stillpoints???

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Anyone use these for isolation.

I have them on trial for a week from my dealer, and wondering if anybody uses them or has any opinions on them.

Of course I wil listen to them, but as I live on my own and my amp is bloody heavy, my first attempt at getting them under it was a tad difficult.

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
These things?

http://www.lintone.co.uk/p0/stillpoints/267.htm

Not sure how little bits of aluminium or stainless steel can cost that much - there's more metal in one of my cheap saucepans.

What makes you think your amp needs isolating?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
It will be interesting to hear what, if any difference you think they make.

IME. Some of these things can make a surprising improvement, while others seem to do very little.

I'm delighted you are open minded enough to try.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
My opinion I don't think they will any or very little difference under the amp. maybe try them under the cd player. You want to get those rubber isolation feet for about £5 and see which makes the most difference.

Wonderfully engineered as the Stillpoints range is it is also horrendousely expensive.

A rack system that costs more than some 'hi end' amplifiers is very hard to justify, and well out of price range.

The individual stillpoint supports are expensive enough and I have never had the money or inclination to try them out.

As stated if they are going to make any noticeable difference to your sound then they are probably better used under source equipment or DACs.

I feel they would only make a noticeable difference if used in a hi-end system, and indeed if your hearing is perfect.

On a personnal note the only item I have isolated in my system (even though I have experimented with a great deal of isolation products, is the turntable.

Check this out:- http://www.stillpoints.us/essracka.html

Your for 8620 good old yankee dollars.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
My dealer said best under my amp as its the heaviest part of my equipment .......i think that was the reason anyway. The M6 is very heavy.

I can have the three of THE Ultra SS for £400 as they are a used item. At first I thought that my system was probably not high end enough to benefit.

Girlfriend here tonight so she gave me a hand setting them up, after laughing and ridiculing the idea.

Surprise surprise ahe could tell the difference. I could too, but maybe not as clear as her. Trouble is I have no idea if its the placebo effect, and impossible to do a blind test.

I am no hi fi buff and have no idea how todescribe the improvement. Music seems clearer, sharper?, and I feel as if the seperation of the music is slightly better. Girlfriend said there was a big improvement, but she is a lot younger than me :)

There is a definite improvement, but not sure its worth the outlay.

I am going to leave them under the amp all week, and then remove them. I should then be able to hear any loss of SQ straight away, if ive had a week without them.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
The only ones I use are under the cdp are these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acousti-AcoustiFeet-Anti-vibration-Case-Feet/dp/B003VREHJ4/ref=pd_sim_ce_3

Do they make a difference I'm not sure but could not be bothered to send them back as less than £5.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
The only ones I use are under the cdp are these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acousti-AcoustiFeet-Anti-vibration-Case-Feet/dp/B003VREHJ4/ref=pd_sim_ce_3

Do they make a difference I'm not sure but could not be bothered to send them back as less than £5.

At £400 I might have a different attitude :)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes of course, if mine cost £10 or more I would return them.

As for aluminium not sure why they would benefit the sound, that is not the most vibration absorbing material about, I know from using tripods, wood or carbon fibre should be better or some of those other fancy materials.

If I were you I would send them back for a refund. If you want to test them I would order a range of items like Black Ravoli and then carry out some tests, blind if possible and see which is the best.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I remember now, I had to place two of them under the heaviest part of the amp and the other one on other side to balance it.

i really did not want them to work as been lecturing my daughter for weeks about the value of money. :)

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I haven't been charged for them, he give me them as a trial.

I know they have to sell but he is a sound man. Two years ago I had a list of 3 speakers to try out to go with my system. He let me listen and then introduced the PMCs which were not on my list. They were in a different league to my short listed items.

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Even if they do work, the fact is it's a horrendous amount of money for what is a little lump of metal worth pennies.

For £400 you could acoustically treat your entire room including the microphone needed for the measurements.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Womaz said:
I haven't been charged for them, he give me them as a trial.

I know they have to sell but he is a sound man. Two years ago I had a list of 3 speakers to try out to go with my system. He let me listen and then introduced the PMCs which were not on my list. They were in a different league to my short listed items.

Thats OK then but still think you should compare them with other similar isolation products, all mail order items can be returned within 7 days for a refund, you may have to pay return postage though. There was a similar post a few weeks ago.

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like a lot of money to me too.

I used to work in flour milling and the calibrated weigh scales for the finished product were mounted on Tico.

It's a mixture of cork and rubber, it seemed to do the trick of isolating vibration from the surrounding machinery, think you can router it too.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/anti-vibration-pads-chips-tape/2861790/

Felt pads from B&Q would probably do the trick just as well as anything else.

Your money though :?

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I searched the boards but could not find anything.

certainly got me thinking and I would never have entertained anything like this before. I would have always thought that if I paid 2.5 k for my amp and over 500£ for my optimum glass shelved stand, well want more could I do.

I will see how the trial goes

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Leave them under the kit for as long as possible, and listen to some of your best known albums. Don't worry about trying to analyze it.

The acid test will come when you take them out....listen to the same albums again (over a few days), and if the music has lost a lot of its mojo, clarity, speed and impact, you will have your answer.

Often it's easier to hear when something is missing, rather than if its improved.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Leave them under the kit for as long as possible, and listen to some of your best known albums. Don't worry about trying to analyze it.

The acid test will come when you take them out....listen to the same albums again (over a few days), and if the music has lost a lot of its mojo, clarity, speed and impact, you will have your answer.

Often it's easier to hear when something is missing, rather than if its improved.

yes that's exactly what I intend to do. My first impressions are that there is an improvement but is a bug enough improvement for the outlay? We will see

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
Sorry it was not about Stillpoints but other products: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/anyone-have-any-experience-with-black-ravioli-isolation

thank you for this. Interesting!

Well day 2 and does seem to be an improvement. Not sure it's worth the outlay though. Keeping an open mind

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
You may be also interested in these, think Harry Potter uses em.

http://canadahifi.com/akiko-tuning-sticks-review-do-you-believe-in-black-magic/

davidvann

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
hi womaz,i have still points under my arcam bdp 300 and mt klyne 7 pre amp ,there the original stillpoint,they made a huge diffrence under both bits of my hifi,but if you get a chance try them under your cd player or preamp ,i would like to upgrade to the new ones,when i put my on system came alive with like you say clearer more focus and new found detail ,just say they worked well for me,i know i will get skinned alive buy the non beleviers buy making such a claim,but give them a chance for a week and when you take them out you will no if it's right for your system.also try clearlight audio rdc 4 cones which are very good but dont cost as much.good luck david

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
davidvann said:
hi womaz,i have still points under my arcam bdp 300 and mt klyne 7 pre amp ,there the original stillpoint,they made a huge diffrence under both bits of my hifi,but if you get a chance try them under your cd player or preamp ,i would like to upgrade to the new ones,when i put my on system came alive with like you say clearer more focus and new found detail ,just say they worked well for me,i know i will get skinned alive buy the non beleviers buy making such a claim,but give them a chance for a week and when you take them out you will no if it's right for your system.also try clearlight audio rdc 4 cones which are very good but dont cost as much.good luck david

i will give it a weeks trial and see how it goes

the reason it's my amp I am trying is that I use both my CD player and my network player as much as each other

also my amp is quite heavy so thought that was best

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
davidvann said:

i will give it a weeks trial and see how it goes

the reason it's my amp I am trying is that I use both my CD player and my network player as much as each other

also my amp is quite heavy so thought that was best

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I agree with David (and BigH).......these things should start under the Source and then work towards the speakers.

problem em is I have two sources and def not paying out for 2 lots of these :)

I am also just following what my dealer said ........thanks for the input though

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts