Question Need Bright Speakers.

Papa Baker

Aug 6, 2021
Visit site
Hi Guys. Newbie here.
Ive been into Hifi for many years, I’ve made as many successful as unsuccessful purchases in my time. So to try and avoid another, should we say “disappointment” I’m asking for advice.
Im setting up my retirement project.
I’m starting with a Cambridge EVO 150. Most of my music is now streamed, Tidal, Spotify. I do have some vintage Vinyl but it’s not my go to yet, maybe later. (Hence the 150 as apposed to the 75)
Now here is my predicament. I’m close to hard of hearing and my hi frequency hearing level is totally shot.
( too many rock concerts in the 70s)
I’m looking for some floor standing speakers that are classed as “Bright” or maybe “Lively”
Currently I have a pair of Ruark Talisman IIs, They have been good soldiers but it’s time to move on.
budget £2000 ish. Room lightly furnished, 30sq Mts. Musical taste. 70s rock, Modern soft rock. Seriously appreciate some positive guidance.

Although I have not heard many some of the French brands have been described as bright, the likes of Triangle etc.
the type of tweeter will also influence this and some with ribbon tweeters can appear bright in the right setting when angled in towards your listening position.
Cannot recommend any particular models as it's not something I personally would be looking for in presentation.
what can you get to audition wherever you live?
You might seem another thread on here where someone considers his KEF Q5 tweeters to be too bright.

Reactions: Papa Baker
Welcome to the forum! If you have a browse through the myriad threads saying ‘my speakers are too bright’ you might be able to gather up a shortlist. But, deadly seriously, nobody here can choose for you, especially as your hearing is deteriorating - I sympathise.

Also, consider that you may choose hearing aids at some point, and these will correct you HF loss and you’re then stick with a too bright sound. And when you hear live events, which Hifi attempts to reproduce, there’s no treble boost fir your benefit. In some ways, choosing a compensating sound is a dead end, so be cautious.

When you check out your Cambridge Evo, book and demo of suitable speakers at Richer Sounds. I’d probably not bother with the popular Q Acoustics range which tends to be warmer, nor most Wharfedale. But otherwise, as Al says, French speakers are often amongst the brighter models, like Focal and Triangle. Audio Physic, not at RS, also seem to display that trait. Maybe some B&W are worth trying too.

insider9

Hi and welcome! First of all try pointing speakers directly at you whatever they may be. Both in regards to toe-in and tilt if that's necessary. Have you already got the Cambridge or have you earmarked it for purchase?

We all hear differently and describe what we hear differently too. Bright can mean many different things so really difficult to say what it means for you. Irrespective of that is the music you like listening to bright as a rule? Also what volume are you listening at usually?

I'm going to (as always) suggest something different. I'd focus on speakers that are mid forward as opposed to bright. This should give you a lot of intelligibility and more perceived volume. Also I'd consider use of DSP and tone controls and not really sweat what speakers you're going to use.

abacus

Consider getting equipment with tone controls or adding a graphic equaliser as you can then boost the treble to suit your hearing. (Some equipment also has on board software based graphic equalisers)

As mentioned above correction with properly calibrated hearing aids is probably the best as you will then be able to hear better wherever you go.

Bill

Consider getting equipment with tone controls or adding a graphic equaliser as you can then boost the treble to suit your hearing. (Some equipment also has on board software based graphic equalisers)

As mentioned above correction with properly calibrated hearing aids is probably the best as you will then be able to hear better wherever you go.

Bill
That's what made me wonder why he has plumped for the Evo 150

gasolin

insider9

I would not make an assumption on house sound based on one of the cheapest speakers Dali makes (made). That were probably built with intention to be used as surround speakers in AV setup. Also the only Dali speaker I've ever heard that I didn't like at all. I'd also think that OP doesn't want a downgrade to his current speakers.

I would not make an assumption on house sound based on one of the cheapest speakers Dali makes (made). That were probably built with intention to be used as surround speakers in AV setup. Also the only Dali speaker I've ever heard that I didn't like at all. I'd also think that OP doesn't want a downgrade to his current speakers.
with that sort of budget I think you might be right.....
and as he has floorstanders I assume he is looking for the same....

Welcome to the forum! If you have a browse through the myriad threads saying ‘my speakers are too bright’ you might be able to gather up a shortlist. But, deadly seriously, nobody here can choose for you, especially as your hearing is deteriorating - I sympathise.

Also, consider that you may choose hearing aids at some point, and these will correct you HF loss and you’re then stick with a too bright sound. And when you hear live events, which Hifi attempts to reproduce, there’s no treble boost fir your benefit. In some ways, choosing a compensating sound is a dead end, so be cautious.

When you check out your Cambridge Evo, book and demo of suitable speakers at Richer Sounds. I’d probably not bother with the popular Q Acoustics range which tends to be warmer, nor most Wharfedale. But otherwise, as Al says, French speakers are often amongst the brighter models, like Focal and Triangle. Audio Physic, not at RS, also seem to display that trait. Maybe some B&W are worth trying too.
Shurely Audio Physic are German? (Ed.). :)
but in some ways I concur. Slight hearing loss in my right ear has meant I have recently had to replace my amplifier and my DMP for alternatives that have a balance control, and it's a sod because I really rated Tom Evans kit, a necessity that comes with advanced years I suppose.
The OP might benefit from rethinking the amplifier he intends to get or has got and buy something with tone controls

Last edited:

Papa Baker

Aug 6, 2021
Visit site
Hi. Thanks so far for some very constructive comments.
I need to add a few points.
I have professionally fitted hearing aids. I absolutely hate wearing them unless I have to. Anyone who wears them will know what I mean. I wear them when I have to.
Im after a few pointers to go and audition and then hopefully narrow it down to a couple of home demos if possible. I know only too well how it a very personal thing and difficult to choose for someone else.
As for the EVO 150. Yes you are all correct in saying I should look at something with tone controls. I had it demoed with some Fyne 502s and have only paid a deposit. Not too late to change.
Once again thanks 🙏 appreciate your help. What a great forum 👍

Hi. Thanks so far for some very constructive comments.
I need to add a few points.
I have professionally fitted hearing aids. I absolutely hate wearing them unless I have to. Anyone who wears them will know what I mean. I wear them when I have to.
Im after a few pointers to go and audition and then hopefully narrow it down to a couple of home demos if possible. I know only too well how it a very personal thing and difficult to choose for someone else.
As for the EVO 150. Yes you are all correct in saying I should look at something with tone controls. I had it demoed with some Fyne 502s and have only paid a deposit. Not too late to change.
Once again thanks 🙏 appreciate your help. What a great forum 👍
We try to oblige but have no idea where in the world you are so can be tricky. I would definitely suggest you rethink that amp, unless it does have time controls. However that's my personal suggestion having had to sell mine for similar reasons.

Shay.M

Apr 22, 2021
Visit site

Since I have a hearing problem myself I discovered laletly that the hearing aid is connected directly to any Bluetooth you have! The quality is great. Much better than any speakers I found. I have Phonak (Vitro M90-312) but I guess it is not the only one you can choose.

Tinman1952

+1 for tone controls. Trying to find a speaker with just the right treble response for your hearing ‘correction’ would be almost impossible. Tone controls would be much more variable so you find that ‘goldilocks’ setting….just right! 🙂

Reactions: nopiano

Papa Baker

Aug 6, 2021
Visit site
We try to oblige but have no idea where in the world you are so can be tricky. I would definitely suggest you rethink that amp, unless it does have time controls. However that's my personal suggestion having had to sell mine for similar reasons.
I’m actually in Singapore. I’m going to re think the amp. Thanks.

Din5

Jun 27, 2021
Visit site
Try Dali Opticon 6, these have the additional ribbon ? tweeter, I auditioned them about 1.5 yrs ago and felt they were too bright, fed by Rega Brio, good speakers though, sounded very like the Oberon 5 but brighter at the top end.
I also auditioned Monitor Audio Silver 200's, good speakers but a bit bright in my opinion, fed by a Cambridge amp at R/sounds.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts