Sub for NAD D3020 (SB-1000, L12, B10d, other)?

xram

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
As I mentioned in another thread, I've just dipped my toes into the world of hifi with a NAD D 3020 and a pair of KEF Q100s. I'm very happy with this set-up, but I think my next move once I have the money will be to add a small sealed sub.

However, I have a question about how this will work with the NAD. It has a 3.5mm sub out on the back, and according to SVS SB-1000 or Rhythmik L12 (unless there are decent cheaper options that I'm not considering - it's really just for music, and don't need much power as I don't want to disturb the neighbors) and just set the crossover appropriately on the sub to blend with the speakers.

However, if in fact there is no functional high pass on the NAD, I wonder if I should get something that has speaker-level inputs and outputs, so that I can use the sub as a filter. The only sealed sub I've found in my general price range that does this is the NHT B10-d.

Or, is this not a big deal and will everything still sound good even with the Q100s putting out full-spectrum sound (KEF rates the Q100s down to 49Hz)?

What would you get if you were me, and how would you set it up? I'm hoping someone with experience will chime in. Thanks!

NS496

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
In theory, the attraction of using the 'sub out' in a relatively low power amp like the D3020 is 'bass management', same as with an AV-receiver, in that the sub's amp takes care of the lower frequency, leaving more of the (admittedly limited) power to be used in the higher frequency ranges... I don't know if this will still be the case with speaker level outputs?

The crossover is set at 80Hz if I remember correctly. Before saying the feature is 'not working' (sending full range to mains), I would at least do a 'firmware update' from the NAD website. Unfortunately, the update appears to work via Windows only, so I have not come around to doing it until I can find a non-mac computer somewhere to see if it makes a difference... These modern amps with their firmware can be temperamental it seems...

xram

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. So yours doesn't change either when you plug something into the sub out? I'm at the latest firmware version (2.8), but I'll give it a shot anyway if I somehow get someone with a Windows PC over here.

Even if using the speaker-level ins and outs doesn't save any power, would it theoretically improve the sound of the speakers if they're not having to deal with low frequencies? If I don't care about freeing up power from the amp (the current setup is plenty loud for my space still), is it not a problem to have the speakers putting out full range sound? What I don't want is an over-exaggerated low end or muddiness. I'm after subtle and seamless extension for music, not wall-rattling thump.

xram

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
gasolin said:
No high pass filter so the front speeaker dosn't get cut off at 80hz

Thanks. Do you mean that the D3020 doesn't have a high pass filter, or that you don't think I should bother trying to find a sub that has one, and should just blend the sub's low-pass to around 50Hz (seems low?).

Sorry to be obtuse!

gasolin

xram said:
gasolin said:
No high pass filter so the front speeaker dosn't get cut off at 80hz

Thanks. Do you mean that the D3020 doesn't have a high pass filter, or that you don't think I should bother trying to find a sub that has one, and should just blend the sub's low-pass to around 50Hz (seems low?).

Sorry to be obtuse!

The front speakers play the whole frequency range they can without any crossover,filter, if theres a low pass filter for the sub i don't know, but who cares, i mean all active subwoofers have a crossover so you can adjust the bass according to how much and deep bass the front speakers play

xram

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, yes, I meant setting the crossover on the sub to ~50Hz (I think the NADs low pass is fixed at 80, which is too high if there's no high pass also).

If that seems like an acceptable way to go, should I just get the SB-1000, or is there anything comparable to be had for cheaper (even at $475 refurbished, it's more than I paid for my speakers or my amp)? Ideally I want something small, sealed, and front firing that can do 30hz or lower musically for electronica and hip hop.

xram

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
Just got this response from NAD when I asked them about the high pass feature they mention in their whitepaper:

"Please be advised that the main output is unfiltered so always full range and sub out is -3dB @100Hz. main output is filtered only when Bass Eq is engaged but this is only required if using smallbook shelf speakers to get some more output around 80Hz."

So I guess it doesn't actually exist, despite what their own documentation (and several reviews) say. Disappointing...

NS496

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Ok, that is not so useful then. There goes my 'bass management' theory sadly... Also a bit contradictory to what I've read before, but can't remember the source.

xram

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
Just ordered the SB1000 - seemed like it'd do as well as the Rhythmik for my needs for a bit less money and a better return policy. We'll see how it goes!

xram

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
I'm glad to hear that. I'm still a little concerned about bass management. I really love the D3020 except for the (needless) lack of this feature.

Is there anything comparable out there (compact, with good sound, lots of inputs, and aptx Bluetooth) that has a high pass? The D7050 does, but is twice as expensive and has no analog inputs, so it's out. Any other options?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts