Question Speakers for Rega elicit-r

Belerofon

Aug 9, 2020
Visit site
Hi guys, can you give some guide or recommendation of speakers for Rega elicit-r? I have done some research and more deep i go then more I'm confused or confused. My other parts of system is: Rega Saturn r CD player, rega planar8 turntable, Rega Aria phono. Room size is 25 m2, I think floor standing speakers is accurate but it could be even bookshelf speakers. Budget up to 5000. My suggestion so far is:
B&W 805d3
Atc scm 19
Sonus faber sonatta 3 or 5
Q acoustic concept 500
B&w 702s2 signature
Kef r7
Spendor 7.2
Thanks for advice or suggestions.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.
I would say matching speakers to an amplifier is overrated you have to ensure the speakers will work well in your room and not necessarily with any particular amp.
25 square meters is also pretty meaningless, what's the length and breadth?
To be honest I would want to drive a pair of ATC 19 with that amp.
Also add Monitor Audio Gold 500 to your list if you can as you don't say what sort of currency your 5000 is.

Belerofon

Aug 9, 2020
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.
I would say matching speakers to an amplifier is overrated you have to ensure the speakers will work well in your room and not necessarily with any particular amp.
Also add Monitor Audio Gold 500 to your list if you can as you don't say what sort of currency your 5000 is.
ATC are power hungry, but whathifi says no problem. My room is 4x6, budget is 5000 pounds. Same thinking here, no need expensive amp for driving some speakers etc. I'm putting monitor audio on my list.Thanks for suggestion.

Belerofon

Aug 9, 2020
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.
Did you mean monitor audio silver 500?

Did you mean monitor audio silver 500?
No, typo, I meant Gold 300
There are many floorstanders you could audition but always budget for some very good speaker stands if going for standmounts
Personally I would say that you should be able to find speakers in the 2-3000 price range commensurate with your £1800 amp but, that saying, get out and audition as many as you can.
I would also add Acoustic Energy AE 509.

Belerofon

Aug 9, 2020
Visit site
No, typo, I meant Gold 300
There are many floorstanders you could audition but always budget for some very good speaker stands if going for standmounts
Personally I would say that you should be able to find speakers in the 2-3000 price range commensurate with your £1800 amp but, that saying, get out and audition as many as you can.
I would also add Acoustic Energy AE 509.
That's the thing, in research I pick many speakers, too much I say 😆 I'm starting overthinking this

Hi guys, can you give some guide or recommendation of speakers for Rega elicit-r? I have done some research and more deep i go then more I'm confused or confused. My other parts of system is: Rega Saturn r CD player, rega planar8 turntable, Rega Aria phono. Room size is 25 m2, I think floor standing speakers is accurate but it could be even bookshelf speakers. Budget up to 5000. My suggestion so far is:
B&W 805d3
Atc scm 19
Q acoustic concept 500
B&w 702s2 signature
Kef r7
Spendor 7.2
Years ago I heard the Elicit-R with PMC Twenty 23. Sounded pretty good to me.

Have you thought about Rega's own speakers? Seems logical given you have an all Rega system.

D

Deleted member 116933

B&W 805d3
Atc scm 19
Q acoustic concept 500
B&w 702s2 signature
Kef r7
Spendor 7.2

Welcome, that's a fine list!

The problem for me is the budget is all over the place, B&W 702s2 v the 805d3 they're worlds apart, and require very different levels of power. Despite what the spec suggests 805's are very power-hungry and really need something, shall we say, a little special to get the best out of them. The other problem is they're all very different speakers in terms of sound. Do you want bold and exciting, smooth and laid back, or is all about the bass!

And I don't care what, What hi-fi says your amp has not got the grunt for the ATC's 19's, you want 200 watts a channel min to really enjoy these speakers. I had them on home demo with some very nice amplification and none of really had the volume to drive them. And don't be fooled even though they're a sealed design they need plenty of room round them not to mention some quite substantial stands, think Partington broadsides they are VERY heavy speakers. With the wrong amp they do sound "lifeless and boring" as some one mentioned.

Id say just because you have 5k to spend doesn't mean you have to, The rest of your system is all price appropriate, you're about/thinking about spending almost 3 times the amount of your amp on your speakers. The 5k speakers in that list are going to up show up everything downstream warts and all.

Spending as much as you can on your speakers is flawed advice, especially if you have no desire to change anything downstream.

If it were me I'd actually be looking to spend no more than 1600 quid + or - a ton or 2 you'll have a much happier life!

Places to start

Kef r series
q acoustics concept 40's
Revel m16 f35 if you want something really special the m106 (about as good as get at this level)
Butchart audio s400
Neat alpha series
If you want something loud and exciting Klipsch heresy 4's ( really won't matter about power here, 2 watts will rock your world 100 watts well you get the idea but they sound lovely to boot)

Its great having a long list but the dealer is never doing to have all the brands

But! this is all just advice and we can't tell you what to buy just have fun AND stick to a budget.

Reactions: rainsoothe
D

Deleted member 116933

Nice to see some American speakers recommended.
Many are surprisingly good but only a few regularly stocked in UK dealers.

Is got better over recent years, there's still a lot that doesn't make it over here or limited ranges of.

As ive said a few times Revel really is the pinnacle of design when it comes to standmounts at 2k, really takes a lot to beat them. You get alot for your money and a woofer seldom seen at this price level, the only other speaker I've seen it in at the 1500-2k range is the s400 burchart .

Hi-fi corner have the entire Klipsch heritage range, and there sister company home sound have the Revels and i also think audio affair stock both brands

D

Deleted member 116933

Some of clients are enjoying their Elicit-R/curved SCM19's and I've recently enjoyed hearing curved SCM19's powered the 42w/ch of PrimaLuna's Evo 300 integrated amplifier :)

If that's the case then they're generally not my bag at all, Each to there own its not about me, all i can do is give my experience/feedback on things I've heard.

Ill always bow out to dealers as they've/you've heard things with a far greater range of goods

If that's the case then they're generally not my bag at all, Each to there own its not about me, all i can do is give my experience/feedback on things I've heard.

Ill always bow out to dealers as they've/you've heard things with a far greater range of goods
This is precisely why a good long audition is heartily recommended.
Dealers too have different ears to you.

Belerofon

Aug 9, 2020
Visit site
Welcome, that's a fine list!

The problem for me is the budget is all over the place, B&W 702s2 v the 805d3 they're worlds apart, and require very different levels of power. Despite what the spec suggests 805's are very power-hungry and really need something, shall we say, a little special to get the best out of them. The other problem is they're all very different speakers in terms of sound. Do you want bold and exciting, smooth and laid back, or is all about the bass!

And I don't care what, What hi-fi says your amp has not got the grunt for the ATC's 19's, you want 200 watts a channel min to really enjoy these speakers. I had them on home demo with some very nice amplification and none of really had the volume to drive them. And don't be fooled even though they're a sealed design they need plenty of room round them not to mention some quite substantial stands, think Partington broadsides they are VERY heavy speakers. With the wrong amp they do sound "lifeless and boring" as some one mentioned.

Id say just because you have 5k to spend doesn't mean you have to, The rest of your system is all price appropriate, you're about/thinking about spending almost 3 times the amount of your amp on your speakers. The 5k speakers in that list are going to up show up everything downstream warts and all.

Spending as much as you can on your speakers is flawed advice, especially if you have no desire to change anything downstream.

If it were me I'd actually be looking to spend no more than 1600 quid + or - a ton or 2 you'll have a much happier life!

Places to start

Kef r series
q acoustics concept 40's
Revel m16 f35 if you want something really special the m106 (about as good as get at this level)
Butchart audio s400
Neat alpha series
If you want something loud and exciting Klipsch heresy 4's ( really won't matter about power here, 2 watts will rock your world 100 watts well you get the idea but they sound lovely to boot)

Its great having a long list but the dealer is never doing to have all the brands

But! this is all just advice and we can't tell you what to buy just have fun AND stick to a budget.
Thanks for reply and suggestions. Now i more confused :))
First i'm not bass guy, i liked perfect heights and mids, smooth and relaxed maybe analytic presentation. I have mentioned high budget because it's possible find gems there. I want best speakers for rega can handle. In case B&W 805d3 i know about their power hunger, some guys on avs forum suggest they are actually easiest drive then 702s2. And yes you're right, musical difference is huge between them. Firstly i wanted 702s2, they sound great to me, but friend of friend of mine, says 702s2 drops to 3,6ohm load [actual measurement] and he is not sure if rega can handle it.
I'm trying narrow the selection, because it seems i'm gonna visit more then 2 or 3 dealers for right speaker.
Kef and B&W was my favorites then i started doing research and i was deep in you know where . Harbets was in consideration too revel f206 also. Now i'm consider audio physics [they have best heights drivers on market] audiophile friend says. So hunt begins

rainsoothe

Thanks for reply and suggestions. Now i more confused :))
First i'm not bass guy, i liked perfect heights and mids, smooth and relaxed maybe analytic presentation. I have mentioned high budget because it's possible find gems there. I want best speakers for rega can handle. In case B&W 805d3 i know about their power hunger, some guys on avs forum suggest they are actually easiest drive then 702s2. And yes you're right, musical difference is huge between them. Firstly i wanted 702s2, they sound great to me, but friend of friend of mine, says 702s2 drops to 3,6ohm load [actual measurement] and he is not sure if rega can handle it.
I'm trying narrow the selection, because it seems i'm gonna visit more then 2 or 3 dealers for right speaker.
Kef and B&W was my favorites then i started doing research and i was deep in you know where . Harbets was in consideration too revel f206 also. Now i'm consider audio physics [they have best heights drivers on market] audiophile friend says. So hunt begins
That's the way to go about it. For what it's worth, I suggested those Harbeth models and the Ophidians because they'll put some meat on the Rega bones - smooth highs and magical midrange is what Harbeth are known for. I do, however, also agree with millennia_one's position that the Elicit MIGHT be out of it's depth - only way to know for certain is, of course, demo. And another thing, the Revel Performa 3 M106 and their corresponding floorstanders are indeed that good. They are very well balanced (do NOT read boring, though, because they're anything but).

Now i more confused :))
First i'm not bass guy, i liked perfect heights and mids, smooth and relaxed maybe analytic presentation.

At the risk of confusing matters i would think out the box and look at a sub/sat pairing. At a around the £5k mark M&K Sound's pair of S150's and an X10 is worth bearing in mind. If possible give them a try as you might be pleasantly surprised. Fwiw, I've found this pairing to be so good that I'll be changing over to an X10 and S150's or maybe S300's :)

Reactions: Belerofon

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts