Question Speakers for Rega elicit-r

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Belerofon

Aug 9, 2020
Visit site
At the risk of confusing matters i would think out the box and look at a sub/sat pairing. At a around the £5k mark M&K Sound's pair of S150's and an X10 is worth bearing in mind. If possible give them a try as you might be pleasantly surprised. Fwiw, I've found this pairing to be so good that I'll be changing over to an X10 and S150's or maybe S300's :)
Well, that's interesting idea, thank you

Reactions: MUSICRAFT
D

Deleted member 116933

Thanks for reply and suggestions. Now i more confused :))
First i'm not bass guy, i liked perfect heights and mids, smooth and relaxed maybe analytic presentation. I have mentioned high budget because it's possible find gems there. I want best speakers for rega can handle. In case B&W 805d3 i know about their power hunger, some guys on avs forum suggest they are actually easiest drive then 702s2. And yes you're right, musical difference is huge between them. Firstly i wanted 702s2, they sound great to me, but friend of friend of mine, says 702s2 drops to 3,6ohm load [actual measurement] and he is not sure if rega can handle it.
I'm trying narrow the selection, because it seems i'm gonna visit more then 2 or 3 dealers for right speaker.
Kef and B&W was my favorites then i started doing research and i was deep in you know where . Harbets was in consideration too revel f206 also. Now i'm consider audio physics [they have best heights drivers on market] audiophile friend says. So hunt begins

To be honest, it really sounds like you're already starting to narrow your list without you even realizing it. The only thing confusing to me was that you were confused about your budget. I think your next step is to really go and audition and it will help put some of the what if's to bed.

Belerofon

Aug 9, 2020
Visit site
To be honest, it really sounds like you're already starting to narrow your list without you even realizing it. The only thing confusing to me was that you were confused about your budget. I think your next step is to really go and audition and it will help put some of the what if's to bed.
Honestly,you're right. now is my list shorter and budget goes down. I found dealer for PMC twenty finally, so next week will be demo. I've heard demos on youtube and they sound awesome [even over youtube]. I give try ATC Scm19, Rega RX5[i've heard them with another amp and they not impressed me, maybe with rega amp would be better], Revel 208, Kef R5 or 7, Audio Physic 35, B&W 702.s2 and for fun B&W 805D3.

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
Try the kef r series with pmcs. Similar character to pmc in some respects. They’ve just brought the pmc I series out and Ive been checking it out. Will prob go for myself. The old pmcs were a bit bland - twenty 23. The twenty5 series is good, but no longer sold as new. You might find some about.

I agree with the comments about atc. Flat response and can be dull sounding if room not great. The Rega speakers are poor too. Not strongest.

Belerofon

Aug 9, 2020
Visit site
Try the kef r series with pmcs. Similar character to pmc in some respects. They’ve just brought the pmc I series out and Ive been checking it out. Will prob go for myself. The old pmcs were a bit bland - twenty 23. The twenty5 series is good, but no longer sold as new. You might find some about.

I agree with the comments about atc. Flat response and can be dull sounding if room not great. The Rega speakers are poor too. Not strongest.
Thanks for insight, yesterday I've heard elicit-r and ATC 40, the sound was incredible. I'm still don't believe it, atc offers really precise sound, with not suitable amp they sound dull and flat. Like I said still don't believe how great they sounded. PMC are next on my demo list.

Reactions: MUSICRAFT
Thanks for insight, yesterday I've heard elicit-r and ATC 40, the sound was incredible. I'm still don't believe it, atc offers really precise sound, with not suitable amp they sound dull and flat. Like I said still don't believe how great they sounded. PMC are next on my demo list.
I understand what you're saying but wouldn't consider driving a pretty inefficient pair of £3800 speakers with a £1600 amp myself, just sayin.
However, if they do it for you, that's fine.

Reactions: Belerofon
PMC are next on my demo list.
You said to me you don't have PMC dealers in your country.

Regards the ATCs I can see them working as a "instant impact" speaker with the Rega, but if you play music for long periods you may want to look at a speaker a little more restrained. Obviously PMC spring to mind as does Dynaudio. You might lose a little transparency but there'll be gains in other areas.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Honestly,you're right. now is my list shorter and budget goes down. I found dealer for PMC twenty finally, so next week will be demo. I've heard demos on youtube and they sound awesome [even over youtube]. I give try ATC Scm19, Rega RX5[i've heard them with another amp and they not impressed me, maybe with rega amp would be better], Revel 208, Kef R5 or 7, Audio Physic 35, B&W 702.s2 and for fun B&W 805D3.
Lots of different speakers here and at different prices too. Beware of the 'instant impact' effect, as PP has mentioned below, your room, music tastes, and listening habits all need to be taken into consideration.
Regards the ATCs I can see them working as a "instant impact" speaker with the Rega, but if you play music for long periods you may want to look at a speaker a little more restrained. Obviously PMC spring to mind as does Dynaudio. You might lose a little transparency but there'll be gains in other areas.
A less restrained. less transparent speaker (some would describe as dull by comparison) does has its advantages. If your objective is to be impressed by everything you play - then there is no let up, you will constantly be striving for that and judging every piece of music by how impressive it sounds. Just saying that there can be a balance and the best way to judge this is an extended demo at home over a few days.

Belerofon

Aug 9, 2020
Visit site
I understand what you're saying but wouldn't consider driving a pretty inefficient pair of £3800 speakers with a £1600 amp myself, just sayin.
However, if they do it for you, that's fine.
Well, think is, ATC itself recommends their own Amp which is 100w on 8 ohm with same Price, same specs as Rega. So why not. Unless I go with listening volume above "party for neighbours 3houses near me" I'll be fine. I'm hear you what you saying and I keep it in mind. It's not my final verdict.

Belerofon

Aug 9, 2020
Visit site
You said to me you don't have PMC dealers in your country.

Yeah I said that, I was on visit with my dealer about Rega Saturn-r issue and he have PMC speakers in shop, so demo should be possible. You're Right, Long listening session may be problem with rega, amp running very hot. I had one hour session so I need at least 3 hours, I'm curious about what dealer say about that 😁😁😆

Belerofon

Aug 9, 2020
Visit site
Lots of different speakers here and at different prices too. Beware of the 'instant impact' effect, as PP has mentioned below, your room, music tastes, and listening habits all need to be taken into consideration.

A less restrained. less transparent speaker (some would describe as dull by comparison) does has its advantages. If your objective is to be impressed by everything you play - then there is no let up, you will constantly be striving for that and judging every piece of music by how impressive it sounds. Just saying that there can be a balance and the best way to judge this is an extended demo at home over a few days.
Home demo would be perfect, but unfortunately tricky, as far I know, no dealer in my country borrow me speakers for couple days, only thing possible is buy them, tested and returning them with 14 days return policy.

Well, that's interesting idea, thank you

You’re welcome (y)

S150’s are very sensitive and go down to 80Hz. Over the last few weeks I’ve used S150’s with an Anthem MRX720 without any issues so therefore the Elicit-R should take the S150’s in its stride, Set the LPF on the X10 at 80Hz and you’re good to go :cool:

We had S300’s delivered last week so i’m going to decide between using S150’s or S300’s :)

Just glad I don't live next to him ... :)
Subs with SCM40, whatever next......

I’d recommend using a sub/s regardless of main loudspeakers used and with all things being equal only having the subs reproducing at least the bottom two octaves of 20Hz - 40Hz and 40Hz - 80Hz . The optimal position for mid and HF might not be the optimal for LF reproduction. Subs can be moved away from the mains and positioned accordingly within the room to give the best LF response. Using the TDAI-1120’s LF/HP filter, room correction will help reduce the workload on the amp, seamlessly blend the V8’s with the SCM40’s leading to a significant uplift in overall performance of the system (y)

A subwoofer is the most important main component :)

Reactions: Belerofon

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts