Star connected plug strips

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Also I am telling you I can play any song on my system at any volume - there has been none so far I cant play - I was after some bad recording suggestions the other week to test this out - noone came up with any?

Since Lindsay came here I have things 5x maybe even 10x as good as that day - not even joking or underestimating

For example of a torture test track I can think of Muse Reapers becuase at stages it gets extemely intensely layered and I have had it go to like a hard mush here at those stages in the song. It doesnt do that anymore - it doesnt harden up and you can just about make out where the layers are so finely laid on each other in volume.

I bet that track sounds good on vinyl? I dont know many others thats why I was asking for some suggestions I want to test them

Try Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication, the original release. To be honest there are loads I'm surprised you don't know any.
Iggy and the Stooges' Raw Power, 1997 remaster, that's meant be pretty bad. Also

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
ellisdj said:
Also I am telling you I can play any song on my system at any volume - there has been none so far I cant play - I was after some bad recording suggestions the other week to test this out - noone came up with any?

Since Lindsay came here I have things 5x maybe even 10x as good as that day - not even joking or underestimating

For example of a torture test track I can think of Muse Reapers becuase at stages it gets extemely intensely layered and I have had it go to like a hard mush here at those stages in the song. It doesnt do that anymore - it doesnt harden up and you can just about make out where the layers are so finely laid on each other in volume.

I bet that track sounds good on vinyl? I dont know many others thats why I was asking for some suggestions I want to test them

Try Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication, the original release. To be honest there are loads I'm surprised you don't know any.
Iggy and the Stooges' Raw Power, 1997 remaster, that's meant be pretty bad. Also

Thats a good shout as that is a naughy one - I will see if I can get that - do you have a link to a CD with it on it??

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

You don’t have to waste your time buying conditioners. You trial first. If you see it as a waste of time, you probably won’t trial at home first. Fair enough. You aren’t in this debate mate ; how can you be with no experience.

There are no hard and fast rules, but clearly it’s gonna be easier for amplification double the price to reveal any changes you may throw at the system, if you accept any changes (and assuming you can be bothered to ‘waste time’).

if You haven’t tried you are in no place to talk of cut offs to be bothered.

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
Ellis Wrote
So from this assumption all transformers sound the same as well?? And capacitors?

Eh? WTF are you on about? Where does it suggest that?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I was asking it was a question?

Because the transformer is connected to the incoming mains supply which then feed capacitors which smooth the electrical current that is what you said and I googled briefly - is that correct?- which of the 2 makes the difference to sound quality or do both the transformer and capacitors affect sound quality??

Thanks

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
You don’t have to waste your time buying conditioners. You trial first. If you see it as a waste of time, you probably won’t trial at home first. Fair enough. You aren’t in this debate mate ; how can you be with no experience.

There are no hard and fast rules, but clearly it’s gonna be easier for amplification double the price to reveal any changes you may throw at the system, if you accept any changes (and assuming you can be bothered to ‘waste time’).

How can anything the mains is fed through affect the quality of the sound of the amplifier when all audible traces of the original mains waveform have been removed?

abacus

Evidence p;ease

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Oldphrt said:

How can anything the mains is fed through affect the quality of the sound of the amplifier when all audible traces of the original mains waveform have been removed?
So the transfomer doesnt affect sound quality ?

abacus

Rather arrogant of fancy cable/conditioner owners to assume that just because someone doesn’t agree with you that they haven’t tried it the same as you, you will find most have, so stop pointing fingers and making excuses and provide some verifiable evidence.

Bill

nick8858

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
abacus said:
Rather arrogant of fancy cable/conditioner owners to assume that just because someone doesn’t agree with you that they haven’t tried it the same as you, you will find most have, so stop pointing fingers and making excuses and provide some verifiable evidence.

Bill

Plus One for this.

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
ellisdj said:

Because the transformer is connected to the incoming mains supply which then feed capacitors which smooth the electrical current that is what you said and I googled briefly - is that correct?- which of the 2 makes the difference to sound quality or do both the transformer and capacitors affect sound quality??

Thanks

If the smoothing capacitors don't eliminate ripple the thing will hum. The transformer has to handle the current the amplifier takes, but that of itself won't affect sound quality unless the current or voltage limit is reached. It's hard to explain it in a non-technical way. My argument is that as long as the PSU receives 240v it will perform identically, regardless of any filtering or conditioning added. How can it not be so?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
That is interesting because certain PSU Builder use certain transformers built by certain people because of how they sound - when they could buy an off the shelf one with the same spec - I am pretty sure on that one - what do you think to that?

nick8858

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Totally agree. Its hocus pocus bunkum. What do these "conditioners" do anyway? The claim is that they somehow transform the mains supply into some form of pure eupercharged energy?

Oldphrt said:
ellisdj said:

Thanks

If the smoothing capacitors don't eliminate ripple the thing will hum. The transformer has to handle the current the amplifier takes, but that of itself won't affect sound quality unless the current or voltage limit is reached. It's hard to explain it in a non-technical way. My argument is that as long as the PSU receives 240v it will perform identically, regardless of any filtering or conditioning added. How can it not be so?

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Oldphrt said:

So the transfomer doesnt affect sound quality ?

I'm not talking about transformers, I'm talking about mains leads not making a difference. Stop introducing red herrings.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
ellisdj said:
BigH said:
ellisdj said:

Thats a good shout as that is a naughy one - I will see if I can get that - do you have a link to a CD with it on it??

They are albums so I don't unsterstand your comment. Most of the Californication versions are meant to be poor, but there have a been a few less compressed versions floating around recently which sound a lot better, it's not the sort of music I play so I don't take a lot of interest. I'm sure you can buy on Amazon for a £1 or so.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

abacus said:

Bill

andrewjvt said he couldn’t be bothered before he has started

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
2 points here - Big H if your happy with the standard album californiacation that makes life easy, I thoght you wanted me to try a specific version and I wasnt sure what album that would be on that was all.

I am asking about OldPHrt Transformers because that is connected to the incoming mains and therefore if a Transfomer can affect sound quality then its not only the smoothing capacitors that affect sound quality - thats why I am trying to ask you about?? Looking up details I have from one of the best power supply designers certain things are mentioned to do with saturation but also ways of winding around the cores and stuff.

What causes a transformer to saturate??

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
ellisdj said:
That is interesting because certain PSU Builder use certain transformers built by certain people because of how they sound - when they could buy an off the shelf one with the same spec - I am pretty sure on that one - what do you think to that?

There's no reason to do that. Two identically rated transformers can only perform in the same way. Certain brands might look better on any sales blurb I suppose.

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
ellisdj said:
2 points here - Big H if your happy with the standard album californiacation that makes life easy, I thoght you wanted me to try a specific version and I wasnt sure what album that would be on that was all.

I am asking about OldPHrt Transformers because that is connected to the incoming mains and therefore if a Transfomer can affect sound quality then its not only the smoothing capacitors that affect sound quality - thats why I am trying to ask you about?? Looking up details I have from one of the best power supply designers certain things are mentioned to do with saturation but also ways of winding around the cores and stuff.

What causes a transformer to saturate??

If it was rated at 240V and you doubled the voltage it would reach saturation point and burn. Don't do it is my advice. Google is your friend.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
ellisdj said:
BigH said:
ellisdj said:
anyone can go to the HiFi show live in Windsor in November this year I think.

Go in to the Sound Fowndations room and listen to a great sounding system being powered off Isotek and Furutech products. It's been seriously great the last 2 years

that's one example

The Bristol Clarity alliance best sound of the show room astin trew and air audio system with the reel to reel tape was being powered from a balanced mains product not sure the name of that one.

Go out to Munich room after room will be out there this year so will film them.

That's 2 off the top of my head + Munich

BigH demo me your system sounding great.

Reminds me of a hifi show when a well know brand forgot to bring their fancy cables so they had to buy the standard cables from B&Q, many people commented on how good those orange cables sounded.

Someone took apart one those fancy cables and found it was a complete con. I hope your videoing technique improves, I can't watch your videos, they are all over the place, maybe you need to buy a tripod?

I dont see the resemblence there, thats bit of a stretch I think. I dont rememeber hearing about that in the last 10 years? When was that?

Genuinely go to the show, its a great show with Great sound in pretty much every room a real cut above and see whats being used and whats not.

I will try and attend one of the normal joe blogs exhibitor shows as thats where someone is most likely to be able to surprise and show me I am wrong. How does that sound?

Maybe dont watch my videos if they are not up to scratch for you, I am doing my best and recently invested about £800 in stabilsation equipment for show videos, which are hard as I have to work around all the people visiting. Maybe watch the other videos that people are creating for them instead.

Fair enough, it's not just the stabilisering, I think you need to pan more slowly and keep more level, a tripod is not expensive, you can pick them up used for about £30 or reasonably one new around £100 plus a panning head it will improve your videoes no end, IMO, also you can use it for filming unattended. Or if too many people then a monopod may help. But I think with a bit more practice you should be ok.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Oldphrt said:
ellisdj said:

There's no reason to do that. Two identically rated transformers can only perform in the same way. Certain brands might look better on any sales blurb I suppose.

The custom manufactured mains transformers use oversized grain orientated silicon steel cores and are wound to avoid core saturation in use and to operate quietly both electrically and mechanically

From what you just said it cant happen anyway?

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Isn’t the rating a different question to the specification old fart. We are going down into figures and measurables all the time with you.......don’t you think these owners in hi Fi firms pour over what components do to sound quality. They can’t design hi Fi just on spec.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts