Speakers for classical music

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm looking for some new speakers (£250-£400 ) for mainly classical music listening. I auditioned the 5-star rated MA BR2s and B&W 685s at either end of my budget, both of which felt like reasonable all-rounders, but not outstanding for my tastes (though I do realize that I'm at the bottom end of hi fi so there are bound to be compromises). Can anyone suggest other speakers I should listen to?

Thanks.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
You dont say what you did'nt like about them but personally I'd either source a pair of Usher 520 or Rega R3's ex dem. The latter has an exciting sound with very good timing and punch, the former is more laid back and relaxing. Both are very nicely made but the Rega's are imo more capable. Dont forget you need stands with bookshelfs.

A

Anonymous

Thanks drummerman. I didn't much rate the MA BR2s - sorry What Hi Fi - because, although they delivered the music fairly faithfully, there was nothing exciting about the sound. The B&Ws were in another league, but I just wondered whether there ight be a better option for classical music. What I have really enjoyed in the few v. good speakers I've heard is that sense of the orchestra or whatever actually spread out before you (I'm sure there's a proper name for the effect), and a clarity of distinction between the different instruments/voices.

John Duncan

I'd call that imaging, inter alia, and the Neutron is the best I've heard in this respect for 400 quid. Worth an audition. But if you could get hold of DN's Regas for the same price, must be worth a shout.......

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
bouverie:

I'm looking for some new speakers (£250-£400 ) for mainly classical music listening. I auditioned the 5-star rated MA BR2s and B&W 685s at either end of my budget, both of which felt like reasonable all-rounders, but not outstanding for my tastes (though I do realize that I'm at the bottom end of hi fi so there are bound to be compromises). Can anyone suggest other speakers I should listen to?

What's the rest of the system?

A

Anonymous

Hi Andrew

The system is an ancient Technics CD and AMP, working as well as the day it was bought 18 yrs ago, but could be improved upon.... I plan steadily to upgrade over the next year, starting with speakers because they are the weakest link at present.

I've recently listened to some Focal Chorus 705Vs, which were rather good, if a little bright. Do you know them? Any other thoughts much appreciated. Basically, I'm after something that can reproduce what I heard live at last night's Prom: Rattle conducting the Berlin Philarmonic playing Shostakovich's 10th symp. Possibly I'm being a little unrealistic...

A

Anonymous

I had the opportunity to put together a new system last summer, for classical music. ÿI was originally quite keen on B&W but, after some auditions, felt that several of the ATC models I listened to were far better suited to what I listen to. ÿPerhaps less bouncy than some, but really precise and detailed.

So, it may be a long shot (and I'm sure that others may disagree), but if you could find a pair of ex-demo or second hand ATC SCM-7s, they might be well worth a listen. ÿOne word of caution: I believe they are not terribly sensitive and probably benefit from a fairly meaty amp; I don't know whether your current amp would be ideal. ÿAs always, the thing to do is listen; if they're not what you are after, you haven't lost anything.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
bouverie:Basically, I'm after something that can reproduce what I heard live at last night's Prom: Rattle conducting the Berlin Philarmonic playing Shostakovich's 10th symp. Possibly I'm being a little unrealistic...

You need Rattle and the BP again for that! No hifi speaker/amp could reproduce it. You may get close, but for the cost of that sort of system you could hire a hall and an orchestra for private concerts.

If you really want to get that close I would recommend a good FM tuner with roof aerial/Radio 3/headphone amp/headphones. It will be more cost effective.

I recommend the Rega R3's also. I got mine ex dem for £400 instead of £500 and I have seen good used ones go for as little as £209 on ebay.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts