Spendor A5 vs A6

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
OK, so here's the thing. I haven't owned the A5's for more than a week. But suddenly I got some more cash than I thought (return of taxes from gov). Anyways I wonder if it's worth it to trade the A5's for some A6's (my dealer has no problem with it, ofcourse need to pay the difference).

Are the A6's really better?

Thanks.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Yes. Even though the A5 is a three way system, the A6's two way uses a better quality bass driver. The A6 opens up far more than the A5 does, and adds a little 'sparkle' to the presentation. Bass is a little deeper with more scale, and is a little easier to drive too. If your Sugden can handle the A5's without struggling, the A6's won't be a problem.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the (fast) reply Dave! I'll audition them and see if I like their sound more. The Sugden doesn't have any problems to drive the A5's, I'm curious what it will do in combination with an A6 (lots of positive things come to my mind)!

A

Anonymous

The A5 isn't a 3-way, it's a 2-way with 2 woofers.

Does anyone else think that these speakers look a little, er, drab for the money?

A

Anonymous

A 6's ? I have them and they are the single most expensive hi fi item I 've purchased. I jumped from B and W 685's to the Spendors and it has been opening a window onto a new world. The space, separation, detail is extraodinary.

So good in fact that I am wondering if decent speakers aren't the single most important item in any system - these babies have turned ordinary source material into a wonderful sound

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
ChrisMM: The A5 isn't a 3-way, it's a 2-way with 2 woofers.Technically, 2.5 way
emotion-1.gif

Sonic Dreamer

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm presently looking for a pair of audio speakers to go with my Marantz KI Pearl SACD player and Amp.

I demoed Spender A6's several weeks back at Sevenoks Hi-Fi at Holborn, London and thought they were good, but not 100% sure why they are so lauded at What Hi-Fi Towers. I liked their seductive warmth, but was somewhat disappointed with the degree of separation particularly at higher volume.

I more recently listened to a pair of Spender STs (Statement), again at Sevenoks Hi-Fi Holborn and wow you could tell where the extra £4k in cost went. However, I gather the piano black lacquer finish soaks up about £1.5k to £2k of the costs due to the labour intensity of applying the finish. I do reckon, that aside the extra £4k is well worth it.

I demoed three pairs of floorstanding speakers at Grahams Hi-Fi in London today, with a Naim Supernait Amp and Linn Akurate CD player.

1. B/W 802D speakers (£9.5k).

The Supernait Amp really struggled to control the bass, which was decidedly unpleasant and the rapid conclusion was they need a powerful Power and pre-Amp set-up to do them justice.

2. B/W 803D speakers (£6.5k).

The Supernait Amp was more an equal match for these, but the bass still ran off a bit and boomed sometimes. They were rather demanding on the listening; I can appreciate dynamism in sound that commands you to listen, but think I'd get tired with it after a while. Furthermore, I don't think the Pearl units would synergise so easily with them, as they have a rich, warmth to their performance.

3. Linn Akurate 242 speakers (£6k).

Right from the start these speakers really captured my ears, with an engaging smoothness and sympathetic resonance. The bass performed at a proportionate level to the mid-range, was tight and purposeful. There were strong corresondences with the Spendor STs, but the Linns just pipped them on performance across the board.

I think they would compliment the Marantz KI Pearls well, however the ARTs are an altogether different proposition in a positive sense (but they are £4k more expensive).

I was fortunate to catch a brief listen to the pair of B/W Nautilus speakers Grahams have on loan from B/W at the moment - words are simply not adequate, but at £55k, one would kind of expect that, heh heh heh. My mind immediately started conjuring up the idea of a home cinema system with five Nautilus speakers LOL.

I'm presently demoing a pair of ART Deco 8 Signature speakers at home, courtesy of Jordan Acoustics in Scotland. They are lovely and now I only need to figure out which path to head down.

SonicD

A

Anonymous

Your budget is so high that you shouldn't even consider the A6 imho.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
When I went down to HiFi Towers in October for the Cable Big Question, the system we were listening to had the spendor A6's, I am a Die Hard B&W Fan and am Currently running 805s but I was really impressed with the spendors I would recommend anyone have a listen.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Slickensmooth for this thread.....it's exactly what I was hoping for! The answers posted here have helped make it easier for me to decide as well.

No doubt I will audition the A6s and A5s this week but some swear by transmission line speakers like the PMCs. Slickensmooth, did you audition the PMC GB1i and the FB1i at your dealer? Or anyone for that matter? Some audiophiles insists that transmission line technology is the only way to go and is far superior to reflex port types.

A

Anonymous

jtein:
Thanks Slickensmooth for this thread.....it's exactly what I was hoping for! The answers posted here have helped make it easier for me to decide as well.

No doubt I will audition the A6s and A5s this week but some swear by transmission line speakers like the PMCs. Slickensmooth, did you audition the PMC GB1i and the FB1i at your dealer? Or anyone for that matter? Some audiophiles insists that transmission line technology is the only way to go and is far superior to reflex port types.

Your welcome.

To tell you the truth, I didn't audition the PMC's. They're very hard to come by over here. But I heard a lot of good things about them. As for which is better, it's totally up to you and your ears. Sound is the most personal thing in the world. I never heard Spendors before and it wasn't love at first audition either, well at least not in the first 30 minutes. But the sound kind of grew on me. Then I auditioned them again and I was sold. I've always been a fan of warm, organic, laidback sounding stuff.. I guess because that describes my personality as well (or at least a big part of it). That's why I went for the Sugden + Spendor combo.

I will audition the A6'sTuesday I think and then I'll decide if it's worth the extra cash. Some say the A6 is defintely better others say the A5 is more detailed and better sounding, ofcourse that's all very personal. So I'll go check on it myself. If I don't find it worth the upgrade I'll save the cash and get met a Cyrus CD player, either the 6 SE or the 8 SE to liven things up a little.

A

Anonymous

Sooo.. auditioned the A6's today and they're very very nice. Bass goes a little bit deeper and everything has a bit much air. But the A5's have something that the A6's don't have (what my ears really like).. maybe it's detail but not sure if that's what it is. Anyways decided that I if want to upgrade to some new speakers the improvements need to be al little more drastic like maybe the Martin Logan Electrostatic speakers or some Wilson Benesch.

For now I'm happy with my A5's and will look into a Cyrus 6/8 SE CD player.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The A5's aren't as good as the A6's at the frequency extremes, so has a slightly different balance, putting a little more emphasis on the midrange. If you 'prefer' these to the A6's, then you are probably right to look at panel speakers, as very few, if any, box speakers will sound the same.

A

Anonymous

If you can spend this much why not try the Quad 2905, or Kharma speakers, an order of magnitude better than what you have listed here.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:
The A5's aren't as good as the A6's at the frequency extremes, so has a slightly different balance, putting a little more emphasis on the midrange. If you 'prefer' these to the A6's, then you are probably right to look at panel speakers, as very few, if any, box speakers will sound the same.

It's not exactly that I prefer the A5's over the A6's. I do think the A6's are better. But for the money I'm very happy with the A5's. I'm better off buying a good CD player and some other Hifi acces. right now. After this I might sell the A5's and get me some A6's but for now I'm happy with the A5's.

A

Anonymous

Interesting comments on the A6's Slickensmooth.

Anyway, I auditioned the Cyrus CD8SE + 8XPd amp today. What a shame that the show/demo room is a rented enclosed space in a Harvey Norman department store! And I forgot to bring my interconnects and speaker cables with me (I had to drive 200km for this). The dealer just connected the two with the standard interconnects and cheap cables. Plus the speakers (Tannoy) were not spiked into the carpet. So I didn't get to hear the full potential of the cdp + amp.

Went to another dealer to audition the ATC SCM40 but it was sold out and the next batch won't be in until mid-December. What an unfruitful day
emotion-6.gif

Well, tomorrow I'll visiting yet another dealer to compare the Primare CD31 + I30 amp and the Naim Nait XS cdp + amp pairing. Hope I find something I like.

A

Anonymous

SlickenSmooth:
Sooo.. auditioned the A6's today and they're very very nice. Bass goes a little bit deeper and everything has a bit much air. But the A5's have something that the A6's don't have (what my ears really like).. maybe it's detail but not sure if that's what it is. Anyways decided that I if want to upgrade to some new speakers the improvements need to be al little more drastic like maybe the Martin Logan Electrostatic speakers or some Wilson Benesch.

For now I'm happy with my A5's and will look into a Cyrus 6/8 SE CD player.

Thanks for the input everyone!

If you go back and look at reviews for Spendor S5 and S6 (predecessors to A5 and A6), most mags (including WHF) liked S5s better. Point here being bigger and more expensive doesn't necessarily mean better.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts