Speakers for bright room

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
That all sounds good....As it stands, can you live with the sound that you are currently getting from the Croft?

If you need to tone it down further, you are looking at Harbeth or Spendor Classic.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Spendor will be great for a bright room. But when you change the acoustics then you might suffer the lack of treble presence. So careful. I have myself a very bright room and all my system is bright, but this is my preference - sometimes I wish I could do sth. about it but speakers that roll off could sound a bit dull in the long run. Try Sonus Faber Venere 2.5 out as well...

jas0_0

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Just as an update, I’ve been trialling a Croft 7R Power amp for a week or so now. It was new demo model, so may still be burning in, but the sound is beautiful. Still getting some fatigue, but I now convinced that’s just down to my room and planning to get curtains, a bigger rug and some panels to deal with it. Girlfriend gave the ok to the latter which was a bit of a surprise!

I also just took delivery of Sparkos op amps for the Nord. Installed them last night and, though I winced when I first turned the amp back on, thankfully didn’t blow them up.

First impressions will have to wait as it was late and I didn’t have time for a proper listen at decent volume.

A question for Pedro (and any other Sparkos users) did they require burn in time to come on song?

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
jas0_0 said:
Just as an update, I’ve been trialling a Croft 7R Power amp for a week or so now. It was new demo model, so may still be burning in, but the sound is beautiful. Still getting some fatigue, but I now convinced that’s just down to my room and planning to get curtains, a bigger rug and some panels to deal with it. Girlfriend gave the ok to the latter which was a bit of a surprise!

I also just took delivery of Sparkos op amps for the Nord. Installed them last night and, though I winced when I first turned the amp back on, thankfully didn’t blow them up.

First impressions will have to wait as it was late and I didn’t have time for a proper listen at decent volume.

A question for Pedro (and any other Sparkos users) did they require burn in time to come on song?

Hi Jas0_0,

I've got to be honest and say that I can't remember whether there was 'burn in' or not. I know there are many who argue that burn in with electronic components doesn't exist but many will also say otherwise. I do remember hearing differences between the Sparkos and the SI op amps however. The former had a slightly warmer presentation but lost a small degree of detail. I preferred the less clinical presentation and didn't mind the fractional loss of detail. It's not night and day, however. Changing the op amps is not like changing the whole power amp but it will have a slightly different flavour. Whether you still find it too bright, only time will tell.

One more thought; I know that you returned the AE1a as you felt they lost the top end airy quality of your Proacs but I wouldn't dismiss other actives as a result. If you're still searching for your audio nirvana and the Nord/Proac combo still isn't working, Paulq has reported very positive results with Adam actives. Their ribbon tweeters are reportedly the best in the business. Have fun and hope the Sparkos delivers the goods.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
If the ProAcs continue to sound a little bright, you are looking at Harbeth. If they are a little bright, you a looking at Spensor Classic. If Spendor are too bright, I'll sort you my Celestion SL6s, which simply cannot sound bright, no matter what. :)

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
jas0_0 said:
So I took the Spendors and AE1 Actives back to Audio Gold - the Spendors reluctantly... they are beautiful things but they didn't solve my problem.  Once it's sorted with the Proacs I'll see what pennies I have left and hope no one has bought them.  However I didn't return home empty handed - a loaner Quad 606 has been wired up in place of the Nord most of the afternoon. 

First switch on was a bit of a disappointment.  Still the same sharp trumpets and painful pianos.  Slightly dispairing I cast around and my eye fell on the big, bare, white concrete wall about 8 inches behind my head.  I pulled up the two big, flat sofa cushions either side of me and propped them to my rear, against the wall.  Back on went Miles Davis... and... bliss.  I owe an apology to EllisDJ (and probably a few others) who suggested I should look further into room treatment from the outset - you were dead right.

Since then I have been switching back and forward between the Quad and the Nord.  The Nord wins on separation, timing and bass control, but the Quad takes it for organic musical involvement, emotion and fun, and for me that's a much bigger win.  It will be interesting to hear the Sparkos and Croft power in comparison when they arrive, but for the time being the Quad is staying connected.

Now to find some domestically-acceptable room treatment - any suggestions?
I recommend Studio Spares .... Worth buying a couple of accoustic panels to experiment with before moving into full room treatment.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Pedro2 said:
I've got to be honest and say that I can't remember whether there was 'burn in' or not. I know there are many who argue that burn in with electronic components doesn't exist but many will also say otherwise.

Those who know 'burn in' doesn't effect the performance of domestic audio electronics design electronic equipment for a living. Those who believe 'burn in' exists get their information from HiFi magazines.

I believe I am handsome and witty, with just as much basis as the nonsense that gets talked about burn in.

rainsoothe

andyjm said:
Pedro2 said:
I've got to be honest and say that I can't remember whether there was 'burn in' or not. I know there are many who argue that burn in with electronic components doesn't exist but many will also say otherwise.

Some of those who think they know 'burn in' doesn't effect the performance of domestic audio electronics design electronic equipment for a living. Those who believe 'burn in' exists get their information from HiFi magazines and by not being deaf.

I believe I am handsome and witty, with just as much basis as the nonsense that gets talked about burn in.

There, fixed it for ya. Last part was accurate ^^

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Definately not bright , and warm and smooth (but with plenty of detail)

In fact I added supertweeters to make them brighter!

Would have to buy on line though - if you can find any.........

(A few reviews out there if you google)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts