Speakers cut out repeatedly at high volumes.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a CA Azur 340A SE with Q Acoustics 2010. When the volume is high and the bass is turned up they frequently cut in and out. The duration of the pause is less than one second. At the same volume with the bass turned down they don't cut out. I thought it might be the cables being dislodged by the vibrations but both speakers cut out at exactly the same time every time. It also only occurs on bass filled tracks. Is it a problem with the amp?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Sounds like you're driving the amp too hard, tripping its over current protection (or something, I have no idea what I'm talking about!).

It's not good anyway, so stop doing it, you could damage the amp and the speakers.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:

Sounds like you're driving the amp too hard, tripping its over current protection (or something, I have no idea what I'm talking about!).

It's not good anyway, so stop doing it, you could damage the amp and the speakers.

I comletely agree ~ you dont know what your talking about (joke
emotion-4.gif
)

Your amps being overloaded ~ your only option is to get more sensitive speakers with a lower load (higher ohms) or buy an amp capable of driving what you have now

For now your going to have to lower the volume (Or pay the cost when it all goes dead for good)

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
The problem is the use of the tone controls- your amp is struggling to find the extra power to boost the bass, and is cutting out through overload.

Turn the tone knobs to flat (central), and try moving your speakers nearer the rear wall to fatten the bass up a bit. But give yourself time to get used to the un-boosted sound before deciding whether you like it or not! In a well-matched system you should never need to use the tone controls- they are an effective way of completely defying the point of hifi, IMHO.

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
It is not a fault with your amp! Aside from the previous post, about the only use for the bass knob is when you are listening at very low levels, as some speakers may not come to life without a few watts up them. If you plan to crank it regularly, leave the controls alone and perhaps consider upgrading your amplifier...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Dougal1331:In a well-matched system you should never need to use the tone controls- they are an effective way of completely defying the point of hifi, IMHO.

How high is the bass turned up and how low is the treble turned down?

Tone controls are generally there to 'adjust' the sound for your speaker/room balance and not to guarantee 'kick-ass' bass - from speakers that cannot provide it - at massive volume levels.

If you want huge bass at loud volumes then you need suitable kit.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Yeah sounds like your amp is starting to clip so its protection circuit is kicking in.

An Arcam amp i used to have did that all to easily.

Best solution is to keep the bass control at normal where it doesnt clip and buy an active sub to supliment the bass output of the system. Or buy a bigger amp or you'll kill the speakers or the amp.

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
MattSPL:
Yeah sounds like your amp is starting to clip so its protection circuit is kicking in.

Looking at your sig, I guess this is a problem you don't suffer from!

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Dougal1331:MattSPL:

Looking at your sig, I guess this is a problem you don't suffer from!

Haven't had any issues yet but the ATC's would like more power when playing loud. A nice big krell power amp in the future i hope.
The Arcam A22 i used to have always struggled but it was driving 4ohm speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts