Subwoofer advice

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

gasolin

try a more powerfull amp, mabye even a nad.

If a much more powerfull and newer amp dosn't make them sing,punchy it's not the amp

Tried to listen to the Tannoys DC6T on youtube NON of them sounded punchy, Broner had a nad 356BEE and he missed some of the deep bass when his partner wanted something smaller and he got a pair of Adam A5X

kanini

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
OK. Have been doing some testing.

In my TV room attached to my sony str-da2400es AV receiver, I do seem to get a much better response from my tannoys.

However, I have noticed that if I sit back compared to sat forwards, with a 60cm difference in ear position, I get a miles bigger bass sound.

Unfortunately my music room is 60 cm shorter than my TV room (otherwise identical). So I am wondering if I've just made the wrong choice of speaker or if there's anything I can do to help?

If I could get the sound from my TV room in my music room that would be brill. My music room is 3.6m deep and 4m wide

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Good, we're getting somewhere. Please keep in mind that using this specific fairly old amplifier with two speakers, tells you very little about those speakers. The Tannoys are worth the money you paid, but you absolutely need a decent amplifier. They really are a heavy load to drive and therefore need some powerful amplification.

Now, you can play a little bit with positioning of the speakers. Play a little bit with the distance to the wall. It will certainly have some effect on the bass. You can also try toeing in the speakers a bit more.

gasolin

New update

Returned my jamo sub 210 because i need something with more tight and deeper bass.

looking at B&W asw 610,system audio SE175,audiovector sub signature (all used)

Had my sub at 56 hz and volume at min, i had to much round and soft bass tried to turn it off a few times to compare whit or without the sub.

One thing is still shure, a subwoofer makes a difference, leonard cohen live in London the first 10-13 songs sound good, removing the sub and returning it, i realised, leonards deep voice was sooo deep with the sub, infact it was to much, setting sub to 56 hz and leonards voice wass sooo deep an a bit to loud.

Thight, firm, precise, deeeeeeeeeep bass, no muddy,soft,sloppy,unprecise bas thanks.

The founder of system audio said in a video, bass is the toughest,hardest frequency to play, therefore a sub can't be cheap when he answered the question, is system audio gonna make cheap subwoofers?

If someone want's recommend me a subwoofer i would apreciate it if it has a high pass filter for my boston so they only play down to 80hz

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I think your expectations are too high for your budget. In many respects you get what you pay for. I think that there are also positioning and tuning issues with subs, so while it is easy to get a lot of (bloated bass), it can be hard to tune it for tight and deep bass, unless you are lashing out on more expensive models with decent DSP.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
ID. said:
I think your expectations are too high for your budget. In many respects you get what you pay for. I think that there are also positioning and tuning issues with subs, so while it is easy to get a lot of (bloated bass), it can be hard to tune it for tight and deep bass, unless you are lashing out on more expensive models with decent DSP.

My brief experience with BK subwoofers is that the Gemini, the entry level model is really only suited for home cinema.

The XLS200 worked well on music at lowish levels but became slightly disconnected when played a bit louder. Turning it down at higher levels helped but it then all but dissapeared at lower levels. Probably a speaker/room issue but I could not get it right.

The XLS400 (now with extraX) was more like it, the stability and control was much better, the least expensive sub that I have tried that appears to work well. Despite it's extra depth and power, much easier to integrate than the others. It is over £400 though...... :cry:

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:
ID. said:

My brief experience with BK subwoofers is that the Gemini, the entry level model is really only suited for home cinema.

The XLS200 worked well on music at lowish levels but became slightly disconnected when played a bit louder. Turning it down at higher levels helped but it then all but dissapeared at lower levels. Probably a speaker/room issue but I could not get it right.

The XLS400 (now with extraX) was more like it, the stability and control was much better, the least expensive sub that I have tried that appears to work well. Despite it's extra depth and power, much easier to integrate than the others. It is over £400 though...... :cry:

My Fostex works well for the price, but being small, sealed and designed for music rather than AV LFE it doesn't go that deep. Positioning is also less than ideal so I I have it set pretty low rather than trying to get it to blast and punch me with bass. The DB1is actually have enough bass for most music, but I listen to electronic music so I wanted to be able to dial in some sub-bass. I'd highly recommend it to the OP, but it isn't available outside Japan :p

TrevC

The problem with subs is that they usually energise a large bass resonance in most rooms, which has the effect of making the bass sound slow. In my room it was at 55Hz.

I use an XLS200 with an antimode 8033. The antimode removes that resonant peak and the differerence it made was astonishing. Well worth the money.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
TrevC said:
The problem with subs is that they usually energise a large bass resonance in most rooms, which has the effect of making the bass sound slow. In my room it was at 55Hz.

I use an XLS200 with an antimode 8033. The antimode removes that resonant peak and the differerence it made was astonishing. Well worth the money.

Yep similar in my room, but the resonance is around the point where my PMCs roll off, so it is relatively easy for me to create a dip at that point using the crossover on my sub. Not perfect, but a cheap and easy solution. II were more serious about my bass the antimode would be my preferred course of action.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts