Sub £50 2-way speaker with decent drive units - recommendations please

insider9

I'm looking for the cheapest possible 2-way speakers that would have decent drive units in decently designed enclosure. I intend to take the passive crossovers out so don't even care much how the originals sound. Things that make no difference to me are cabinet volume, speaker make, cosmetic condition, size of drivers, age of units, whether they're standmounts of floorstanders. Things that matter are quality of drive units, preference of sealed or back ported design, bi wire terminals, preferably matched impedance of drivers.

Price is the most important factor here. The cheaper the better. Max budget £50. I will not spend a penny more :) The whole idea is to see what can be achieved at that budget when fully utilising minidsp.

insider9

Al ears said:
drummerman said:
Something from Mission perhaps.

Quite so,but for this sort of money I would be concerned about state of bass drivers in older second-hand speakers.

Thanks Al, good point. Although durability and long term use are not the goal the drive units will need to be decent enough. If they measure reasonably well that's a bonus but I will be correcting them so the sturdier they are the better.

It's more to experiment with what can be achieved with such budget speakers turning them active to compare them agains untouched Rosebuds. I've decided I will not be taking Rosebuds apart so need an alternative pair to play with.

DM, yes my first thought were Missions M71i, Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 and Eltax Linear Response 6.5. All speakers I had in the past and that usually can be had for circa £50. Or would a pair of Q Acoustics 2010 or similar be of equal quality?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't want to even know what junk sells for £50 per pair new. But if you are serious about challenging the Rosebuds, then try these Dayton Audio B652-AIR (£75 p/p *biggrin*).

insider9

Vladimir said:
I don't want to even know what junk sells for £50 per pair new. But if you are serious about challenging the Rosebuds, then try these Dayton Audio B652-AIR (£75 p/p *biggrin*).
No, not new. Used and probably vintage. Interesting link though.

Looked at the Missions suggested and will look for some info tomorrow. Also found cheap B&W Dm601

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
https://www.richersounds.com/product/standmount-speakers/wharfedale/diamond-9.0/whar-9.0-blk

£40 for a pair of spks from a decent make can't be too bad, may pop into my local branch myself.

*music2*

insider9

macdiddy said:
https://www.richersounds.com/product/standmount-speakers/wharfedale/diamond-9.0/whar-9.0-blk

£40 for a pair of spks from a decent make can't be too bad, may pop into my local branch myself.

*music2*

Thanks. I'm aware of these. The thinking is that drivers will be of a better spec on an old few hundred pounds (when new) speakers than new ones. I know there's no guarantee.

Anyway this reminded me that Diamonds 9.0 and 9.1 and BW 601 are not what I'm looking for being front ported.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts