Speaker Upgrade

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
System: Pro-Ject Xperience turntable with Ortofon Rondo Red MC cartridge, Trichord Dino/Dino+ phono amp, Linn Karik III CD player, Linn Kudos tuner, Linn Wakonda pre-amp and 2 x Linn LK100s bi-amping a pair of Ruark Prologue One floorstanding speakers. Interconnects are VDH, speaker cable is Linn K10.

I'm convinced that the Ruark's are limiting my systems overall performance, particularly in terms of the sense of '3D' generated and by producing a midrange that feels 'congested'. So I'm thinking ahead to a speaker upgrade and wouldn't mind some pointers as to what I should be auditioning. I generally prefer floorstanders, even in my moderate size living room and I want to continue to utilize my two power amps in a bi-amp configuration too. Budget is circa £1.5k, although I could possibly stretch to £2k if the reasons were compelling.

So far I've come up with the Proac Studio 140's as a possibility...but what else should a give a listen too? I'd appreciate some pointers from those of you out there with more experience than I...thanks.

A

A

Anonymous

those monitor audio gold signature 60's retail for 2 grand. I want to give them an audition even though I cant afford them!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Ex-dem Sonus Faber Cremona auditor get my vote. The speakers disappear convincingly in to a deepest, widest soundstage I have heard (at any price!)

A

Anonymous

OK, slight change of focus.

If I broaden things to include standmount speakers, then what should I consider for this budget apart from the aforementioned ex-dem SF Cremonas?

Thanks...A

A

Anonymous

"Defiinitely Monitor Audio GR10s - they sound gorgeous."

The GS 10 is the more up to date model and still within the price range... but that being the case you should check out the new Platinum PL-100 simply because they look the bidness, claim to sound the bidness, I think they were 3 grand though I'm not sure.

A

Anonymous

Is this it?

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/cms/uploads/userfiles/File/reviews/GS%20reviews/GS10GramoAwards07.pdf

jules.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts