Star connected plug strips

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Oldphrt said:
CnoEvil said:
Oldphrt said:
CnoEvil said:
Oldphrt said:
I use a method that works for me.

So do Ellis and Quest.

They think it works for them, but it clearly doesn't because it isn't possible.

If it works for them, it works for them....just like your noisy records work for you. *diablo*

My records are extremely quiet thanks.

Maybe you've got Oldphrt's hearing - if not, we need to see proof, with measurements....and special Double Deaf tests ratified by a top University. *smile*

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

DougK said:
I have an admission to make, my car is sh*t and so is my hi-fi... I'm a real man!!!!

C'mon let's get this cr*apfest to 500 posts *biggrin*

well you clearly must think it brilliant beyond what it’s capabale of given your comments about cables not making a difference, so it must be the cables. But you’d rather make some childish post.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Quickly consider - blind test you linked to the ikea power strip affected the sound so m much that a high end hifi sounded like a budget one to the point noone could pick the high end one consistently.

You linked to that blind test,

Alternatively I filmed many people a far bigger sample than the blind test 3x the size or more listen to mains products

Only 1 person from around 50 people said they couldnt hear a difference all the others did.

So from these actual listening sessions - where music is playing and people are listening to it AKA HiFi

We can conclude that ikea strips makes good hifi sound budget and the vast majority of people who listened to certain mains products thought it improved the sound.

Ikea strips clearly makes a system Sound Worse for playing Music

Good mains conditoiners clearly make a system sound better for playing music.

Good work time for tea.

Do you really think nearly all manufacturers of hifi would supply a lead that made their expensive products sound like budget ones?

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

BigH said:
ellisdj said:
Quickly consider - blind test you linked to the ikea power strip affected the sound so m much that a high end hifi sounded like a budget one to the point noone could pick the high end one consistently.

Alternatively I filmed many people a far bigger sample than the blind test 3x the size or more listen to mains products

Only 1 person from around 50 people said they couldnt hear a difference all the others did.

So from these actual listening sessions - where music is playing and people are listening to it AKA HiFi

We can conclude that ikea strips makes good hifi sound budget and the vast majority of people who listened to certain mains products thought it improved the sound.

Good work time for tea.

Do you really think nearly all manufacturers of hifi would supply a lead that made their expensive products sound like budget ones?

this is what cyrus told me, does this answer your question big h,

“Cables are a highly subjective topic, and there are no definite answers. It may be of interest that we tune our products using the mains cables we supply, so in that regard they do form part of the tuned circuit. That doesn’t mean there isn’t better out there, but of course it’s down to your ears to decide whether you think a different cable might provide a better result.
In terms of specs, we don’t have any recommendations to give as it’s just so subjective. Auditioning prior to purchase is definitely the way to go.”

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
ellisdj said:

Good mains conditoiners clearly make a system sound better for playing music.

Good work time for tea.

you will probably find manufacturers advising people to plug directly into the wall not Ikea strips. I haven't seen any HiFi components come with Ikea strips??

It's funny Bryston advise power their amps from the wall or their own mains conditioner.

Where do Bryston amps often go studios mostly hmmm hmmm hmmm

D

Deleted member 108165

QuestForThe13thNote said:
DougK said:
I have an admission to make, my car is sh*t and so is my hi-fi... I'm a real man!!!!

C'mon let's get this cr*apfest to 500 posts *biggrin*

well you clearly must think it brilliant beyond what it’s capabale of given your comments about cables not making a difference, so it must be the cables. But you’d rather make some childish post.

Yip! It's about the most sane post on here *crazy*

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
ellisdj said:
BigH said:
ellisdj said:

Good work time for tea.

you will probably find manufacturers advising people to plug directly into the wall not Ikea strips. I haven't seen any HiFi components come with Ikea strips??

It's funny Bryston advise power their amps from the wall or their own mains conditioner.

Where do Bryston amps often go studios mostly hmmm hmmm hmmm

Well I have tried plugging my amps straight into the wall sockets and into a cheap extention block, I could not hear any difference so I don't bother about it now. If my hifi is not good enough to hear the difference then good, I don't have to waste any money on it. If you have an amp that hums then maybe you could try these things out.

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Price really isnt testament to sound quality in many cases so I think its a bit rich to say those who havent spent 8k on amplification wouldnt/shouldnt see any benefit if an effect was 'authentic'. I have one of those Behringer A500 amps that I use as a stand in when I'm swapping/selling boxes and they are very good amps and only cost £150 or so. The difference between my Classe and the behringer is really quite small when you consider one is roughly 20x the price of the other.

I just dont see how anything that's sole purpose is to supply power to the amplifier can have ANY discernable difference provided the power supply from the wall is decent. I mean, my history before home audio was in car hifi and we used to use capcitors etc to ensure the amps had an adequate reserve of power availabe for demanding music but thats because the power source was a car alternator. I just dont see it as being possible from anything BEFORE the amplifier.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Fair play - have you ever tried powering the whole system from something like an Isotek Aquarius or the models going back in years there has been lots of different ones over the years? - that was to BigH?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
JMac said:
I just dont see how anything that's sole purpose is to supply power to the amplifier can have ANY discernable difference provided the power supply from the wall is decent. I mean, my history before home audio was in car hifi and we used to use capcitors etc to ensure the amps had an adequate reserve of power availabe for demanding music but thats because the power source was a car alternator. I just dont see it as being possible from anything BEFORE the amplifier.

Well, you can take the advise of the people who say it can't; or you can throw common sense to the wind and take the advise of the people who say it can, and try it.

Then come back on here with what you found. Something like the Copper Line from Clearer Audio would do the trick. You've 60 days to send it back if your suspicions are right. A hefty dose of scepticism is perfect for testing these things.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Fair play - have you ever tried powering the whole system from something like an Isotek Aquarius or the models going back in years there has been lots of different ones over the years? - that was to BigH?

No never tried it, but I see it costs £1,500. I really don't think I need it on my electric supply which is pretty clean, does not suffer from noise or clicks. Anyway I don't want to spend that sort of money.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

JMac said:
Price really isnt testament to sound quality in many cases so I think its a bit rich to say those who havent spent 8k on amplification wouldnt/shouldnt see any benefit if an effect was 'authentic'. I have one of those Behringer A500 amps that I use as a stand in when I'm swapping/selling boxes and they are very good amps and only cost £150 or so. The difference between my Classe and the behringer is really quite small when you consider one is roughly 20x the price of the other.

i didn’t say that I said they would be less able to do so as the system is better which generally goes up with price, speaker are important too obviously, but in any event the guy never tried.

Whats going on before the amplifier is crucial as it’s in a circuit with the source and component plug., so power cables can be very important indeed

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
ellisdj said:

No never tried it, but I see it costs £1,500. I really don't think I need it on my electric supply which is pretty clean, does not suffer from noise or clicks. Anyway I don't want to spend that sort of money.

You wont have to spend a penny - where in the world do you live?

At the moment I have several boxes sitting here not doing anythign I will bring them to you and if you dont hear a difference I will give you £20 - long as you provide the tea and dont live in Aberdeen ?

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
BigH said:
ellisdj said:

Oh go on, try one. They have at least £20 worth of bits inside.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
abacus said:
Rather arrogant of fancy cable/conditioner owners to assume that just because someone doesn’t agree with you that they haven’t tried it the same as you, you will find most have, so stop pointing fingers and making excuses  and provide some verifiable evidence.

Bill

andrewjvt said he couldn’t be bothered before he has started 

Which post number did I say that?
Please provide or apologize for lying
Lying is very dishonest
I actually own a conditioner.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Ellis, I think you should go round all the sceptics one by one with your devise...and convert them. *biggrin*

You could be the Billy Graham of the Hifi world.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Andrewjvt said:
abacus said:
Rather arrogant of fancy cable/conditioner owners to assume that just because someone doesn’t agree with you that they haven’t tried it the same as you, you will find most have, so stop pointing fingers and making excuses and provide some verifiable evidence.

Bill

Which post number did I say that? Please provide or apologize for lying Lying is very dishonest I actually own a conditioner.

im a bit confused as you were disparaging conditioners in this thread but now you own one. That’s not normally your style, and I detect game playing. My point was you don’t seem to have either tried conditioners or power cables, but either way you self evidently don’t believe in them by your comments, which is fair play. My interest is simply that if as you say, you don’t believe in the tech, generally this makes people less inclined to try, they don’t have the experience to know. They are pessimists with little experience. The other one is generally the system is not revealing enough.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I have got previous

went to electro he now has stuff all over his room and stuff hanging from the ceiling.

went to Gazzips he now has stuff all over his room and lots of changes made since

inspired insider he is now acoustic measurments mad

I honestly don't know why people doubt me. Who else has done that? I even put a bobby more on the line so confident :)

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

CnoEvil said:
Ellis, I think you should go round all the sceptics one by one with your devise...and convert them. *biggrin*

You could be the Billy Graham of the Hifi world.

id only take them to those that have a genuine interest. Otherwise they would be back saying they make no difference.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
id only take them to those that have a genuine interest. Otherwise they would be back saying they make no difference.

Conformation Bias at its most powerful - except it only goes one way...apparently.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
abacus said:
Rather arrogant of fancy cable/conditioner owners to assume that just because someone doesn’t agree with you that they haven’t tried it the same as you, you will find most have, so stop pointing fingers and making excuses  and provide some verifiable evidence.

Bill

Which post number did I say that? Please provide or apologize for lying Lying is very dishonest I actually own a conditioner.

im a bit confused as you were disparaging conditioners in this thread but now you own one. That’s not normally your style, and I detect game playing. My point was you don’t seem to have either tried conditioners or power cables, but either way you self evidently don’t believe in them by your comments, which is fair play. My interest is simply that if as you say, you don’t believe in the tech, generally this makes people less inclined to try, they don’t have the experience to know. They are pessimists with little experience. The other one is generally the system is not revealing enough.

Don't ever miss quote me again just to prove your point

Just because I have an opinion that conditioners don't offer a performance improvement does not mean I have not tried one.

Do not miss quote me or anyone to prove a point again.

Now I've got a life to live so enjoy listening to your power conditioners.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Does that life include annoying dealers to the extent they no longer deal with you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts