speakers that do it all... impossible?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I’m thinking of upgrading my speakers and I’d like some advice. I’m currently using 16-year-old JPW AP3s (two-way, bookshelf speakers) alongside an Aura Evolution integrated amp, a Rega Apollo CD player, and a Rega Planar 3 turntable. Mostly I listen to punk/alternative, some of which is poorly recorded. And for the most part the AP3s sound great for this type of music. I’ve listened to some of my stuff on much more expensive Monitor Audios and the music becomes thin and trebly. However, I think I might be able to get an even “bigger” sound than I do with the AP3s with floorstanding speakers. I’d also love to have speakers that handle classical music really well (the AP3s aren’t great with classical on the whole). Is this asking the impossible? The prime consideration is speakers that give an exciting, upfront, musical sound with lots of depth, weight, and punch. For the right speakers I’m prepared to spend a reasonable amount. Of course I’ll audition a wide range of speakers and will be led by my ears, but I was just wondering if anyone had any hot tips for me to hunt down? Thanks!

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
that's a nice system you have there,i used to have the aura amp myself and it's no slouch with at least 70 watts on tap.as for the deck the p3 again is no slouch so maybe a change of cartridge is the way to go. now for the speakers,please if you can keep them maybe a change of cable will do. most speakers struggle with classical music and your right about ma's being foreward sounding, to much so for some but for others they are wonderful.at first listen they are nice but after a while they become to my ears quite strident.the ortofon 2m range work well in rega arms as do the goldring 1000 series.i dont know about the 2000 series but reviews are favourable.so all in all i would just tweek the system for now and see how you get on.

A

Anonymous

Nice system, for speakers try the new Revolver musicseries 3, it's a superb speakers, it has good bass weight due to a larger than average main driver, it's punchy sounding, it produces and amazing soundstage for it's size, it is very open and detailed, but not bright or metallic and the owners of Revolver used to be JPW so they know how to make good speakers, try them out, they are very impressive for £660 odd.

A

Anonymous

speakers that handle classical music really well?

I would audition some Maggies (Magnepans) .

I have some MG12's...best investment I ever made!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="seanpeterocon"]The prime consideration is speakers that give an exciting, upfront, musical sound with lots of depth, weight, and punch. For the right speakers I'm prepared to spend a reasonable amount. Of course I'll audition a wide range of speakers and will be led by my ears, but I was just wondering if anyone had any hot tips for me to hunt down? Thanks![/quote]

How much can you spend??

Start with Epos 12.2's, the old model, which you get for about £350 as its phased out. 'Serious' speakers start here. Whilst not a bass monster what is there is clean, tight and the mids/highs are great and much better than anything MA can offer in its BR/RS range. Moving up, Rega's R3 or 5 depending on room size, about £450/650 with a little discount, a much better bet than superminis such as PMC/ATC at the price. (I just heard the £500 ATC with a supernait a couple of hours ago ... thaiman my buddy ...) and it is a lovely speaker if you have'nt got space but it does'nt sound like a big speaker and is very insensitive. However thats partly due to it being of IB/closed design which makes it easier to place. (Regas are front ported with sidewards facing bass units so that should'nt be a problem either). After that you have a lot of choice. A speaker I particularely liked on a couple of occasions, through different systems, is Roksan's FR-5 but there are many good designs out there.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="mmg_fan"]

I have some MG12's...best investment I ever made!
[/quote]

Hey mate, I always dreamt of a Maggie. I was also getting a good deal on MG12s. What is rest of your system and how much did the maggie cost you? Does it go low?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="ranjeetrain"]

[/quote]

and Thiel. (my new toy)

A

Anonymous

Thanks very much to all who replied. Lots of great suggestion and lots of interesting speakers for me to hunt down and listen to. Cheers!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts