Stylus sometimes skating/jumping into the first track.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

I have started to encounter a problem with one of my Pro-Ject Elemental Turntables. I have two of these decks one each in both of my systems.

The newest one (bought on the 23rd of December) has started to ocasionally skip across the lead in grooves of some records. I've also noticed that the que lever seems to lower the tonearm a little slower than my other Pro-Ject Elemental.

I've also noticed ocassional distortion when listening to it through headphones tonight. I know it's not the records as they don't sound like that on the other TT.

Now given that this is a brand new TT and under guarantee, as well as the fact that these decks are pre set with tracking force etc at the factory. Should I take this back to Richer Sounds for a replacement? It's litterally played a handful of records and these records have no such problems on my other Elemental which is almost a year old now and is perfect.

What could it be?

Thanks chaps!

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Sounds like the tracking weight just needs adjusting.

Thanks, it would make sense.

The thing is it's supposed to come pre set from the factory with this turntable. I don't have a gauge to check or adjust it with and I don't want to start guessing.

I think I'll give the shop a phone call and suggest that the tracking weight seems off, see what they say.

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
....also check the tonearm lift bar, the bit that sits under the tonearm. These can in extreme circumstances rattle loose in transit. Causing the tonearm to never fully drop. It's just a case of eyeing it up and turning the little screw in the top of it clockwise to lower it down a mm or two.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Ok guys, I took it back to Richer Sounds this afternoon. Only right considering it's a factory set TT and it's hardly even a month old. I explained the issue and they had a play with it.

Turns out the stylus was defective causing it to have difficulty tracking the lead in groove. It was sometimes missing out a large chunk of the beginning of the first track as it was skipping so much upon contact.

A new stylus has been fitted free of charge which imediaetly cured the lead in skipping problem. Also an extra 0.5g has resolved the hesitant tone arm drop when queuing up.

I've got it back home and all seems well with it now. DougK you're right a set of scales is a must and I'm ordering a set immediately :)

Thanks for your advice chaps!

MeanandGreen said:
Ok guys, I took it back to Richer Sounds this afternoon. Only right considering it's a factory set TT and it's hardly even a month old. I explained the issue and they had a play with it.

Turns out the stylus was defective causing it to have difficulty tracking the lead in groove. It was sometimes missing out a large chunk of the beginning of the first track as it was skipping so much upon contact.

A new stylus has been fitted free of charge which imediaetly cured the lead in skipping problem. Also an extra 0.5g has resolved the hesitant tone arm drop when queuing up.

I've got it back home and all seems well with it now. DougK you're right a set of scales is a must and I'm ordering a set immediately :)

Thanks for your advice chaps!

Glad they managed to solve the problem for you. Enjoy.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Yes I'm pleased it's sorted. I'm so pleased I decided to treat both my turntables to some funky coloured slip mats by Pro-Ject.

Doug, yes I will invest in a magenifier of sort too. It will be handy to have. The scales are ordered and on their way now too :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts