SqueezeBox Touch problem

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I've recently bought a SqueezeBox Touch which I am really happy with for the most part. The only issue that I've found is when playing music there's sometimes a very brief pause/stutter near the start of tracks that lasts for a fraction of a second and then it happens again at the end of the track about five seconds before it finishes.

The SBT isn't connected to any networks. There's just a 64GB USB memory stick containing about 6000 MP3s plugged in the back.

Any ideas what could be causing the brief pause?

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Any chance you can set up the LMS (Logitech Media Server) on a separate PC and connect your Touch to that instead - just to check the same problem doesn't reoccur there? The performance of the Touch's server isn't the best. You might be better off longer term setting up a Raspberry PI as a cheap server server and plugging your USB drive into that instead.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I can't say I've come across this problem with my SBT Steve, and I've been using mine for years now. However, I've never used a USB stick with mine though.

My problem now is being unable to stream Spotify on it any longer. I can't fathom out how to use something called Spotty (a plug in?) so at the moment I've got a long USB cable running from my laptop into my Beresford DAC. To be honest it sounds great, but who wants unsightly wires running across the lounge carpet?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
tino said:
Any chance you can set up the LMS (Logitech Media Server) on a separate PC and connect your Touch to that instead - just to check the same problem doesn't reoccur there? The performance of the Touch's server isn't the best. You might be better off longer term setting up a Raspberry PI as a cheap server server and plugging your USB drive into that instead.

Using a Raspberry PI as a server isn't out of the question at some point in the future.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
You might be able to give your existing router a new lease of life by installing Openwrt onto it, and this would open up the option of installing the LMS server software onto it. This is not a job for the faint hearted though!

I still think for now a £30 Raspberry PI3 in a £6 case plugged into your router is a slightly less neat but better option and there are lots of internet resources to help you set it up.

As an aside, you may be interested to know that I have managed to get a Simple Audio Roomplayer+ (with amp) working as a Squeezebox player. For £80 (almost new) I have a Squeezebox streamer / amplifier in a single rather smart looking and compact box. If you decide to expand your Squeezebox ecosystem it might be worth thinking about.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
When using a USB or SD card, the Touch's internal sever is used. This internal server is compromised due to the Touch's limited memory. However I've found that you keep albums and playlists to a maximum limit of 99 tracks or less it works perfectly.

steve_1979 said:
When using a USB or SD card, the Touch's internal sever is used. This internal server is compromised due to the Touch's limited memory. However I've found that you keep albums and playlists to a maximum limit of 99 tracks or less it works perfectly.
Thats interesting Steve, because mine hasn't worked on the USB stick recently. Is the track limit you refer to about the music on the stick itself?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
nopiano said:
steve_1979 said:
Thats interesting Steve, because mine hasn't worked on the USB stick recently. Is the track limit you refer to about the music on the stick itself?

The USB stick is 64GB and has about six or seven thousand tracks on it but that's not the problem. The issue occurs when I play an album or playlist that has over 99 tracks in it.

For example I have made a Mozart Symphony compilation containing all the best bits from all of his symphonies. This album used to have 104 tracks in it and this is one of the albums that had the issue. Now that I've moved 5 of the tracks so that there are 99 left it seems to be fine.

steve_1979 said:
nopiano said:
steve_1979 said:

The USB stick is 64GB and has about six or seven thousand tracks on it but that's not the problem. The issue occurs when I play an album or playlist that has over 99 tracks in it.

For example I have made a Mozart Symphony compilation containing all the best bits from all of his symphonies. This album used to have 104 tracks in it and this is one of the albums that had the issue. Now that I've moved 5 of the tracks so that there are 99 left it seems to be fine.
Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately that means I have a different problem!

londonguy

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
DIB said:
I can't say I've come across this problem with my SBT Steve, and I've been using mine for years now. However, I've never used a USB stick with mine though.

My problem now is being unable to stream Spotify on it any longer. I can't fathom out how to use something called Spotty (a plug in?) so at the moment I've got a long USB cable running from my laptop into my Beresford DAC. To be honest it sounds great, but who wants unsightly wires running across the lounge carpet?

its really annoying Spotify dropped support with barely any notice for squeezebox. My NAS is an arm model so spotty won't work on it even if I could figure out how to do so. It's making me seriously consider cancelling my Spotify subscription if the only thing I can play it on is the car stereo, not worth ten quid a month to do that.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
One of they Google Chromecast Audio knick-knacks will do the same thing for £30 surely. Spotify is the first app listed here ...

https://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/chromecast/audio/apps/

Connect to amp/speakers with 3.5mm - RCA phono lead or to your DAC with optical.

If I didn't have a - largely - Apple/Airplay system, i'd use one.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
londonguy said:
DIB said:

its really annoying Spotify dropped support with barely any notice for squeezebox. My NAS is an arm model so spotty won't work on it even if I could figure out how to do so. It's making me seriously consider cancelling my Spotify subscription if the only thing I can play it on is the car stereo, not worth ten quid a month to do that.

I've figured out the Spotty Plug-In. Actually it wasn't that hard, just read a few helpful threads on other forums.

Anyway it works fine.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts