speakers and amp advice - £10-20k budget for rock and dance music

aje1979

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
hi

looking for advice on speakers and amps to audition for listening to mainly rock music and dance (house/techno), but also all other genres of music.

5X5m living room.

using digital source so only after amp and speakers with budget £10-20k. Any suggestions on what brands sound best for rock/dance music in this price range (used or new)?

many thanks

A

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
aje1979 said:
hi

looking for advice on speakers and amps to audition for listening to mainly rock music and dance (house/techno), but also all other genres of music.

5X5m living room.

using digital source so only after amp and speakers with budget £10-20k. Any suggestions on what brands sound best for rock/dance music in this price range (used or new)?

many thanks

A

If I spent that sort of money on a system that only sounded good with rock and dance music, I'd be inclined to feel short changed.

Can any system costing this much really sound bad and if so, do you think it should?

aje1979

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
no wouldnt expect anything to sound bad for that money, just wondered if any brands in particular are better with that kind of music than others.. do listen to a wide variety of music but a lot of the time those genres.

cheers

mpapo

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
http://www.genelec.com/products/8260a/

http://www.barefootsound.com/micromain27gen2.html

http://www.pmc-speakers.com/products/professional/active/ib2s-a

I could understand if you're scared of the studio look, if you're not, these should all be wonderfull speakers.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
What is your source and how do you like your music to sound.......have you heard any systems you like?

I take it you will be auditioning, so what brands do you have access to?

IMO You should be looking at Amps from the likes of :

- Electrocompaniet

- Plinius

- Classe

- Musical Fidelity

- Bryston

- Bel Canto

And looking at Speakers from:

- Kef (Reference / R Series)

- PMC

- Proac

- Vienna Acoustics

- Art

- Kudos

- GamuT

FWIW I find my system of MF AMS 35i + Kef Ref 205/2 sounds great with everything.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
mpapo said:
http://www.genelec.com/products/8260a/

+1 for Genelec 8260A

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/genelec2/1.html

8020a_zpsc6cbbf4a.jpg

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Given your styles of music, I'd be thinking about speakers first. Your kind of music is -- forgive me for saying it -- not especially subtle in texture, so the refinement and coherence that a good standmount speaker gives wouldn't be a priority for me. And you have a large room. So I'd be looking at floorstanders with substantial woofers (as there's a more or less direct correlation between frequency response and cone surface area).

Of the more widely available brands, I'd look at KEF, B&W, Elac, Dynaudio, and Focal among others. The Vivid speakers are also great: they might not go quite as deep, but they're hugely dramatic (though expensive).

Then you'd want a big beast of an amp to drive the speakers. Something with enough power to render transients with massive dynamics in a realistic way. I heard the Krell S-550i a while ago: it's a real powerhouse. Bryston and Musical Fidelity might also be good. I'd strongly second Cno's recommendation of his Musical Fidelity AMS35i: the bass depth and control is phenomenal. A Devialet 170 will give you big bass too.

:cheers:

Matt

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Overdose said:
] If I spent that sort of money on a system that only sounded good with rock and dance music, I'd be inclined to feel short changed. Can any system costing this much really sound bad and if so, do you think it should?

It depends what you call bad. How your scale of goodness to badness is calibrated.

I've heard systems costing that much, and a lot more, making a mess of certain reference test tracks - as in sounding worse on those tracks than other systems I've heard costing less than 10% as much. That to me is bad. Relatively bad. To other people these systems on those tracks would sound good, because they sound better than the cheaper systems they've heard - eg cheaper systems from the same brands.

aje1979

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
yeah not sure about the studio look, but thanks for the suggestions. how do monitors get on with subtler music styles?

im literally totally ignorant to a decent system, coming from a £500 richer sounds Cambridge Audio system but split up with my g/f earlier this year and its time to treat myself... new car or quality sound system.. i know what i'd prefer!!! i'll keep my old banger and enjoy some music!

aje1979

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the short list.

how do you think i should split the budget, is it 50/50 speakers and amp??

definitely will be auditioning.. the bryston 4bsst2 sounds very tempting with matching preamp. basically just want to buy a setup that i will not have to ever change until im an oap! not sure what the alternatives for this amp are from the other brands you mentioned? ..and how this amp rates? reviews all seem favourable.

source will be sonos (spotify and lossless CD collection), initially direct from that and when i clear the debts from the amp and speakers maybe sort a DAC out!

thanks again for the list above.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Do you want a system that will blow your socks off on recording after recording, regardless of looks, age, fashion?

Or do you want something that looks trendy, is small to medium size that will blow your socks off with the best recordings, but sound a bit meh with average recordings?

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
aje1979 said:
yeah not sure about the studio look, but thanks for the suggestions. how do monitors get on with subtler music styles?

im literally totally ignorant to a decent system, coming from a £500 richer sounds Cambridge Audio system but split up with my g/f earlier this year and its time to treat myself... new car or quality sound system.. i know what i'd prefer!!! i'll keep my old banger and enjoy some music!

Buy the car and get out and meet a new woman!

Chris

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
- IMO. You should be looking to spend around 50% on the amp, but there are no hard and fast rules.....as it depends on the amp as well as the speakers.

- All the brands of amps that I have listed are excellent, with plenty of current to drive difficult speakers. You will only know which you prefer by going to a shop and listening to a couple of different models from each brand. Companies like MF and Plinius do a Class A version, which is my preference. Electrocompaniet are AB amps heavily biased in Class A; Bryston (AB) are very clean, punchy and neutral; Classe is a touch more forgiving; Bel Canto are Class D and sound clean and detailed.

- There are certain matches with amp and speakers that I believe will work well:

eg. Bryston / Kef Reference; Electrocompaniet / PMC; Plinius / Proac; Classe / Vienna Acoustics; MF / Kudos; Bel Canto / Kef R Series

If you are putting a system of this quality together, you need (imo) a source which can keep up, otherwise it will be shown up. I would be looking at something like a Linn Majik DS. If you have £20k to play with, I think you should be looking at setting aside about £2k for the source, and then split the rest between amp and speakers.

FWIW. My system consists of Linn Majik DS + Musical Fidelity AMS 35i + Kef reference 205/2s, and with a bit of effort and haggling can be got for less than £10k. This I believe would give you what you are looking for......but don't take my word for anything, and try to listen to as many combinations as possible, as there is a lot of good stuff out there.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Covenanter said:
aje1979 said:

Buy the car and get out and meet a new woman!

Chris

We know you bought a new car recently, Chris. Anything else you want to share? :p

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
aje1979 said:

Bear in mind that the music you listen to on your hifi has been mixed and mastered using studio monitors!

Also consider that there are many people who have moved away from traditional separate systems to studio monitors or active speakers in general because of the benefits they offer. The Event Opals are one such example of this and have had much praise heaped upon them from the hifi side of the fence, with the speakers being compared favourably with much more expensive traditional setups. However, if looks are important to you, you would need to spend quite a bit more for more hifi styled actives unless you were to look at cheaper speakers from Dynaudio or AVI, for example.

As you have by your own admission, little experience in this hobby, I would advise listening very carefully to a variety of systems and certainly don't let on that you have perhaps upwards of 10K to spend on a system. You will almost certainly be convinced that you need to spend it all to get the best results.

There's a lot to be said for old bangers for sure, but they do go wrong, so why not put a couple of thousand in the bank in case you need to get another when yours packs up?

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Overdose said:
As you have by your own admission, little experience in this hobby, I would advise listening very carefully to a variety of systems and certainly don't let on that you have perhaps upwards of 10K to spend on a system.

Wise words indeed Sir.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
aje1979 said:

OK, advice from your 'lifestyle' guru here........ ;)

Spend about £2k on a pair of Event Opals, or if you want something a bit more conventional looking, a pair of Adam S series. A decent remote control dac/preamp and even with stands and cables you are looking at no more than £3k.

The sound will be fantastic, it may lack the ultimate refinement of a top passive system but given your musical preferences that is hardly going to be an issue, scale, punch and presence will be immense though, a perfectly acceptable result in my view.

This will of course still leave you with ample funds for a half decent motor, win - win....... :grin:

If you need a bit of encouragement, just remember the immortal words of Ian Drury......

Had a love affair with Nina,

In the back of my Cortina................

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I would really want to try these if room allows and big / traditional speakers don't put one off...

http://www.whathifi.com/review/spendor-sp100r2

... something like Sudgen's Masterclass LA-4, SPA-4 or 2x MPA-4 to power them...

http://www.sugdenaudio.com/masterclass.htm

In a 5m x 5m room you could scale down to Spendor's SP2/3R2s ...

http://www.whathifi.com/review/spendor-sp2-3r2

... and Sugden's Masterclass IA4 integrated.

You could also call Harbeth Loudspeakes and discuss your needs with them...

http://www.harbeth.co.uk/uk/index.php

However, these suggestions reflect some of my Lottery Jackpot aspirations whereas it's actually your money :) Take your time and make sure you can try out the options in your home. (If you can't - on that budget - then you have just met a dealer with no understanding of the current economic conditions.)

In a completely different direction, you could waggle your £10K - £20K at Band & Olufsen or Meridian. (You can afford some of their better solutions.)

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
For around £2k you can have the AVI ADM9RS + ADM sub (no step amp required). They could be all you ever need.

As as well as this, I'd be booking a demo with B & O to hear the Beolab 9 and the Beolab 5.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
If you are new to all this, you are likely to be left more confused than ever by the very different, but well meaning advice you will get.

You MUST NOT assume that any of us have "the answer" which is right for you.

There is only one way to become more knowledgeable, and that is to take the suggestions you get here, make a list, and start the demo process.

There are 3 possible paths that you might consider:

1. The Traditional route - much as I have suggested above.

2. The "One Box" route - where you get something like a Linn Majik DSM, which has source & amp in a single housing.....just add speakers, like Kef R700s.

3. Active Speaker route - these use an active crossover, and the amps (one for each drive unit) are built into the speakers......just add a source.

Each method has their advantages / disadvantages, and no assumptions can be made as to which you will prefer. In a subjective area such as one's taste in musical presentation, "better" is the one you enjoy most.

Once you understand how you like your system to sound, it is easier to narrow down the suggestions we give.....and there is only one way to do that, which is to try different Types and Classes of amp; try as many speakers as is practical, as well as comparing Active vs Passive systems.

The suggestions you have received so far are all good, but will sound VERY different indeed......your job is to find which is most suitable for your needs and your taste.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
Take your time and make sure you can try out the options in your home. (If you can't - on that budget - then you have just met a dealer with no understanding of the current economic conditions.)

Even more wise words for the OP to take onboard. I will add this.... If any dealer refuses you the option of a home dem ,walk !.

How your room plays the system is numero uno in this hifi malarky , this is why home dems are a must.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
If it is about enjoying your music rather more than the kudos[??] of having spent £10k or more, then buy a pair of AVI ADM 9RS active speakers + dedicated AVI sub for just £2k.

It is my experience, in a room slightly larger than yours, that just the speakers without sub produce a wonderful room filling sound beyond the abilities of considerably more expensive kit. With the dedicated sub you move on just that little bit further, particularly in terms of dealing with any room issues, and there is the added oomph with film soundtracks.

You can then spend the rest of the money treating yourself in other areas.

Best of luck.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
relocated said:
If it is about enjoying your music rather more than the kudos[??] of having spent £10k or more, then buy a pair of AVI ADM 9RS active speakers + dedicated AVI sub for just £2k.

This would great if it could be guaranteed that we would all like the same thing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts