Sqeezebox 3

wolfie01902

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Hi all, Just bought my first Squeezebox 3 (and first post on forum) I’m absolutely thrilled by it. But although not the most technically minded I do love good hifi, and I’m already interested in getting every last drop of performance from my Squeezebox.
I've heard about changing the power supply and fitting an external DAC could someone suggest anything?

Current system Creek amp & headphone amp Linn Genki cd player & Monitor Audio Studio 20 speakers
Cheers
Jez UK

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
Hi Jez,

What sort of cabling are you using with this system? Have you thought about upgrading those? While there are a good number of options in terms of the upgrade you're looking in to, a cable upgrade might be more cost effective.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Had a Squeezebox 3 at home some time back, and while it sounded OK through its analogue outs, it sounded even better when run digitally into my TAG McLaren Audio AV32DP AV processor, or when used with a Musical Fidelity X-DAC V3 DAC. So that suggests the unit has more to give when run with a higher-quality digital section.

Hadn't heard about upgrading the power supply, though the Transporter, which of course uses the same internal gubbins but with an improved power supply and much better DACs - and happens to cost several times more - sounds wonderful

david_tring

Jan 20, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
Had a Squeezebox 3 at home some time back, and while it sounded OK through its analogue outs, it sounded even better when run digitally into my TAG McLaren Audio AV32DP AV processor, or when used with a Musical Fidelity X-DAC V3 DAC. So that suggests the unit has more to give when run with a higher-quality digital section.

Hadn't heard about upgrading the power supply, though the Transporter, which of course uses the same internal gubbins but with an improved power supply and much better DACs - and happens to cost several times more - sounds wonderful

[/quote]

Hi Andrew, as I haven't had even one reply to my query posted elsewhere on these forums (and you're the only one to admit to using a Sqeezebox3) could you advise me on this? The What Hi-Fi review of the Sqeezebox 3 said that it could play Apple Music Store files with a bit of "jiggery-pokery". What does this involve? Is it a practical proposition for day-to-day usage? Does it cover all the high-quality file formats downloadable?

Cheers - David

A

Anonymous

A lot of people on these forums and elsewhere are singing the praises of the Beresford TC-7510 DAC which is only just over £100. I have not heard one but am thinking of trying one with my Squeezebox as it is supposed to bring great results.

Why don't you get one, try it and let me know if it is any good or not!

James

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="david_tring"]Hi Andrew, as I haven't had even one reply to my query posted elsewhere on these forums (and you're the only one to admit to using a Sqeezebox3) could you advise me on this? The What Hi-Fi review of the Sqeezebox 3 said that it could play Apple Music Store files with a bit of "jiggery-pokery". What does this involve? Is it a practical proposition for day-to-day usage? Does it cover all the high-quality file formats downloadable?

Cheers - David[/quote]

Sorry, not a Mac music person - not really a computer music person at all TBH - so not up on this jiggery, let alone the pokery.

Anyone else?

A

Anonymous

Don't thinks so. To be honest I've never really been into buying downloads as the bit rates are usually so low.

I have a couple of DRM protected WMA downloads and the squeezebox doesn't seem to detect them so on this basis I would say no, it won't play them. Could well be a setting or tweak that allows it though so might be worth checking out the slim devices forums and asking the question there for a definitive answer.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/

James.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="wolfie01902"]Hi all, Just bought my first Squeezebox 3 (and first post on forum) I'm absolutely thrilled by it. But although not the most technically minded I do love good hifi, and I'm already interested in getting every last drop of performance from my Squeezebox.

I've heard about changing the power supply and fitting an external DAC could someone suggest anything?

Current system Creek amp & headphone amp Linn Genki cd player & Monitor Audio Studio 20 speakers

Cheers
Jez UK

[/quote]

hi,

I own SB3 and add external DAC, a shek d1 uses TDA 1543 chip, it cost around 150 quid new, i bought it 100 from ebay.
the sound is better than built in sb3 DAC, more airy, deeper staging, rounded edge, smooth treble. I also use linear PSU for the shek d1 from local store here in Indonesia. if you consider buying PSU upgrade from CI Audio for 300 usd i think it will sound less impressive than spending it on a new DAC. And if you use external DAC you don't need to replace the SB3's Switching mode Power supply (SMPS) to linear PSU only the external dac's PSU should be upgraded.

regards,
wun

A

Anonymous

Hi, sorry to state the obvious, but make sure you rip in the highest quality (lossless) to get the best from the Squeezebox. Also, consider using a wired network rather then the wireless as this may improve the signal. I've used the box for 2 years now and it's really great but for the best sound I must confess that the original CD in a good player still has the edge on quality. Finally, the guys at Squeezebox were really helpful and they have a good forum for Q&A's too.

Hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="david_tring"][quote user="Andrew Everard"]

[/quote]

Hi Andrew, as I haven't had even one reply to my query posted elsewhere on these forums (and you're the only one to admit to using a Sqeezebox3) could you advise me on this? The What Hi-Fi review of the Sqeezebox 3 said that it could play Apple Music Store files with a bit of "jiggery-pokery". What does this involve? Is it a practical proposition for day-to-day usage? Does it cover all the high-quality file formats downloadable?

Cheers - David[/quote]

Google "myfairtunes7" ;-)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts