Speaker wire, choice of 3?

Always cut the red wire!

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,

Posts are a bit low on her so thought I’d ask a question.

I will be redecorating and will be putting the cable behind the plaster so they are out of the way…for good!

Going to buy some speaker cables that fit within my budget and have narrowed my search down to these three:

QED silver anniv’ XT Evo

Chord company carnival silver screen

Van Damme Blue series 2x4mm

All are between £3-4.00.

These are from an Onkyo HTR 538 (same as 508) to 5.1 speakers - Tannoy Mercury Customs F1/F3 if it makes any difference to your suggestions.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Silver Screen is a little more at £5.20 per metre unless you mean the Classic? I'd recommend Chord Silver Screen - quite a thick cable so if you want something to tuck under the carpets, the QED Silver Screen XT is a little thinner and also a very impressive cable.

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I have both the QED and chord silverscreen. I found the silverscreen more balanced tonally, on my system the QED was a little bright and lacked a little bottom end. The chord seem to be a little more natural sounding with a little more bass punch.

Cheers

Steve.

RobGardner

Jul 22, 2008
Visit site
If you are going to chase the cables into the wall I would suggest the Chord cable. It is thicker and will take a lot more channelling but it is a screened cable so should be less prone to rf interference from light dimmers and radio etc. It is the cable I used for my ceiling speakers in the kitchen for that very reason.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
stephennic:
Hi,

I have both the QED and chord silverscreen. I found the silverscreen more balanced tonally, on my system the QED was a little bright and lacked a little bottom end. The chord seem to be a little more natural sounding with a little more bass punch.

Cheers

Steve.

A good assessment but this can be almost be flipped on its head for other equipment too - its worth having a listen if you can.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts