Speakers for Naim NAC-N 272

iburnell

Mar 28, 2008
Visit site
I'm ready to audition a Naim NAC-N 272 with NAP 250DR amp. Like advice on speakers to listen to

My thoughts are

Spendor A6R (WHF product of year)

PMC 20/23 or 24 (seem to be favoured by the Naim community)

Focal Aria 926 /948 (apparently again a Naim favourites)

Thoughts?

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I'd go with all the usual UK suspects: Proac D20R/D30R, Neat Momentum 5X5i, Harbeth SHL5+ etc etc.

I'm a fan of Danish speakers: worth checking out models from Dali, Dynaudio and Audiovector.

I hope you don't mind me asking about the allocation of your budget (assuming you haven't bought the Naim kit yet). How/why did you decide to allocate nearly £7K to amplification and less than half that amount to speakers? I'm not suggesting this is wrong (though I'd have divided the budget differently myself): just interested to know.

iburnell

Mar 28, 2008
Visit site
Not deliberate Matt. My room is about 20'x13'. I was interested in Spendor D7 but I've heard they might not be appropriate for size of room. The Naim forum people seem to recommend PMC and Focal as partners to Naim - I haven't heard anything yet

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
If you have the budget, you should try the Sonus faber Olympica II floorstanders. They'd work in a room like yours, and they are really lovely.

Another off-the-wall suggestion: Vivid Audio V1.5.

rainsoothe

Hi. On your "must audition" list should be Revel Performa F208. I heard them on Nac N-172 + Nap155XS and they were marvelous. They sound more meaty then the Aria 926, and have a nice enveloping and cinematic sound. ATC SCM40 should also be on that list (or SCM19, which are pretty large standmounts).

rainsoothe said:
Hi. On your "must audition" list should be Revel Performa F208. I heard them on Nac N-172 + Nap155XS and they were marvelous. They sound more meaty then the Aria 926, and have a nice enveloping and cinematic sound. ATC SCM40 should also be on that list (or SCM19, which are pretty large standmounts).

You might be right about the Revels but as is usual, being American and if the OP is in the UK, then he's going to have a heck of a job auditioning them, and at £4700 he's going to have to audition.

There is only one dealer apparently and that's Karma AV. They might also be a little too big for his room.

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
iburnell said:
I'm ready to audition a Naim NAC-N 272 with NAP 250DR amp. Like advice on speakers to listen to

My thoughts are

Thoughts?

If you are considering PMC 24 sort of price range, audition the ATC SCM 40 version 2 speakers and last but not least the Naim Ovator S-400 speakers. The latter choice appear to be a sort of marmite type speakers (love or hate) for users reviews see Naim Audio Forum, you will get abundant information from past auditions whether it is positive or negative. Of course your own ears will tell you the reality for you.

rainsoothe said:
ATC SCM40 should also be on that list (or SCM19, which are pretty large standmounts).

hi rainsoothe

+1
thumbs_up.gif
also an excellent tonal match with a NAC-N 272/NAP 250 DR
regular_smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Romulus said:
iburnell said:

My thoughts are

Thoughts?

If you are considering PMC 24 sort of price range, audition the ATC SCM 40 version 2 speakers and last but not least the Naim Ovator S-400 speakers. The latter choice appear to be a sort of marmite type speakers (love or hate) for users reviews see Naim Audio Forum, you will get abundant information from past auditions whether it is positive or negative. Of course your own ears will tell you the reality for you.

Whatever the OP looks at I think that system needs a better speaker than something in the £1600 - 2000 range.

rainsoothe

Al ears said:
rainsoothe said:

You might be right about the Revels but as is usual, being American and if the OP is in the UK, then he's going to have a heck of a job auditioning them, and at £4700 he's going to have to audition.

There is only one dealer apparently and that's Karma AV. They might also be a little too big for his room.

Then the Revel standmounts (Performa 3 M106) :) - both cheaper and smaller ^^

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
Whatever the OP looks at I think that system needs a better speaker than something in the £1600 - 2000 range.

That was my thought too: the OP is aiming at an awful lot of amp and not much speaker. TBH I wouldn't go for Naim anyway; if spending £7K on an amp, the Devialet 200 is a better bet.

But assuming the budget is around £10K in total (sh*t, do I like spending other people's money!) I'd go for a DAC/preamp (maybe Benchmark) with a Hypex power amp or maybe a Hegel integrated. Total around £2.5-4K. That would leave around £7K for speakers.

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
matt49 said:
Al ears said:

That was my thought too: the OP is aiming at an awful lot of amp and not much speaker. TBH I wouldn't go for Naim anyway; if spending £7K on an amp, the Devialet 200 is a better bet.

But assuming the budget is around £10K in total (sh*t, do I like spending other people's money!) I'd go for a DAC/preamp (maybe Benchmark) with a Hypex power amp or maybe a Hegel integrated. Total around £2.5-4K. That would leave around £7K for speakers.

Why would you not go for Naim? Have you heard Naim systems? The Devialet is just another option another taste.. If Hegel suits the taste that would be practical since it includes DAC, various digital connections and three analogue inputs (H360 IA).

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Romulus said:
Why would you not go for Naim? Have you heard Naim systems? The Devialet is just another option another taste.. If Hegel suits the taste that would be practical since it includes DAC, various digital connections and three analogue inputs (H360 IA).

Yes, I have heard a few Naim systems, and none of them worked for me sonically. I also happen to think they're quite poor value for money, especially given the rather outdated engineering inside them.

The Devialet includes a DAC, just like the Hegel. I haven't heard a Hegel, so I won;t comment on it. The Devialet 200 is a superb amp and IMO more transparent than any Naim I've heard.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
matt49 said:
I hope you don't mind me asking about the allocation of your budget (assuming you haven't bought the Naim kit yet). How/why did you decide to allocate nearly £7K to amplification and less than half that amount to speakers? I'm not suggesting this is wrong (though I'd have divided the budget differently myself): just interested to know.
Because a quality speaker sounds better when it is partnered with high quality electronics. Would a £3k pair of speakers sound as good on £3k's worth of amplification?

And don't forget the 272 is a streamer as well, so a chunk of that £7k is effectively a source. And a DAC.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I recently demonstrated the 272/250DR with the KEF Reference One speakers, which the system dealt with with ease, so it's a very capable combination. But that's not to say you have to go that far.

The ATC SCM40, ProAc D20/D30, Spendor A6r and PMC Twenty.23 (you may find the 24 a little large for the room) will all be worth trying, but is there any reason you've ruled out standmount speakers?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Plus one for these. Speakers

If you have your heart set on naim then thats that but i would also demo the other amps as its a load of cash.

I have the hegel 360 and love it(also getting the atcs when i can afford)

Id also demo devialet 200 or higher as rave reviews and could intergrate into your room with the sam(i think) as never heard one.

But id also spend kind of equal between amp and speakers so that over time youll be happier(imo) and then free for the next 10 - 20 years hopefully.

Anyway let us know how you get on and enjoy the hunt

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi iburnell,

For me it's either harbeth, totem or proac.

I have the proacs studio 148 with a superuniti and it's a great match. Full sound with rich tones and wide sound stage.

iburnell

Mar 28, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. much appreciated. Floorstanders rather than stand mount because of cats :)

I already have Naim NAC-N 172XS, NAP 200 and Spendor A5. From talking to dealers I'm told the 272+ NAP250 DR is a substantial step up. Happy with sound but Spendors appear a touch "polite". I am interested to hear the A6R especially given the WHF recommendation - I did audition to the original A6 and strangely preferred the A5. Interested to hear David and Rick's replies from a dealers persepctive. Yes, ATC and ProAc sounds like good idea

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Because a quality speaker sounds better when it is partnered with high quality electronics. Would a £3k pair of speakers sound as good on £3k's worth of amplification?

That's not what's at issue here: you're muddying the waters. The question is how to divide up a £10K budget, not whether a £6K system sounds as good as a £10K system.

But in answer to your question, I think in all but the most extreme cases (playing music very loud; speakers with vanishingly low impedance) a £3K amp (such as the Hegel H360, or some Hypex monoblocs with something like a Benchmark DAC/pre) would be capable of getting the very best out of a set of top quality speakers.

I spent a long time trying out amps, going up to about £8K, and found the best results (for my £10K electrostatics) were with a power amp that sells for just over £3K.

David@FrankHarvey said:
And don't forget the 272 is a streamer as well, so a chunk of that £7k is effectively a source. And a DAC.

Yes, perfectly aware of that, which is why I suggested the Devialet 200: a similar, cheaper and better package.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
matt49 said:
That's not what's at issue here: you're muddying the waters. The question is how to divide up a £10K budget, not whether a £6K system sounds as good as a £10K system.

But in answer to your question, I think in all but the most extreme cases (playing music very loud; speakers with vanishingly low impedance) a £3K amp (such as the Hegel H360, or some Hypex monoblocs with something like a Benchmark DAC/pre) would be capable of getting the very best out of a set of top quality speakers.

I spent a long time trying out amps, going up to about £8K, and found the best results (for my £10K electrostatics) were with a power amp that sells for just over £3K.
I don't know what level of quality electronics your speakers will entertain (sounds a bit limiting to me), and I suppose there will be a limit where returns diminish - this may vary from speaker to speaker depending on how well they've been designed, as a good design will grow with a system. I've heard £1000 speakers sing on the end of £9ks worth of high quality pre/power. There's always something better.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts