Speakers for desktop

hughlook

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I am thinking of replacing a pair of B&W 601 series 1 speakers--probably around 15 years old. I am looking for something that will work well in a small space--sitting on my desk with not much more than a couple of inches of spare space behind them. Challenging, definitely, but there is simply no room to do anything else.

They will be driven by an Arcam Solo, and I listen mainly to classical CDs and Radio 3 on DAB, and some LPs on a very old Thorens 165 (bought with my almost-first pay packet in the early 1970s.) The Solo is also hooked up to a PC via a Meridian Explorer as there are some things I only have as downloads.

The 601s sound muddy and boxy now, and I think it may be because they just don't suit the confined space and placing. I'd like something more open, clearer and more refined. I'd go for "refined" over "exciting" and I dislike harsh treble quite a lot! Downstairs I have a pair of Monitor Audio BX5s and they sound about right to me, but it's a much bigger room.

Budget £400-£500; I've thought about Monitor Audio BX1s or 2s, the small Quad 11s, and one or two others (including the Monitor Audio Silver 1s, which I liked but was told don't like being near walls.) I've listend to a few pairs, but it's hard to hear them in circumstances that reflect the size of the room and placing so the advice of the knowledable and experienced would be appreciated.

I could always consider active speakers, I guess--there is a pre-out on the Solo, but it seems a bit of a waste of a decent amplifier.

Advice welcome!

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Neat Iotas were designed to work well in tight spaces and were £600 new when they came out, very small, availble in a variety of colurs and a ribbon tweeter.

Otherwise how about something like a pair of small Adam actives?

hughlook

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Thanks--I hadn't come across the Neats and although they are a bit more than I wanted to spend they do seem like the kind of thing I'm looking for. I'll try to track down somewhere I can hear them.

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I have not listened to them, but Prodipe studio monitors were recommended to me for a similar setup as you have. They are relatively inexpensive, and they have a two-drive configuration similar to that of Tannoy and Kef speakers. They are active, and I believe the Arcam Solo has a preamp output.

Anyways, when you look for near-field studio monitors, there are many to choose from.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
hughlook said:
Hello,

I am thinking of replacing a pair of B&W 601 series 1 speakers--probably around 15 years old. I am looking for something that will work well in a small space--sitting on my desk with not much more than a couple of inches of spare space behind them. Challenging, definitely, but there is simply no room to do anything else.

They will be driven by an Arcam Solo, and I listen mainly to classical CDs and Radio 3 on DAB, and some LPs on a very old Thorens 165 (bought with my almost-first pay packet in the early 1970s.) The Solo is also hooked up to a PC via a Meridian Explorer as there are some things I only have as downloads.

The 601s sound muddy and boxy now, and I think it may be because they just don't suit the confined space and placing. I'd like something more open, clearer and more refined. I'd go for "refined" over "exciting" and I dislike harsh treble quite a lot! Downstairs I have a pair of Monitor Audio BX5s and they sound about right to me, but it's a much bigger room.

Budget £400-£500; I've thought about Monitor Audio BX1s or 2s, the small Quad 11s, and one or two others (including the Monitor Audio Silver 1s, which I liked but was told don't like being near walls.) I've listend to a few pairs, but it's hard to hear them in circumstances that reflect the size of the room and placing so the advice of the knowledable and experienced would be appreciated.

I could always consider active speakers, I guess--there is a pre-out on the Solo, but it seems a bit of a waste of a decent amplifier.

Advice welcome!

Why not save urself some money and go to www.andreweverard.com and read his review on the Roth Oli RA1s.

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I think that the Neat Iotas would fit the bill nicely, but if they are over budget or you can't find any ex-dem/2nd hand, have you considered the Arcam Muso speakers?

I have heard them in a 5.1 set up and the sound was suprising given their diminutive size. Superfi have them for less that £300 a pair at the moment.

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
Consider Monitor audio ws100 and b&w mm1.

I have the Bowers & Wilkins MM-1 as computer speakers. I think they are very good for what they are: they are small, active, and have a DAC—I had audio issues with my computer and wanted to have an external USB sound device, and the display speakers are terrible, so these speakers alone solved all requirements without cluttering my desktop. In addition, they allow the audio to be set from the operating system, which is very convenient.

I am not sure thay would fit the requirements given here. To start with, they are just that—premium computer speakers. In addition, they can only be connected with USB and have a jack input, so I guess they would depend on the Arcam Solo having a fixed-line output.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts