Style Speakers or Traditional?

bicandbob

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I am now in a position to upgrade my home cinema and wouldn't mind an opinion from those in the know. I am looking at getting either the Pioneer SC-LX85 or the Onkyo TX-NR3009 amp, both of which are excellent for my needs I'm sure. But my main dilema in which speakers to pair with them. I really like the Monitor Audio Silver RX6 AV12, but my 'Self Appointed Head of Decor' (the Mrs) wants trendier looking speakers, like the Monitor Audio Apex. Both are in my price range, and I presume will be well matched to either amp, but will I suffer a noticable drop in audio quality if I go for the Apex? Thanks for any input you may have.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Both amps you mention are excellent, as are the speaker packages, but there's no getting away from simple physics: a pair of hefty floorstanders and large centre speaker will give you more clout. But much depends on the size of your room, what you'll be listening to/viewing and just how much impact you require. Neither Monitor Audio system will disappoint.

bicandbob

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

From Julie's point of view it's the appearance of them. Our current system is the Audica CX3 (I think, with the tear drop profile) which is a style system and does look very nice, I have to say. But now i am in a position to upgrade, i want to get the best sound I can for my budget (which is 5K on amp and speakers and cables). My room is 5m x 3.8m approx. o not the biggest space, but room for either system probably?

Thanks

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Well there's no denying the RX6 AV12 package is on the bulky side, so if you have to 'compromise' with the Apex set-up you'll still get fantastic performance, so I wouldn't worry too much. It will work a treat with either amp.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
bicandbob said:
From Julie's point of view it's the appearance of them. Our current system is the Audica CX3 (I think, with the tear drop profile) which is a style system and does look very nice, I have to say.

Is a more conventional shape (but smaller) a little more acceptable if its nice and shiny, like most lifestyle speakers?

bicandbob

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi David,

If the performance is there, then yes, i would consider a small traditional system possibly. But for some reason i do have my heart set on Monitor Audio as a brand. Although i am sure there are equally impressive speakers out there that i haven't considered.

Whats did you have in mind?

And thanks Andy, I appreciate your advice too.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The Monitor Audio Radius R270HD10 package looks very sleek and comes in a range of traditional (walnut, rosewood) finishes and gloss black or gloss white or silver.

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/radius-hd/r270hd10/

The floorstanders are very slender with cabinets barely wider than their 4" drivers. They look great 'in the flesh' and there must be a finish amongst that lot that will match the decor.

£1650 for the speakers which leaves £3350 for amp and cables from your budget. That's enough for a good AV receiver isn't it? (Excuse me, but I am not into AV. So I don't know if £3350 is really enough or not.)

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
bicandbob said:
I am now in a position to upgrade my home cinema and wouldn't mind an opinion from those in the know. I am looking at getting either the Pioneer SC-LX85 or the Onkyo TX-NR3009 amp, both of which are excellent for my needs I'm sure. But my main dilema in which speakers to pair with them. I really like the Monitor Audio Silver RX6 AV12, but my 'Self Appointed Head of Decor' (the Mrs) wants trendier looking speakers, like the Monitor Audio Apex. Both are in my price range, and I presume will be well matched to either amp, but will I suffer a noticable drop in audio quality if I go for the Apex? Thanks for any input you may have.

I say if you wanna keep the "peace" with your other half AND be pleased with the result I honestly dont think you cant go wrong with Apex. It's absolutely one of the most competent compact systems out there! I myself chose this system going from a large floorstanding system having auditioned plenty of compact systems. There are however always certain compromises with smaller sized speakers, no way around that. But having that said on the whole the Apex pretty much kicks the ass of my previous (more expensive) and bigger system because of its wonderful synergy and engrossing reproduction. The beautiful and easily integrated design is a huge plus, in my book. If you can add a 2:nd AW12 subwoofer (like I have) you ought to be able to expect even greater things.

bicandbob

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for all your comments, I really appreciate the input. Given the positive feedback about the Apex range, and that it will keep the peace, i think that's what I will go for. Unfortunately the Sevenoakes in Lincoln has closed, and they had a supern auditioning room, so I can't easily demo them I don't think. But I do feel more confident that i won't regret 'compromising', so thank you very much :)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
bicandbob said:
Hi David,

If the performance is there, then yes, i would consider a small traditional system possibly. But for some reason i do have my heart set on Monitor Audio as a brand. Although i am sure there are equally impressive speakers out there that i haven't considered.

Whats did you have in mind?

And thanks Andy, I appreciate your advice too.

Don't worry, I'll stick to Monitor Audio :)

As Chebby has mentioned, there's the Monitor Audio Radius range, that have a number of models with which to 'pick n mix' a 5.1 package from to suit your taste or situation. There's also the Silver RX range, which you could look at small bookshelf RX1 front and rear, RX centre, and RXW12 sub (or RXFX rear for space saving), which comes in around the £2,300 mark in shiny black or white.

As mentioned, you could mix and match, so maybe RX across the front L/C/R and sub, and Radius R90HD's at the rear. Some owners have used the Radius R250HD as a space saving centre for the RX range.

Choice of receiver I would say will really depend on which speakers you go for, not only for a match regarding sound, but also set up. For an Apex package or the RX1 package, which will use the same crossover point throughout, you can use any receiver, but when mixing and matching small and smaller speakers like the package Chebby linked to, or RX front and Radius rear, I'd suggest a receiver that can set independent crossover points for each speaker.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Look at the Apex owners thread.

It would not be a compromise in any terms IMHO, but you will need to run the sub. As Ricky said get 2 subs and now your rocking.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts