MA Bronze 50 loud treble and weak static mids

SteamPunk123

Mar 12, 2021
Visit site
hi, i have pair of monitor audio bronze 50 hooked to sony str-dh750 av reciever and I find the treble to be too loud compared to other frequencies - even without higher mids.
All is balanced when in reciever I set -2db when speakers are near corner, -4db when they are near wall(but not near corner) and -6db when far from walls. But then the mids like with no energy - static(not dynamic) and without soul(sorry if this is bad description). And if treble has less volume than -2db, then sound is not detailed.
I personally like details of these speakers and I feel that bronze 50s can do the mids much better in some conditions - so no need to change them probably(i may be wrong although)
Also what is considered as bright? What I have seen on internet it should be treble and high mids oriented, but my sound is not considered bright if only treble are louder, not even higher mids, right?

Is there anything that can be done to increase mids volume - make it more dynamic and with soul? I care about whole midrange, not just lower mids or higher mids. I think Creative 2.1 or 5.1 speaker setups had all these mids, but no treble and detail and very weak sub.

What I found on internet and in my manual of bronze 50s that playing music on them for 100+ hours on low-mid volume can improve speaker quality very much. Is this true? Or how important is it to let them play? And what is low-mid volume in percentage plz? 25-40%? Can this process be faster if they play on higher volume as 75%? I didn't have chance to do this as my parents are still home this weeks... And don't worry about neighbors, they are making noises every day :).
Also what i found on internet is that different av reciever with more decent amp could do this trick if it has textured and significant mid-range frequency signal. Is this true? I'm going to upgrade my av reciever surely, as I want complete 7.1 setup(later on this) with reciever which can handle 6 80W and 1 120W speakers in full power(my can send only 20W to each channel if in 7.1 mode). Is that true? If reciever can do this trick, then what brands would you recommend me to do so? Denon, marantz etc. ? My budget is 1000€, but ideally i would like to spend just up to 600-700€.
Third thing what I found is speaker auto calibration in reciever. What exactly does this thingy do? Does it just set speaker volumes, or does it set some kind of inner equalizer that user can't touch? I don't have chance to try it now, because I don't have calibration mic for my reciever right now.

I will be using this setup primarily for music listening, so I want to set audio quality for that. 7.1 is because I will be using this setup to play pc games on it. Front speakers and center will be on computer desk and other speakers will be on speaker stands. What I have now is reciever and pair of ma bronze 50s as a starter pack.

I don't care about bass right now, I want only treble as they are in 0db position and full loud significant dynamic mids(not just lower or higher, but whole mid spectrum) and full sound down to 70hz - as i will get subwoofer lately for bass. Is that possible with things stated above or in some different way?

I would be grateful if you answer to all of my questions if possible, and sorry for my bad english.

Thank you very much.

Last edited:

manicm

Stupid question, but have you set the amp to only output in stereo, and only utilise the speakers you have? Also check you’re not playing in Movie mode or some such.

Also check if any speaker mode is applied. If there is you want to use Large or some such.

SteamPunk123

Mar 12, 2021
Visit site
Stupid question, but have you set the amp to only output in stereo, and only utilise the speakers you have? Also check you’re not playing in Movie mode or some such.

Also check if any speaker mode is applied. If there is you want to use Large or some such.
I have reciever set in 2.0 mode - 2ch mode, so it's utilizing only two speakers not in movie or such mode. Speakers are set to large in reciever(small just let me set crossover on the speakers).

D

Deleted member 116933

@SteamPunk123 question! is the amp second hand? if it is and the auto EQ has been used in the past and hasn't been reset then this might what the problem is with aggressive treble, ie its thinking its still in the old room and is applying its corrections for the old room. just a thought.

In regards to your positional audio for gaming, surround is still no match for gamers wearing headsets. Id say get yourself a decent Bluetooth headset probably cost a 100 euros for something decent.

There are plenty of exceptional AV amps for a decent price especially if your not too fussed about the latest and greatest HDMI this and DTS master audio that.

There's plenty of older arcamAVR's on ebay for 150 euros and up which would be more than "good" enough for the Dolby digital output of games.

They make remarkably good stereo amps to be honest, id quite happy use one in a second system.

Older Yamaha z9's and rotels would also do the trick and come in bang on budget, many of these options would have easily cost 2-5k back in the day, just left to rot because the spec's aren't up to date.

Use the tv as the HDMI hub and feed an optical cable into the amp

TBH you're using a stereo set of speakers truthfully are you ever going to go the full surround sound route in the next 5 years?

SteamPunk123

Mar 12, 2021
Visit site
@SteamPunk123 question! is the amp second hand? if it is and the auto EQ has been used in the past and hasn't been reset then this might what the problem is with aggressive treble, ie its thinking its still in the old room and is applying its corrections for the old room. just a thought.

In regards to your positional audio for gaming, surround is still no match for gamers wearing headsets. Id say get yourself a decent Bluetooth headset probably cost a 100 euros for something decent.

There are plenty of exceptional AV amps for a decent price especially if your not too fussed about the latest and greatest HDMI this and DTS master audio that.

There's plenty of older arcamAVR's on ebay for 150 euros and up which would be more than "good" enough for the Dolby digital output of games.

They make remarkably good stereo amps to be honest, id quite happy use one in a second system.

Older Yamaha z9's and rotels would also do the trick and come in bang on budget, many of these options would have easily cost 2-5k back in the day, just left to rot because the spec's aren't up to date.

Use the tv as the HDMI hub and feed an optical cable into the amp

TBH you're using a stereo set of speakers truthfully are you ever going to go the full surround sound route in the next 5 years?
Thanks for answer

yes, the amp is second hand, but i performed factory reset, so i think any eq should be gone. And aggressive is not the right word for treble. they're just loud compared to other frequencies - i think they are as they should be, but mids are static and relatively quiet. Vocals and instruments(or synthetic sounds) don't come out as i think they should be - they are very closed and lazy(still not sure if it's good described). I will post sound samples of how they sound comparing with creatives.

I don't like headsets. I get headaches when wearing too long = >2h.

And about that reciever - I don't need latest hdmi or dts features.
What i need is:
- spdif in and capability to decode audio through spdif - from soundcard that has dolby digital live
- multi stereo(later on that)
- ability to set anything without connecting external display to it - or web administration interface to set up anything
- ability to boost and open mids on the speakers

what would be welcome:
- bass and treble control of all speakers - not just front
- settable crossover for speakers

Could these old recievers from ebay do that?

about that multi stereo - i was used to old 5.1 speaker system from creative which was quite good for gaming and for music. I listened music on them in way that stereo sound was also cloned to center and back channels and i liked it and got used to it - that's why I want multi stereo feature in my reciever.

I thought these it was only entry level to pc audio and just a joke for hifi, but I quite liked them, but subwoofer was just too weak and they lacked some more detail as they didn't have tweeters, and the mids they produced were just very good - loud, dynamic and open.
After that creative set I wanted way more powerful subwoofer with better and lower bass and better treble. I tried many many pc speakers, but none of them had mids that creative set had. Almost 70% sounded tinny, some were tinny with booming uncontrolled bass(i look at you logitech) and none of them fitted my needs(I know 90% of pc speakers market and there aren't many of them... maybe before 10-18 years i would choose as there were way more pc speakers that day). So I went to hifi in thinking that my problems will dissapear with almost the cheapest hifi setup... But there are we. And no, i won't return to other pc speakers - these old creatives are still closest to what I want, but still not enough.

Yes, it's just stereo speakers with avr now, but as soon i will see that i'm coming with the right path I will upgrade rapidly to full 7.1 or 7.1 system.

Sorry for my bad english.

SteamPunk123

Mar 12, 2021
Visit site
do you think this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arcam-AVR300-7-1-A-V-Surround-Sound-Receiver-amplifier-home-cinema-100-watt/274708196315?hash=item3ff5e26bdb:g:UugAAOSwMS5ebq8c&LH_ItemCondition=4
or this avr: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arcam-AVR2...645179?hash=item4b8e577bbb:g:rK0AAOSwOJhgROzF
could make the speakers sound better in terms of mids(even in multi stereo mode)?
because it looks lovely and it looks that it has the features i need except ability to set anything in it without connecting external screen(according to its manual), but it's cheap, so i can forgive it if it can upgrade sound quality of bronze 50s.
also i'm not sure with this: can it decode signal from dolby digital live enabled card through spdif in?

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts