Speaker Wire Confusion!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

We've just bought some better quality speaker wire for our Sony home cinema system. The original wire had little metal crimps that held the ends of the wire into the plugs that goes into the back of the system.

The shop where we bought the wire from said we wouldn't need to buy these crimps for the new wire and said just bending the wire into the plugs would suffice. He suggested the crimps would actually reduce the sound quality.

Is this correct and the best thing to do? I was concerned the connections may be loose and that would reduce the sound quality?

Thanks

Mx

A

Anonymous

Hello,

If you put the speaker cables directly into the plugs the sound will be as good as with, or without, the crimps. Crimps are used to make installation easier and depending on the material used they can reduce the sound quality.

But stripped pieces of speaker cable, depending on the material, can oxidize and therefore reduce the sound quality over time also.

Like always, there is a big difference between theory (oxidation) and practice (hearing) so I woulnd't worry too much. There are some speaker cables termination possibilities (QEd, WBT) that can eliminate oxidation but they will cost you a lot and these can't be used with the speaker connection clips on some home cinema systems.

Bram

A

Anonymous

Hi Mariec

First my I say welcome to this forum.

You hopefully will find it useful.

My very first post got few replies and I would urge all WHF members to make an effort and reply to as many posts as possible.

Remember a problem to one member is just as important and relevant as your own so please...make an effort to reply l!!!

If your binding posts on your speaker are spring clips (lever that you hold down and then put your cable in and when you release your finger the contact lever "springs" back holding the wire tightly in place) then I personally feel that the guy in the shop is right.

If however your speaker terminals are female without a securing "threaded nut" he is wrong. You then would need a correct bannana plug and solder the wire to this prior to connection.

You want as few obstacles as possible causing resistance to any signal.

Good luck.

Miotog

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Which Sony system is it? If it's one of the ones with little colour-coded plugs on the end you may well find it's tricky to make a firm, lasting connection without the plugs.

I seem to recall that some of these systems had plugs you could open up and fit to new wires, but if not, you may find these plugs fit...

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone for your replies- It's so difficult to know what's best! The speaker wire wasn't cheap either so i don't want to mess it up!

Andrew- It's the Sony DAV-DZ280 system that has the colour coded plugs- we were able to open these so hopefully i'll be able to open them and fit the new wires in. If i feel it's not going to be a secure enough connection then i'll use the metal crimpers.

Thanks everyone! Knew you'd be able to help!!

Mxx

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts