Smallish floor standing speakers for Primare pre/power anyone?

Machinemessiah

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

A couple of months ago I was going to take the plunge and by a Creek 100a. At the last minute I changed my mind and have bought a Primare Pre32 and A34.2 pre/power combination. This was on dem in a shop when I went in for the Creek making some very good sounds with some B&W CM floor standers (can't remember exact model about £1.5k I believe). Anyway, top and bottom was I was impressed enough to seriously up my budget and buy the amps. I could just buy the B&Ws I heard them with but the amp definitely justifies more expensive speakers. Budget around £2-3k, would like floor standers this time but they need to be on the smaller side. Initial thoughts are PMC 23s but I'm told they can be 'peaky' in the treble so may not be suitable for me. I'm looking for a more neutral richish overall balance.

Any ideas please, would like to draw up a shortlist of a maximum of four.

Thanks.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The A34.2 is certainly a capable amplifier, and will easily do justice to the sort of speakers you'll be considering. The Primares are very clean sounding in the treble, so if you do experience any "peakiness", it certainly won't be down to the amplification.

Along with the B&W CM8 S2 and PMC Twenty.23, you could also try the Monitor Audio Gold 200, Spendor A6r, ProAc D20r, KEF R500 or R700, and the upcoming Rega RX5. I'm sure you'll be able to narrow that list down going by size or aesthetics. Many other recommendations will more than liely be a little on the large side for what you're after.

David@FrankHarvey said:
The A34.2 is certainly a capable amplifier, and will easily do justice to the sort of speakers you'll be considering. The Primares are very clean sounding in the treble, so if you do experience any "peakiness", it certainly won't be down to the amplification.

Along with the B&W CM8 S2 and PMC Twenty.23, you could also try the Monitor Audio Gold 200, Spendor A6r, ProAc D20r, KEF R500 or R700, and the upcoming Rega RX5. I'm sure you'll be able to narrow that list down going by size or aesthetics. Many other recommendations will more than liely be a little on the large side for what you're after.

Excellent kit that Primare. Used to run a pre-power setup of theirs myself (Pre30 / A32)

David has already mentioned the Spendor A6R's which I therefore second and I'd like to add Usher speakers to his list. I have heard very nice sounds coming from a Primare / Usher 604 set-up. Also the Neat SX1 might be worth an audition.

Machinemessiah said:
I'm looking for a more neutral richish overall balance

Hi Machinemessiah

You should also look at Raidho Acoustics/Scansonic MB-2.5's
regular_smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Great choice of amp.

I suppose the speakers you end up with will depend on your room size, what sort of music you listen to and how you like it presented.

Brands to look at would be:

Sonus Faber/Spendor/Vienna Acoustics...for a smoother sound.

ATC/PMC/Gamut/Focal/Kudos....if you like a more neutral sound

Kef R Series/Dali/Proac.....for somewhere in between.

If you describe your music choice and the brands you have access to, I will come up with some models....but my initial choice would be Kef R500/R700.

MUSICRAFT said:
Machinemessiah said:

Hi Machinemessiah

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

[/quote

Have you heard them Rick? Good advice going by the reviews I've read, also they do look compact and very nice indeed (not heard them myself - very limited dealerships).

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
We've got Primare A34.2 and Primare PRE32 on demo currently and we've listened to them with KEF R700 (good combo), Focal 1028 (which are a little more expensive but we only suggest as theyre currently on offer so a little more on par with price), but our favourite combo is with the ProAc D20R - not a match we were expecting, but a fantastic sounding combo. As with all speakers though, you have to have a listen for yourself as its always subjective.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Give them a demo with your amp. Possibly at your home but id give the kef r700s a try. Great speakers. Everyday i listen the more i like them and thats not with as good amplification as you have

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
I think that most of the speakers suggested would do a good job, but each would give a different presentation. As usual, however, the way they interact with your room will be the key factor and a home demo would be more or less essential to discover the best solution.

Al ears said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Machinemessiah said:

Hi Machinemessiah

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

[/quote

Have you heard them Rick? Good advice going by the reviews I've read, also they do look compact and very nice indeed (not heard them myself - very limited dealerships).

Hi Al ears

Yes, i've heard MB-2.5's. We've had these, MB-1's and MB-3.5's since we also started to support Raidho Acoustics last September
regular_smile.gif
(we've sold a pair of MB-2.5's and a pair of MB-1's in gorgeous Black-Silk finish
shades_smile.gif
within the last week too) Anyway, with the MB Series it's great to see the know how of Michael Borresen/Raidho Acoustics also being applied now to (dare i say it) relatively more affordable products
thumbs_up.gif

All the best

Rick @ Muiscraft

Machinemessiah

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the recommendations. I would have liked to listen to some Vienna Acoustics floor standers (I believe Primare use these to dem their equipment at shows) but apparently there is currently no UK distributor.

Anyone any ideas on that one?

Ive heard of Usher Audio and they seem to get favourable reviews. I live in the North West but I am not aware of any northern dealers. Music wise I'm on a heavy diet of 70s prog rock, Yes, Genesis, PInk Floyd, Led Zeppelin etc... Great detail retrieval from the Primares, just need to maintain a neutral balance with some richness and warmth with the speakers.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Machinemessiah said:
Thanks for all the recommendations. I would have liked to listen to some Vienna Acoustics floor standers (I believe Primare use these to dem their equipment at shows) but apparently there is currently no UK distributor.

Anyone any ideas on that one?

Ive heard of Usher Audio and they seem to get favourable reviews. I live in the North West but I am not aware of any northern dealers. Music wise I'm on a heavy diet of 70s prog rock, Yes, Genesis, PInk Floyd, Led Zeppelin etc... Great detail retrieval from the Primares, just need to maintain a neutral balance with some richness and warmth with the speakers.

My list of 4 suggested speakers:

Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand.....They are sold here: http://www.fanthorpes.co.uk/p0/vienna-acoustics/408572.htm

Spendor A6R

GamuT Phi 5 (Review: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/hi-fi-and-av-speakers/gamut-phi5-257880/review and http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/gamut/gamut.html)

Sold here: http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/gamut-phi5-speakers-pair and http://www.jordanacoustics.co.uk/product_details.php?ref=275

Kef R500/R700

Nb. The GamuT is clean, precise, non-edgy, small (about H 1m x W 17cm x D 27cm) and exciting.....maybe an outsider to consider.

Machinemessiah

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the links. Fanthorpes sold all their Vienna Acoustics stock a while ago and haven't removed them from their website yet. No UK distributor at the moment so that looks like a dead end for now at least. I will investigate some of the other recommendations and report back on this thread in due course.

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
To throw a bit of a curve ball, if you can hear Martin Logan Electromotion and like what they do, going back to conventional speakers may be very difficult. Though compact they do need a bit of air to breathe though, and ideally something behind them to damp things down, which may be an issue.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts