Speakers - does tech spec really mean much?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I have a UnitiQute. When choosing what to buy I originally assumed I'd be upgrading my speakers too. I didn't, so I'm currently running the Qute with a pair of Acoustic Research M1 - circa 1991.

Now, this setup sounds good to me - apparently Mark Levinson appeared to like these speakers a lot back then - but, I have nagging questins on whether the qute could sound better. I'd like more 'richness' - but I don't know if this is possible with the restrictions that I have: The speakers need to be as small as possible and they are on bookshelfs - this is the only option.

So, I have some questions that I don't know the answers to:

1) Do such 20 year old speakers compare favourably with their modern equivs? Put simply, does new kit achieve better when paired with modern speakers?

2) I look at the 'tech spec' for speakers - but what should I be looking for? Some, such as the rega rs1, don't actually show their 'frequency response' - which I always thought might show their bass level they can reach. Does this stuff actually matter?

3) I listen to the Qute at low volumes - I rarely go above 50% volume ( I am a considerate neighbour ) - so should I be looking at a high 'sensitivity' rating to allow me to hear detail at these low volume levels?

I have a few speakers on my list, the usual suspects: Proac tablette, Rega RS1 , Dali Menuet, etc etc. But, other than price and size, I'm not entirely sure why they are on my list!

BUT,

I'd be embarassed to go to a dealer, listen to all these speakers and then say 'no thanks'. I'm sure I'd end up buying a pair as if to apologise for taking up his time!

As you can guess, I didn't audition the Qute - I just fell in love with it and I've always wanted to own a Naim system.

Any help and advice here would be very appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
downandout said:
So, I have some questions that I don't know the answers to:

1) Do such 20 year old speakers compare favourably with their modern equivs? Put simply, does new kit achieve better when paired with modern speakers?

A well designed speaker will always sound good. One or two areas may 'flag' a little i compariosn to more modern designs, but for the money they're available for, they can be serious value for money.

2) I look at the 'tech spec' for speakers - but what should I be looking for? Some, such as the rega rs1, don't actually show their 'frequency response' - which I always thought might show their bass level they can reach. Does this stuff actually matter?
The only telling specs will be impedance and sensitivity. Frequency response or range won't tell you anything about how hard or easy a speaker is to drive, or what it'll sound like. Depending how it's measured, one speaker might reach 32Hz, another one 48Hz. The latter may sound more bass heavy. And if that measurement is measured at -6dB, it's pretty useless as far as normal listening goes.

3) I listen to the Qute at low volumes - I rarely go above 50% volume ( I am a considerate neighbour ) - so should I be looking at a high 'sensitivity' rating to allow me to hear detail at these low volume levels?

Not necessarily, but higher sensitivity speakers do usually sound more lively and give the impression of more detail. Detail comes with a well designed speaker using quality drive units.

BUT,

I'd be embarassed to go to a dealer, listen to all these speakers and then say 'no thanks'. I'm sure I'd end up buying a pair as if to apologise for taking up his time!

That's what we're here for. It's not like you're using the dealer's day up and then buying it from somewhere else. If you don't like the speakers on offer, you're not obliged to buy!

A

Anonymous

Just some thoughts:

What is richness? We'd all like the experience at low volumes to be the same as at higher volumes, but that is very difficult.

Your vintage speakers could still be very good, although there has been progress, and materials (coatings to stiffen the conus, the rubber rings) do deteriorate in time. Noticed any degradation by eye or ear? How are they doing if you do put the volume up (warn neighbours first) to test?

I assume the position on bookshelfs is not helping the SQ. I think they even have a back port?
This will also apply to new speakers. Listening in a shop may not help you a lot due to the constraints.

I am afraid you will have to test them side by side in your own room to be sure. If you feel guilty just be frank, or offer the shop a demo fee if you decide to keep the old stuff.. (not for listening only in the shop obviously).

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your advice. I wished I lived near Coventry - i'd pop in and waste your time ( maybe! ) :)

'Richness' - I suppose I mean 'warmth'. My M1's can sound a little 'bright' to me , but ,as you state, this might be unavoidable at lower volumes.

I'll wait until I see the neighbours go out and crank up the volume. The speakers have been looked after - they've been packed away for about 10 years until recently.

A

Anonymous

update:

The longer I listened to my AR M1's the more I became convinced I needed to upgrade them. They didn't get any better....until......

I changed the UnitiQute speaker setting from 'small' to 'large'. What a difference!

The sound is now richer and fuller. The bass has punch and depth that I can feel rather than just hear. It's like I bought new speakers. It really is a phenomenal change, and not just at higher volume.

The user manual for this setting is very ambiguous - well, to me it is - because surely these speakers can not ever be considered anything other than small, certainly not 'large'. However the true factor for this setting appears to be whether you have a sub or not. I don't have a sub.

So, if you have a UnitiQute and no sub, make sure you select the 'large' speaker setting. Then sit back and enjoy.

manicm

I think what David said about impedance and sensitivity is true - but you still must audition. That is most important, at your home, or with your own electronics if possible.

A good example is when I brought home Rega R1s to compare with my 685s. Although the R1s were more sensitive, they didn't seem to go as loud/louder than my B&Ws. Why? I think it came down to simply being a smaller speaker with a smaller driver. They sounded good though but I missed the scale of the bigger speaker.

Auditioning within reasonable paper sensitivity/impedance specs is key.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts