Speakers that can do music well as well as movies

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all i'm trying to start of a list of possible auditions for... see title.
My budget is - at the moment under £750 ish.
My amp - at present is a Yamaha DSP-AX757SE
Can anyone suggest some possibilities.
Condition from the wife is:-
Not too big, and by this, she means that B&W's 685 speaker package is TOO big, i know this is over budget, just wanted to give you an idea what is too big, i was thinking Q Acoustics 1010i or KEF 2005.3.
As i've said they need to music WITH my current amp as well as HT
Any idea's?

John Duncan

I'd say the Q Acoustics are the best option if they really need to be dinky. Bearing in mind they'd take up the same space (presuming you're putting the fronts on stands), there's some kerfuffle about adding the 1030is as fronts in another thread......

A

Anonymous

They do need to be quite small, and I know that with the stands they'll take up the same space as the 1030i's, it's just that if the actual speaker looks big, ie floorstanders, Mrs Rock gets grumpy...
Trying to get a happy compromise - good hifi AND movie sound - with my amp, and the same wife, but small enough to keep my Mrs happy, AND within budget. Am i going to get this or do i NEED to increase budget, change amp or Mrs to get what i want?

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Dali Lektors are a thought. The Lektor 1's are pretty small and really are rather special at the price. Be quick though as there will be a small increase in the price from Feb.

Nick

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Rock Man:They do need to be quite small, and I know that with the stands they'll take up the same space as the 1030i's, it's just that if the actual speaker looks big, ie floorstanders, Mrs Rock gets grumpy... Trying to get a happy compromise - good hifi AND movie sound - with my amp, and the same wife, but small enough to keep my Mrs happy, AND within budget. Am i going to get this or do i NEED to increase budget, change amp or Mrs to get what i want?

Cambridge Audio Azur 640A v2
Cambridge Audio Azur 640C v2
B & W 685

According to the Superfi site your Yamaha has front pre-outs and if it does and your sig says you already have B&W 685 speakers why don't you just get the B&W HTM62 centre and some MT30 or similar rears. Would save you having 4 speakers at the front

A

Anonymous

Afraid the 685's have to go, as they are 'too big', so looking for an alternaive, which, have to do movies as well as music.
Any sugggestions, or are 1010i's my best bet.?

A

Anonymous

Probably whatever version of the Kef "eggs" fit into your budget would be your best bet
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Have you thought about basing a system around Tannoy F1s? These were the budget award winners for stereo speakers this year.

You could have the FRs as rears. These are a bit smaller and can be wall mounted.

The matching centre, FC, is quite compact as well.

If you shop around on the net you can get them all for around £218.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
I'd go for MT-30s without the sub. Should come to about £1100 retail, and with some Tottenham Court Road haggling, you can get that down to about £800. Slightly over, but they're very other-half-friendly and will sound pretty good. Buy a sub later in the year when no-one's looking.

A

Anonymous

Big Aura:Have you considered trading in the wife? Although if you do, I would strongly advise against using the the phrase "too big" anywhere in your justification...
emotion-5.gif

LOL!!!!!

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Rock Man:They do need to be quite small, and I know that with the stands they'll take up the same space as the 1030i's, it's just that if the actual speaker looks big, ie floorstanders, Mrs Rock gets grumpy... Trying to get a happy compromise - good hifi AND movie sound - with my amp, and the same wife, but small enough to keep my Mrs happy, AND within budget. Am i going to get this or do i NEED to increase budget, change amp or Mrs to get what i want?

The wife has got to go.
Someone wrote in WHF 25 years ago "that you wont be sitting on your settee in 3 months time listening to your hifi (or surround in your case) and wishing you'd bought the cheaper model. If you downgrade you'll regret it

A

Anonymous

Lost Angeles:

The wife has got to go.

That's it, one wife, free to a speakerless home, otherwise she wouldn't go.!!!!!!!

Joking aside really don't know what to try - MT-30's without a sub, honest? Surely thet would sound a little empty?
Tried KEF egg's about 4 or 5 years ago - not good.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

I seem to fins I end up chipping in with this a lot, but I was looking for something similar and found the (full not Lite) Tannoy Arena fitted the bill at about £1000 with stands, (used to be about £1600).

In my opinion it was much better than the KEF 3005SEs, especially for music, and had a better high end than the MT-30s, and bettered both for detail.

My partner was similarly worried about having big speakers, but she likes the Arena.

hope this helps

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Rock Man:Lost Angeles:

The wife has got to go. That's it, one wife, free to a speakerless home, otherwise she wouldn't go.!!!!!!! Joking aside really don't know what to try - MT-30's without a sub, honest? Surely thet would sound a little empty? Tried KEF egg's about 4 or 5 years ago - not good.

She wont come here as i've got 684s

A

Anonymous

Does anyone know if these are available in a 6.1 package, or if you can buy the speakers a singles rarther than in pairs?
It's just that my room layout - i think - would benefit from a 6.1 set-up.
Wish i knew how to show it as it's quite difficult to explain, but i don't think 5.1 would sound right from all seating postions, but i think 6.1 would, i need help in positioning speakers, looked at dolby and other sites, but my room layout, coverned by windows, radiators, doors, open plan staircase, fire place ect confuses me as to where to place my speakers.
Imagine you are looking down on my room.

Room is 6.5m long on one side, starting from left to right, we have tv in corner - no where else for it to go, 2m along that wall we have fireplace, then 2 seater sofa angled at 45 degress.
90 degress from sofa is 5m wall.
Adjacent corner of sofa we have door then 3m of wall.
90 degress of that we have openplan stairs again on a 6.5m wall this also has 3 seater sofa - my position is prob 3.5 - 4m from wall that has door on it.
90 degress from that we have wall that leads back to tv but between corner and other corner where tv is we have bay window with a rad under it.
I was thinking of front left/right speakers either side of tv - the wife will hate it, but tough, they have got to go there, centre under tv, now here comes the bit i just can't work out - should i put 1 rear behind 2 seater and one behind where i sit - as above, but the 6.1 with the 6th in the opposite corner to the 2 seater, but on the same side as the door.
Hope someone can make sense of that ramble.
As usual - any help greatly app.

A

Anonymous

Minigill:Take a photo perhaps !

Would do, but digi cam not working, knackered battery i think/hope and phone cam not good enough....

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Don't rule out the Arcam Muso / Logo. My auditioning identified these as far better than the MT30, Kef eggs, etc. Also got 5 stars from the mag and performance with music was highlighted as plus point. Negative? They looked like small hifi, rather than style, speakers.

I'd recommend a listen and judge for yourself.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Oh. And the only negative I've found is that the wall mounts supplied by Arcam are rebadged cheapies available from ebay.

A

Anonymous

PJPro:Don't rule out the Arcam Muso / Logo. My auditioning identified these as far better than the MT30, Kef eggs, etc. Also got 5 stars from the mag and performance with music was highlighted as plus point. Negative? They looked like small hifi, rather than style, speakers.

I'd recommend a listen and judge for yourself.

Cheers PJPro

Look & write up very nice mate, out of budget at the moment pal, but will def but on audition list for when i upgrade, which should be in about 18 months time - unless i completely happy with what-ever package i (finally) decide on this time around.

Still need help with speaker positioning please don't direct me to Dolby's site, been there, my room, i guess, like quite a few's is not ideal for surround sound, i'm not after perfection, but enjoyable from most 'seats' in the house, so my friends and family, not just the one in 'hot spot' can enjoy it.

A

Anonymous

if you shop around, you should get 5 B&W MT1's (the surrond speaker from mt30) for £625. Add a sub (maybe second hand), and you could have a great system for £800. Anyone know what a wharfedale sub would sound like with these surrounds?

ÿ

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Rock Man:

Still need help with speaker positioning please don't direct me to Dolby's site, been there, my room, i guess, like quite a few's is not ideal for surround sound, i'm not after perfection, but enjoyable from most 'seats' in the house, so my friends and family, not just the one in 'hot spot' can enjoy it.

Anyone like to take a look of my 'best i can do without pictures' description of my room, and see if they can help me?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts