speaker cables for HF & LF passive biamping of B&W 603 s2 connected to Arcam avr250

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
i have just now passive biamped front B&W 603 s2
using SB L/R in Arcam avr250 . when i went to B&W site to learn about biamping, they
have written there that each wire is either better for HF or LF so biamping gives
you an option of using relevent wire for HF and LF

from B&W website

" Firstly, all cables are a compromise. Some types of construction work
better at low frequencies and others at

higher frequencies. Providing separate inputs to the speaker allows you
to use different cable types, each

optimised for the frequency range of use."

This has really caught my fancy as i used to love low bass from
B&W when they were powered from Denon avr1604.On arcam sound
quality like warmth,clarity and sound stage has improved by miles but bass is not that
punchy and low anymore even after biamping.I upgraded from denon as the sound used to be fatiguing and bright

I live in a flat with concrete walls and my lounge has minimum furniture

which type of cable or any particluar cable till 6-7 £ a metre i should
use for LF to improve bass and which type of cable i should use for HF

how are Nordost super flatline gold mk2 biwire cable for my system? i read that they reduce bass but are really clear and airy.Please advice

currently i am using IXOS 6006 gamma geometry for LF abd van Damme LC
OFC cblue colour cable for HF. Both these cables are copper strand
cables with IXOS being thicker thus hopefully providing lower resistance
for LF

I need help of all of experienced people here. i did here that silver
anniversery XT biwire is very good for B&W, but have no way to
confirm that , that too with arcam.

Any idea asbout standard gale XL315 cable, heard they are good for bass
but dull for hF?

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi Mav,

There has been much debate over the years regarding different cables for LF/HF connections.

In my view, any differences you may hear will be negligible- my recommendation would be to use QED Revelation for both connections. This is an excellent cable, with great bass weight and clear, precise treble.

If your treble is a bit fierce, try Atlas Hyper 2.0, which is a touch smoother at the top end. Your current Ixos is a reasonable cable, but either of these would bring a noticeable upgrade.

Bringing in two different types of cable simply means more variables in your system, and you will find yourself constantly dissatisfied with whatever you have. Spend a little more than you were planning on either the QED or Atlas, and you will not be disappointed. Maybe your next upgrade should be a big, thick, heavy rug to tame your room's acoustics a bit- this can make a huge difference!

Admittedly, this is just my opinion. Keep things simple, and then just get on with enjoying your music!

All the best,

Jon

A

Anonymous

The revelation is double the persons budget, and although a fantastic cable, is going to be very expensive for him.

If I was you go for ghord silverscreen. £5.50 per metre, and will help with the bass weight, and general overall sound. It is a very good cable also.

A

Anonymous

The revelation would work great though. I have it in my other system, and its a very good all round cable.

A

Anonymous

Thanks a lot guys for prompt and expert replies.I will check the price of chord silverline and QED, Atlas cables.

Has any body heard Nordost flatline gold Mk2 biwire cables? i am getting them through a friend for 55£ .retails around 150 £. pair of 3 meter biwire with banana plugs.they are used but i am ok with that.

also how are gale xl315 biwire as they are selling new , end of the reel for 4£ a meter unterminated though!!

Does terminateing a cable with good quality banana plug improves sound then using them bare wire?

i am sorry i dont have much budget and will prefer a tighter bass and open soundstage, clear vocals.I am fine with highs provided by current van damme hul ofc cable and arcam avr250 as i think my lounge is bright and accentuates highs .I will save some money and will invest in thicker rug for sure.

source-Dell xps m2010 laptop connected via USB to Creative external
sound card which is connected to receiver via profigold 1m coax cable

I listen to all kind of music basically 320 kpbs music ripped from
Stereo CDs.

I have medium size lounge 22 feets by 11 feets,concrete walls and
floor, wooden tiles.i have 603 s2's on spikes on hard floor. should i remove it to improve
bass? i like tight but deep bass

Its also a odd almost L shaped lounge and speakers are along longer side so how to improve stereo imaging?

i am sorry for lots of questions.kept on reading so many forums from past 15 days for setting up myy speakers and bought used avr250, biamped front channel which opened up the sound a lot but still not fully satisifed.I am willing to experiment with speaker positioning, cables etc.

Thanks in advance to both of you and others who look into my looong mail

A

Anonymous

Go with the chord if you want to tame the brightness a bit, as it is a copper core, and this will smooth out the sound. The cable is very good, and has won many awards etc from all sources and magazines.

Best cable for the money out there.

Terminating the cable is more of a convenience thing, so that if you move the kit or speakers about, then you don't have to unscrew the things from both ends. In sound terms, they do not make a difference either way.

Add pictures to the walls, plants etc in the room, some items that break up the sound waves and nasty reflections off surfaces. Get a nice big thick rug too. Makes the room more homely as well lol

A

Anonymous

haa haa Potboyslim.I am single and part time student too so my lounge reflects that.lol

will put some pictures soon in lounge

i am fine with sound as far as treble of high frequency goes.i sued to have wharedale evo's connected with nad c312 amplifier albeit in room having more furniture in smaller dimensions and with wood suspended flooring. they used to make me beleive there are musicians sitting in my room at different places.amazing streo imaging.

all this plan for changing cables, changing amplifier etc has mostly to do with improving stereo imaging and taming harsh, bright sound

Bright sound has been replaced with warm, airy ,clear sound after changing to arcam and bi amping them.sound stage has improved.I dont feel that sound is coming from speakersanymore but that live orchestra effect is not coming

i am changing cables to improve that, will it help?

what to do to improve sound stage and imaging?

will try to add some furniture, like will leather bound chair etc help?

A

Anonymous

Try the cables first, before doing anything radical, and also the placement of the speakers, away from the side wall, rear wall etc...

I used to be single, then when I moved in with my GF, and everything was vetted to make sure it passed ger test haha!

That is why my main system is in the bedroom, as she said the colour of the speakers did not match the sofa and chairs!! You can guess my answer... Yes darling, exactly what I was thinking!!

A

Anonymous

my gf used to live with me till a month back.My speakers were nearer to walls. cable had to take longer route so that they dont destroy the decor, i have my rear channel, sorrounds wired from gale xl315.was not able to play music loud : ( etc.

now with all new found freedom regarding hifi setup i am doing lots of reading to improve soindstaging etc

I have moved speakers away from reall, side walls, the are good two feet from side walls and one speaker is 5 feet away from side wall, while another is 12 feet away so its really uneven

is it affecting sound stage? well i have lounge *** kitchen so cant help it much.

which amp and speakers are you using if i may ask?

lol luckily all my speakers are ash black and room is milky white so it matched well in my case.

A

Anonymous

I am in the process of getting a cyrus pre vs2, so already have the psx-r and x power. Speakers are spendor s3e's.

Downstairs I have a creek evo amp, but that is going to be sold to get the pre amp, then I will have a cyrus 8vs2 into the rega apollo and the leema xero's.

A

Anonymous

Hi

potboyslim
i have not heard cyrus gear but read good things about them.

anyone help me please .Please read long post of bit ober enthusiastic, i admit it its too long but wanted to state all facts ; )

cheers

mav

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts