My first cleaning session with the Pro-ject RCM

6and8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
First impressions. Build quality is OK, it’s easy to assemble. The vacuum is noisy but no noisier than a vacuum cleaner, took me (and my friend the cat) by surprise when I switched it on for the first time, but I got used to it. The difference is you don’t stand quite so close to your vacuum cleaner’s motor when hoovering.

The machine takes up about as much space as one of the larger 3 in 1 computer printers - about 12 x 15 inches, 12 inches deep with the vacuum arm in place. And it’s heavy. It’s easy to use, once you get the hang of it. And quick - you can have both sides of an LP clean, bone dry and ready to play in 2 minutes. Which is useful if you have a lot of records to clean.

One of the other advantages is with particularly dirty records you can clean and dry them, then play them to check if they need a second go, in next to no time.
I ended up using a little less cleaning fluid than suggested, it was running off the LP surface and onto the top of the machine casing. Sweeping technique helped, I found that using the brush at an angle rather than square across the LP helped contain the fluid. Plus, you can vary how much pressure you apply to the brush, useful with very dirty records.
But even with the clamp screwed down tightly there was a little fluid seepage onto the edges of the record label, but not much.
Does it clean any better than the Knosti? Dunno. There are too many variables to compare, once a record’s been cleaned you can’t return it to its original condition and clean it again to see which system works best! But I’m really happy with the results.

The main differences between the Pro-Ject and the Knosti are: you’re using a small amount of fresh cleaning fluid with each record rather than washing a whole batch in a bathful of increasingly dirtier cleaner, drying time is fantastically fast, it’s more convenient.
This time I used the provided cleaning fluid, next time I might try L’Art Du Son.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts