Sub Suggestion Solicitation

raymeedc

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
I'm looking for a low cost musical sealed sub for my mid-fi setup consisting of a Marantz PM-6005 amp & Kef Q100 speakers in a very small room to be played at lowish volume levels, primarilly Classical. I've thus far narrowed my choice down to the SVS SB-1000. Am I making the right choice, sound & hookup ease-wise (there's no dedicated output for a subwoofer on the Marantz)? I have zero experience with subs. Any other suggestions?

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
raymeedc said:
I'm looking for a low cost musical sealed sub for my mid-fi setup consisting of a Marantz PM-6005 amp & Kef Q100 speakers in a very small room to be played at lowish volume levels, primarilly Classical. I've thus far narrowed my choice down to the SVS SB-1000. Am I making the right choice, sound & hookup ease-wise (there's no dedicated output for a subwoofer on the Marantz)? I have zero experience with subs. Any other suggestions?

Should be fine: just connect it with another set of speaker cables from the amp to the sub's high-level inputs, in parallel with the KEFs (perhaps using the speaker B outputs on the Marantz so you can easily switch it in and out while setting up).

Set the crossover so it just overlaps with the KEFs (say around 60Hz or so) and then adjust the gain until you can just hear clearly what the sub's doing.

Then turn it down a bit.

TRENDING THREADS