Speakers for Creek Evo A50

Longjohn

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Dear all,

I'm very interested in the new Creek Evolution A50, because (a) it has good reviews, and (b) I can buy it in a HiFi shop not a million kilometres from here. I was originally going to buy a Marantz PM-KI Pearl Lite to replace my trusty Arcam Solo Mini, but now this Creek amp seems to press all the right buttons.

However, can anyone give me some advice on what loudspeakers would be most appropriate for this amplifier? I can get Epos speakers at the same shop (not in the UK), but they don't often get 5-star reviews. Please excuse me for being bitten by the deadly review fever bug. I'm mainly interested in low-level listening, so I guess I need quite a sensitive speaker.

Look forward to hearing from any of you.

Kind regards, LJ

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Reviews should only be used to narrow down a short list, and are no guarantee of satisfaction.

Epos are certainly worth a try, as well as Kef R Series / LS50 and Sonus Faber Venere, amoungst many others.

My advice is not to get "tunnel vision" and try as much as possible, within budget.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
If you are going to buy a Creek amp look at Epos speakers!

They are, IN MY OPINION, the best match with Creek!

If you want a standmount look at Epic 3, if you want a floortanding look at Epic 5 ( best buy under £1000 Hi-Fi Choice) I don't have a pair in my house because they need some space around them! Read the review!

And if you have the extra cash look at Elan range.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/hi-fi-and-av-speakers/epos-epic-5-955503/review

best REGArds

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Don't be put off by a less than 5 star review for Epos. Mine saw off quite a few "5 star" speakers when I went through the demo process.

Well worth a listen at the very least, otherwise you'll never know!

Also, see if you can get a listen to the Focal Chorus 7 or, better still the 8 series of speakers. I've heard the Evo 2 driving a pair of 806v standmounts and they worked very well together.

csq2

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
The Creek has lean bass and slightly forward sounding. My suggestion is the Sonus Faber 1.5 or Mission MX5 speakers, which is a good pair with Creek.

Longjohn

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Dear all,

Thanks for the quick replies - much appreciated. I have quite a small room (approx. 6m x 4m) with Monitor Audio RS1s at the moment. I know I could take something bigger, and would pay up to £1K for it.

BTW, what would be a suitable DAC and CD player to go with the Evo A50? Will be nterested to hear your opinions...

Best regards again, John

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Longjohn said:
Dear all,

Thanks for the quick replies - much appreciated. I have quite a small room (approx. 6m x 4m) with Monitor Audio RS1s at the moment. I know I could take something bigger, and would pay up to £1K for it.

BTW, what would be a suitable DAC and CD player to go with the Evo A50? Will be nterested to hear your opinions...

Best regards again, John

Good budget!

Then look at Elan 10, never heard them... But demo the Epic 3 and 5!

I'll bet the Elan range should sound sweet...

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Epos and Creek are the same company, so that is a good place to start. The 50A amp is great. I heard it with the Epos Epic 5 which are easy to drive but they are quite large and bass was a bit boomy, I would try the Epic 3s. KEF R100s would be worth a look.

Don't worry about reviews too much, its what you like that matters.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Longjohn said:
Dear all,

Best regards again, John

Well the new, Creek 50D (CDP/DAC/Pre) would be the obvious match for the 50A, but considering it was due out in summer 2012 I wouldn't hold my breath.

Personally , I have found my Arcam CDP matches well enough, and I use a cheap FiiO DAC (..but incredible value for money BTW) for PC audio duties only. I used to have a Beresford Caiman and couldn't hear any difference between that and the FiiO.

If you are prepared to go 2nd hand then there are more and more CDP bargains to be had from what I've seen lately. A sign of the times perhaps?

Longjohn

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Dear all,

Thanks for your very excellent comments. I must admit I was not going to consider Epos speakers, but I might be persuaded to think differently after the reviews I've read.

The guy who sells the Creek Evo in this country also sells Epos and Anthony Gallo speakers. Any comments on the latter?

As regards the comments on the DAC, I thought that Creek were eventually going to produce a DAC card for the Evo 50A. If this is true, I might wait for this, but will still need a CD player.

Thanks once again!

John

WX

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Well, finally it's on its way!! :cheer: InputAudio @ HIGHEND 2013 Munich folgende Neuheiten ausstellen (Am 9. Mai nur für Händler) :

– Weltpremiere: Der Creek Evolution 50D, ein CD-Laufwerk mit D/A Wandler und digitalen Eingängen, Tuner- und Vorverstärkerfunktionen, wird den neuen Creek Evolution 50A Vollverstärker ergänzen. Der Evolution 50A Verstärker war das erste Produkt aus der 50‘er Serie von Michael Creek und ist bereits international für seine Klangqualitäten prämiert worden.

So, if you like this new Creek then have a look & listen. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts