mabye 14 days?, also hardware,hifi is often cheaper from usa but with delivery,insurance (long way from usa to denmark),tax and so on it could be much more expensive compared to if i was living in usa

Although my boston a26 i was lucky to get them for only165$,120€/108£ each, with delivery, which is a good price compared to amazon

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
gasolin said:
Broner said:
davedotco said:

Yes i could have it cheaper from others country's but returning it if it doesn't work,somethings wrong with it or to get my money back could cost me 40€ or more and could take mabye 14 days?, also hardware,hifi is often cheaper from usa but with delivery,insurance (long way from usa to denmark),tax and so on it could be much more expensive compared to if i was living in usa
I can understand your position. I just wouldn't have paid that much for a sub if others sell it that cheap and it means that the resale value is very low.

Although my boston a26 i was lucky to get them for only165$,120€/108£ each, with delivery, which is a good price compared to amazon

Meh, I can get those here for 85€ a piece.

gasolin

Broner said:
gasolin said:
Broner said:
davedotco said:

I can understand your position. I just wouldn't have paid that much for a sub if others sell it that cheap and it means that the resale value is very low.

Can't look for a subwoofer in al countrys, do i only have to look in the nederland/holland because your are from that country?

What about germany,france,spain,italy,sweden...........and if want to look for something else, then theres mabye 5 subwoofers and 5 countrys i have to look for those subs and the best price, that would take alot of time

gasolin

Broner said:
gasolin said:
Broner said:
davedotco said:

Meh, I can get those here for 85€ a piece.

I got them cheaper then on amazon, theres always somewhere you can get something cheaper, you would go nuts trying to find the best price in 5-10 countrys each time you found something you would like to buy

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
gasolin said:
Broner said:
gasolin said:
Broner said:
davedotco said:

Can't look for a subwoofer in al countrys, do i only have to look in the nederland/holland because your are from that country?

What about germany,france,spain,italy,sweden...........and if want to look for something else, then theres mabye 5 subwoofers and 5 countrys i have to look for those subs and the best price, that would take alot of time

Hey, if you're happy with paying more, that's perfectly fine. It would have been a good idea though to contact the local internet dealer and ask for a discount if a product costs almost 100% more than in another country (such as with the Sub).

gasolin

Broner said:
gasolin said:
Broner said:
gasolin said:
Broner said:
davedotco said:

Hey, if you're happy with paying more, that's perfectly fine. It would have been a good idea though to contact the local internet dealer and ask for a discount if a product costs almost 100% more than in another country (such as with the Sub).

So do i really have to check prices in other country like germany,spain,uk,the nederland/holland,france,italy or just ask you Broner before i buy something?

I can get it cheaper in another country, can i pleace have a 40-60% discount, no you can just buy it where it's cheaper and then be happy with that (not to forget warranty and what it costs to send it back to the country with insurance (40€ to the nederlands/holland) and the time i have to wait to get it back(mabye 14 days), if i get a faulty product).

Also buying from danish stores i support them and often my money stays in denmark instead of going to other countrys

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
gasolin said:
Broner said:
gasolin said:
Broner said:
gasolin said:
Broner said:
davedotco said:

So do i really have to check prices in other country like germany,spain,uk,the nederland/holland,france,italy or just ask you Broner before i buy something?

I can get it cheaper in another country, can i pleace have a 40-60% discount, no you can just buy it where it's cheaper and then be happy with that (not to forget warranty and what it costs to send it back to the country with insurance (40€ to the nederlands/holland) and the time i have to wait to get it back(mabye 14 days), if i get a faulty product).

Also buying from danish stores i support them and often my money stays in denmark instead of going to other countrys

You’ve gotta do what you’ve gotta do. It's all very enjoyable to read. :cheer:

kanini

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Not sure whether to start a new topic or not... I have a similar question.

I got a pair of Tannoy DC6T SE floorstanders in December, mainly based on the great reviews in WHF and in particular the suggestion that they handle bass well. I had to get delivered as no-one nearby stocked them (so no auditioning :-( )

I have however been quite disappointed with the bass on them, with my mates much cheaper, older Wharfedales beating them hands down (tested in the same room). Not sure if I'm doing anything wrong, but they seem to handle sub bass quite well, but are lacking in the mid-low bass (I'd say around the 100Hz mark).

I tried adding my Jamo sub from my other (TV) room and it sounded better on some music, but way over the top on others.

Rock/Funk/House needed the boost, but D&B didn't and ended up too bassy.

I've now waited too long I guess to return the Tannoys (I was waiting for them to run in and improve, but little difference).

So, am thinking I need a sub to help matters.

I dont need something that goes really low, but something with EQ and that's fast and handles punchy music well.

Any thought's anyone please?

Dont want to go over £300 really. What about the B&W ASW608?

gasolin

kanini said:
Not sure whether to start a new topic or not... I have a similar question.

I got a pair of Tannoy DC6T SE floorstanders in December, mainly based on the great reviews in WHF and in particular the suggestion that they handle bass well. I had to get delivered as no-one nearby stocked them (so no auditioning :-( )

I have however been quite disappointed with the bass on them, with my mates much cheaper, older Wharfedales beating them hands down (tested in the same room). Not sure if I'm doing anything wrong, but they seem to handle sub bass quite well, but are lacking in the mid-low bass (I'd say around the 100Hz mark).

I tried adding my Jamo sub from my other (TV) room and it sounded better on some music, but way over the top on others.

Rock/Funk/House needed the boost, but D&B didn't and ended up too bassy.

I've now waited too long I guess to return the Tannoys (I was waiting for them to run in and improve, but little difference).

So, am thinking I need a sub to help matters.

I dont need something that goes really low, but something with EQ and that's fast and handles punchy music well.

Any thought's anyone please?

Dont want to go over £300 really. What about the B&W ASW608?

Try to ask Boner about this question he had the Tannoy DC6T before he got a pair of Adam A5X (he is also in this thread i have made and this one http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/going-from-floorstanders-to-small-active-speakers)

What amp do you have?

kanini

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Yes, it may be worth getting it checked out, but I used my mates Wharfedales (£120 ~15 years ago) on the same amp and got a decent bass, so I doubt my amp is at fault.

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
kanini said:
Yes, it may be worth getting it checked out, but I used my mates Wharfedales (£120 ~15 years ago) on the same amp and got a decent bass, so I doubt my amp is at fault.

The DC6Ts are quite a difficult load to drive. If I'm not mistaken the impedance goes down to about 2,9 ohms somewhere around 100 Hz. That might explain the difference. Having owned the DC6Ts, I can't say I've noticed a lack in bass in one of the lower segments.

It would also greatly surprise me if a pair of relatively cheap old speakers would beat the Tannoys in this area.

kanini

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Sorry gasoline. What I meant was my mate bought his Wharfedales 15 yrs or so ago for 120 quid. I tested on my system in Dec when I got my Tannoys as I was borrowing the Wharfedales until the Tannoys arrived. So side by side comparison in the same room and amp.

I too am a bit confused by the Tannoys performance. I don't think they are faulty as they came out of brand new boxes and both left and right show the same performance. Maybe something wrong with my room that they dont like... its about 4 by 5metres

The Ion amp gives 70w per channel so should be well up to the job. Maybe need to try my tannoys out in my TV room to see if they sound any better on my Sony receiver amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts