Speakers and amp for an RP3

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Hello, with the above I am currently running a marantz pm5004 and dali zensor 1's, I listen mostly to prog and classic rock with a bit of 50,s and 60,s pop. The cartridge is a dynavector 10x5, although it sounds nice I want more, more bass more detail it also sounds a bit sluggish, my room is 17 by 10, so quite small, budget is about 1200 pounds, initially thought of arcam 19 and new monitor bronze 5's but am open to suggestion's and may be able to stretch the budget a bit, one note I don't want a brio r, just don't like it, thanks.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
gregory said:
Hello, with the above I am currently running a marantz pm5004 and dali zensor 1's, I listen mostly to prog and classic rock with a bit of 50,s and 60,s pop. The cartridge is a dynavector 10x5, although it sounds nice I want more, more bass more detail it also sounds a bit sluggish, my room is 17 by 10, so quite small, budget is about 1200 pounds, initially thought of arcam 19 and new monitor bronze 5's but am open to suggestion's and may be able to stretch the budget a bit, one note I don't want a brio r, just don't like it, thanks.

Plenty of options but what you suggest sounds good and should achieve what you want.

matthewpiano

Arcam and MA is always a good combination so definitely well worth getting a listen to the combination you mention.

Also well worth checking out Cambridge CX-A60 with Q Acoustics 3050 or Cambridge Audio Aero 6.

rainsoothe

Hi. The CA + Q Acoustics combo might be ok, but it has no phono stage, so you'll need to add a separate one. But you have a definite +1 from me for Arcam A19, which imo sounds amazing with Focal Aria 906. The new Monitor Audios might also be an excellent match. Alternatively (to the A19), if you don't really need a remote, look at Croft Phono Integrated, though that will stretch your budget.

Btw, if you like progressive, Steven Wilson's "The Raven that Refused to Sing" sounds beautiful on the Arcam + Focals :)

Oh, and about cabling, I'm using Audioquest Type 4 speaker cable. Tried the QED 40XT, and it defined the instruments better, the bass had more punch, but it was too forward/energic for my taste (not harsh in the highs though). Using Atacama Nexus 6i speaker stands.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Been looking at the q acoustics as well, been getting good reviews of late as have the kef q500's, not sure about the styling of the new CX range but I will give all equipment an audition, thanks for the replies.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
I'm using QED silver anniversary which I'm not that keen on, had croft valve and leak power amp many years ago, I like valves but can't be bothered with them anymore, and your right, bit over budget, got to save the pennies to buy more music, my son played me the steve Wilson album you mentioned, sounds good, he likes more modern stuff like dream theatre and porcupine tree and opeth but I'm a bit of a stick in the mud and prefer my 70's prog, but I like some of it, especially opeth. Thanks for the advice.

Hi. The CA + Q Acoustics combo might be ok, but it has no phono stage, so you'll need to add a separate one. But you have a definite +1 from me for Arcam A19, which imo sounds amazing with Focal Aria 906. The new Monitor Audios might also be an excellent match. Alternatively (to the A19), if you don't really need a remote, look at Croft Phono Integrated, though that will stretch your budget.

Btw, if you like progressive, Steven Wilson's "The Raven that Refused to Sing" sounds beautiful on the Arcam + Focals :)

Oh, and about cabling, I'm using Audioquest Type 4 speaker cable. Tried the QED 40XT, and it defined the instruments better, the bass had more punch, but it was too forward/energic for my taste (not harsh in the highs though). Using Atacama Nexus 6i speaker stands.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
I'm using QED silver anniversary which I'm not that keen on, had croft valve and leak power amp many years ago, I like valves but can't be bothered with them anymore, and your right, bit over budget, got to save the pennies to buy more music, my son played me the steve Wilson album you mentioned, sounds good, he likes more modern stuff like dream theatre and porcupine tree and opeth but I'm a bit of a stick in the mud and prefer my 70's prog, but I like some of it, especially opeth. Thanks for the advice.

rainsoothe

"the lamb lies down on broadway" and "close to the edge" also sound good on the Arcam+Focals , and you might get a deal from dealer to fit your budget - I did from mine and got them for 1100-ish.

Although, to be frank, genesis sounded perfect on supernait 2, but that's in a bit of a different bracket.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts