Spotify and a Netbook?????

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
A Netbook to run Spotify on. Which is then hooked up to my audio equipment.

I won't be using it for Anything else. No surfing, emails, videos, photos, just spotify > into stereo.

I will then control Spotify using an iPod Touch app called remoteless.

And have the lid closed at all times.

Can someone advise if a "Netbook" is capable of running Spotify? before I part with any cash.

The ones i've seen so far have Windows 7 starter pack.

Is a Netbooks sound quality in any way inferior to a standard laptop via the headphones socket?

Thanks for any info.

daveh75

Luke Kenobi:Can someone advise if a "Netbook" is capable of running Spotify? before I part with any cash.

Yes,no problem. The only system requirements for Spotify are Windows XP or newer, and OSX 10.4 or newer for a mac.
http://spotify.software.informer.com/wiki/#System_requirements
Is a Netbooks sound quality in any way inferior to a standard laptop via the headphones socket?

Thanks for any info.No, in so far as, connecting via the headphone out of netbook/laptop isn't usually that great in terms of SQ anyway!!

A

Anonymous

Agree with previous post. Analog SQ of netbooks may vary, just like that of laptops. A mini usb dac (Nuforce udac or something similar) would then be a good upgrade in SQ. Or the use of some digital sound processing (SRSlabs.com). My netbook has a Realtek soundcard and the Asus driver has SRS capabilities build in for free.

I would send the remoteless norwegians an email to check if their app works with W7 starter edition.

A

Anonymous

Very informative thank you.

Good idea to check the apps compatability with W7 starter pack.

I think i'll go for Asus Netbook.

Thanks also for the USB dac advise.
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

After a bit of surfing I came across Airport Express.

My main task to solve is getting Spotify into Hi Fi.

My PC is in different room from the Hi Fi.

Hence I thought a Netbook in my Hi Fi rack was what I needed.

15-20metre interconnect = bad idea.

Can I connect PC in other room to Airport Express plugged in near to Hi Fi and connected to Hi Fi.

Is this how it works. And would save on buying a Netbook.
emotion-42.gif
emotion-42.gif
emotion-42.gif

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Thanks v much daveh75.

The Airport Express/Airfoil now seems the much better option for me
emotion-2.gif

With ability to stream to iPod Touch also.

Will I still be able to use the remoteless app for Spotify playback control?

daveh75

Luke Kenobi:Will I still be able to use the remoteless app for Spotify playback control?That i'm not sure on, as i dont do Ipods!!

But i'm sure when JD or the Prof spot this thread,they'll be able to advise...

A

Anonymous

PC to Airport Express is a great setup...if you can get it to work. I run this set up using iTunes and it works very well, great sound quality through the optical out. However, when I run airfoil through an n-type Airport Express the optical output has loads of dropout. It works fine for Spotify with the analogue output but Rogue Amoeba (who created Airfoil) say they cannot fix this problem on newer Airport Expresses, though they claim the problem is less on older AEs.

So if you want to run a newer AE with Airfoil and Spotify you can only use analogue out, which is actually quite decent. I f you want great sound quality you may need a laptop straight into a DAC, but that will also have problems to overcome no doubt.

Personally I ain't listening to grade B sound for the next number of years so am looking into getting a laptop, which of course has all the functions of a PC and acts as a backup storage area for all your music....

John Duncan

I haven't found remoteless very good tbh. Whilst it's a bit awkward, I found using a VNC client to basically control the screen of the host PC was easier to do (though you spend a lot of time scrolling around the screen). Do try remoteless first though and see if you can live with it.

As for Airport Express, can't comment on 'newer' ones since mine is probably about two years old, but it's certainly the way to go in terms of convenience (including Airfoil, essential if you want to stream anything other than iTunes).

A

Anonymous

So does your optical out work with airfoil John? Any dropouts?

DrizztDan

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
this is an interesting thread as is currently what I am looking into.

• Pc in different room has all my music and can stream spotify.
  • my lounge has my lovely Hi Fi which would great to listen to high quality (as high as i can get from the web) through these speakers.
  • sitting down on my sofa controlling this all with my iphone.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
daveh75:.....Is a Netbooks sound quality in any way inferior to a standard laptop via the headphones socket?

Thanks for any info.No, in so far as, connecting via the headphone out of netbook/laptop isn't usually that great in terms of SQ anyway!!

Well, the output on my Samsung NC-10 is absolutely dire. The worst I've ever heard and totally unlistenable. My sister has a later version of the same model and it sounds much better. Maybe I got a duff one?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts