speakers and amp advice - £10-20k budget for rock and dance music

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
steve_1979 said:
You can get a nice 2 bedroom detatched house in France for £20,000. I call them 'credit card houses' because you could afford buy one on a credit card.

It puts some of the audiophile hifi prices into perspective. :?

Brilliant....It's amazing what you learn on a hifi forum.

What area/s are these to be found......not buying, just interested in case my house gets eaten by rot again. :wall:

In northern France I've spotted quite a few nice ones that are ready to move into for £20,000-30,000 in Brittany and Normandy. There's some cheap stuff in Limusin in central France too.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
In northern France I've spotted quite a few nice ones that are ready to move into for £20,000-30,000 in Brittany and Normandy. There's some cheap stuff in Limusin in central France too.

Thx.

I'll file it under "options" if I become homeless, or my pension goes (more) t*ts up.

:cheers:

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
steve_1979 said:

Thx.

I'll file it under "options" if I become homeless, or my pension goes (more) t*ts up.

:cheers:

To be fair most of the £20,000-30,000 ones would need some work doing on them first but if you spend an hour or two searching there are a few at that price that are ready to move into. English property prices are just silly compared to over there. For £100,000-200,000 you can find some really special stuff with acres and acres of land that would set you back over a million in the UK.

(Apologies again to the OP for the thread drift. :oops: )

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
steve_1979 said:
(Apologies again to the OP for the thread drift. :oops: )

You never know.......he might just spend his money on a second home in France! :grin:

Now wouldn't that be a turn up for the books. Posting on a hifi forum asking for advice on speakers and amplifiers and ending up with a new house instead. :rofl:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
The more I hear certain systems, the more I'm inclined to believe that the law of diminishing returns is nowhere near as diminishing as many think. Lots of variables though. I would certainly state that the difference between a £10k and £20k system is much greater than 5%...

I would certainly agree that the improvement is considerably more than 5%.

Putting the thing on it's head, I prefer to think of how close a cheaper system gets to a more expensive one.

The cost of my system would roughly double if I replaced the Majik DS with an Akurate DS, and replaced the 205/2s with 207/2s.....I believe my system would get within around 75% of this new one. In other words a doubling of cost would get me a 25% improvement....very subjective I know, but that 25% comes at quite a cost, and too much for me to swallow.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Now wouldn't that be a turn up for the books. Posting on a hifi forum asking for advice on speakers and amplifiers and ending up with a new house instead. :rofl:

Given the conflicting advice on this thread, the OP may see it as the easier (and safer) option. :doh:

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
steve_1979 said:

Given the conflicting advice on this thread, the OP may see it as the easier (and safer) option. :doh:

Buying a house easier than buying hifi :quest: If I didn't know you were joking ...

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
The more I hear certain systems, the more I'm inclined to believe that the law of diminishing returns is nowhere near as diminishing as many think. Lots of variables though. I would certainly state that the difference between a £10k and £20k system is much greater than 5%...

Putting the thing on it's head, I prefer to think of how close a cheaper system gets to a more expensive one.

The cost of my system would roughly double if I replaced the Majik DS with an Akurate DS, and replaced the 205/2s with 207/2s.....I believe my system would get within around 75% of this new one. In other words a doubling of cost would get me a 25% improvement....very subjective I know, but that 25% comes at quite a cost, and too much for me to swallow.

But to arrive at this subjective measurement you have obviously given the matter some thought!!! :)

Perhaps if you got rid of the 35i and bought a primo / AMS50 combo instead you could somehow bring that performance / VFM ration down into the realms of acceptance :? :twisted:

At least you could be cinfident the newly reinforced flooers could take the extra weight

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
But to arrive at this subjective measurement you have obviously given the matter some thought!!! :)

Perhaps if you got rid of the 35i and bought a primo / AMS50 combo instead you could somehow bring that performance / VFM ration down into the realms of acceptance :? :twisted:

At least you could be cinfident the newly reinforced flooers could take the extra weight

.....and it's good to see you too!!

"Neuphonix logic" I can do without! :p

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
matt49 said:
CnoEvil said:
steve_1979 said:

Buying a house easier than buying hifi :quest: If I didn't know you were joking ...

You may need to get a house in France if you're ever to meet up with the missing Devialet.
evil.png

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Has been an interesting thread, although the OP seems to have disappeared.

I'm going to show my obvious bias and agree with David's earlier comments, make sure you listen to the Kef 205/2. Various options availabale as far as amplifcation is concerned. But I've been as happy as the proverbial pig since I bought mine.

Loud or soft, what-ever style is thrown at them, plenty big enough when required, detailed with-out being fatiguing.

Having just moved from a very detailed stand mount, my concern with going for a studio monitor would be that at first they might sound like the dogs b****cks, after a while they start wearing thin.

I would have liked to have had the chance to listen to the PMC PB1i or IB2i but circumstances didn't allow. The second option might start stretching the 20k budget thought when you start adding a worthy amp and source to the package.

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
matt49 said:
CnoEvil said:
steve_1979 said:

You may need to get a house in France if you're ever to meet up with the missing Devialet.
evil.png

Yeah Matt, what's happening with that? Is Christmas coming this week (or this year?). Or have you been too naughty :twisted:

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site

[/quote]

Just a small point but going from 75% to 100% is an improvement of 1/3 or 33.3%.

Going from 100% to 75% is 1/4 or 25% drop in performance.

Very nit-picky as I think everyone got the point.

(Appreciate your post CnoEvil, even when replying to someone else you give me food for thought)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FennerMachine said:
Just a small point but going from 75% to 100% is an improvement of 1/3 or 33.3%.

(Appreciate your post CnoEvil, even when replying to someone else you give me food for thought)

:doh:

You are off course quite correct.......sometimes I just take the "head staggers". :wall:

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
FennerMachine said:

[/quote]

Well well well, you're already 8.3% closer than you thought you were!!! What else can we do to help nudge you closer to a decision? >)

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Neuphonix said:
Well well well, you're already 8.3% closer than you thought you were!!! What else can we do to help nudge you closer to a decision? >)

Lies, dam lies and percentages. :wall:

Well the dormant bulb of "you know you want to" has begun to sprout! & with the right amount of watering I'm sure your're 8.3% will blossom into a vibrant 16-17% & before you know it BAM you find a pair of 207s standing there in your lounge room.

You do of course already know how much better the Akurate sound than the Majik :twisted:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
Well the dormant bulb of "you know you want to" has begun to sprout! & with the right amount of watering I'm sure your're 8.3% will blossom into a vibrant 16-17% & before you know it BAM you find a pair of 207s standing there in your lounge room.

You do of course already know how much better the Akurate sound than the Majik :twisted:

There is no "Well", or "Dormant Bulbs", and sprouts make me flatulent......and my house ate my money. :(

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
CnoEvil said:
evil.png

Yeah Matt, what's happening with that? Is Christmas coming this week (or this year?). Or have you been too naughty :twisted:

I'm currently receiving therapy for the Devialet. My analyst says I'm doing well and should make it through the next two weeks. If it hasn't arrived by then, I might be looking at medication.

:eek:utcold:

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
Neuphonix said:
CnoEvil said:
evil.png

I'm currently receiving therapy for the Devialet. My analyst says I'm doing well and should make it through the next two weeks. If it hasn't arrived by then, I might be looking at medication.

:eek:utcold:

Or an AMS35i :)

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:
My overriding point is with that sort of budget I would want to go into dealerships with a (very) open mind. Everyone on here has their own preference. No-way would I encourage, and indeed why I haven't (and won't) recommend any brands/models.

Absolutely nothing to do with sour grapes. If it is, let them ripen first.

Of course you don't have sour grapes, and I hope I haven't given that impression.

IMO. It is wise to glean a certain amount of knowledge before you get to the dealer stage, or you may end up with what he thinks is best. A basic understanding of what you are talking about should gain you a little respect and get you taken more seriously.

There are dealers who will give good advice and steer you right, but that can't necessarily be taken for granted. Coming from his existing system, almost everything will sound impressive.......but as I've said before, something is only impressive until you hear better.

Having a list of what to try (if you don't know it exists, you won't know to ask for it), and having a basic understanding of Active vs Passive, the different Types and Classes of amps, and the different ways speakers can be designed (IB/Ported/TL), as well as the importance of set up and room acoustics................is a good place to start.

I don't honestly think knowledge is the main criteria, regardless of budget. How many times over the years have you and I, amongst others, stated "trust your own ears", so on and so forth.

If you're using the car analogy, the same applies. If I had taken any notice of reviews I wouldn't have my Alfa. Yet it has, arguably, been one of the best cars I've owned or even driven. And this has been the crux of my reasoning.

I'm the first to admit I don't have very good technical knowledge, nonetheless I absolutely do know THE SOUND I like - even more pertinent, the sound I DON'T...

Clearly the OP only streams or uses digital sources (think). IMHO, it is about parking his backside in various dealerships and finding the combination that does it for him.

The OP just needs to be strong with dealers and tell them his final budget; room size and acoustics and what type of set-up that suits his needs (integrated, pre/power combo, old fashioned passive kit or active). Also don't pay too much attention to reviews or star ratings, just let the lugholes do the deciding.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
I don't honestly think knowledge is the main criteria, regardless of budget. How many times over the years have you and I, amongst others, stated "trust your own ears", so on and so forth.

If you're using the car analogy, the same applies. If I had taken any notice of reviews I wouldn't have my Alfa. Yet it has, arguably, been one of the best cars I've owned or even driven. And this has been the crux of my reasoning.

I'm the first to admit I don't have very good technical knowledge, nonetheless I absolutely do know THE SOUND I like - even more pertinent, the sound I DON'T...

Clearly the OP only streams or uses digital sources (think). IMHO, it is about parking his backside in various dealerships and finding the combination that does it for him.

The OP just needs to be strong with dealers and tell them his final budget; room size and acoustics and what type of set-up that suits his needs (integrated, pre/power combo, old fashioned passive kit or active). Also don't pay too much attention to reviews or star ratings, just let the lugholes do the deciding.

I would argue that knowledge gives the best hope of success, by getting the "right" products as far as your ears.

A lot of what I suggest has to be sniffed out...and the right design of speaker can work properly in a difficult room for example.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts