What speaker choice (Dynaudio?) / upgrade path HELP!!!

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Current setup Arcam AVR 280 Amp / Marantz DV6001 DVD player / B&W MT20 Surround speakers & Sub (ASW2). Only using 2.1 setup on sideboard as nowhere to place front speakers. Problem Doesn’t get much usage now (toddler on loose). Immediate plan is for a better stereo setup with fuller sound & good timing and suited to rock music (not overly critical of older recordings). Speakers I think is my starting point and thinking of getting some monitor speakers that will work well on sideboard without boomy bass and losing too much sonic character. Don’t seem to be able to upload a picture showing room layout so to explain… need to be able to work reasonable well close to rear wall (10-15cm) and I have fire place which protrudes into the room (middle) along the length axis (16ft * 13ft) with sideboard on right side of fire place. Sideboard comes out a little further than the fireplace if this helps speaker positioning in terms of being close to sidewall? I don’t mind selling / upgrading existing components if needed but like to keep AV AMP and ability to play SACDs if possible. I have an original dacmagic 1 in loft and could also use existing sub. Options to wallmount rear surrounds if keeping and centre channel can hide behind TV when not in use to keep out the way if keeping AV stuff. Budget around £800, or more (£1500) if replacing existing kit and possible future upgrades. Solution? I guess maybe demo some smallish speakers (get home trial) with current setup. Been looking at Dynaudio DM2/6, AVI Neutron 5, ATC SCM7, Dynaudio MC15. IE size and flexible with positioning. Will AMP drive these ok. 80watt per channel. Can bi-amp I think. Other options:- Upgrade source. Secondhand Arcam DV139 or such? Would an all in one system be much better sounding? How about digital route as I have been tempted with active speakers, namely Dynaudio MC15 with a Squeezebox and adding a dac but apart from the speaker, am worried this be a downgrade in sound quality. Same with using Sonos. Also, don’t want to reply on PC / laptop being on to use. At end of day must be convenient to use. Can you please recommend speakers from these that would work best for me and how to make most of equipment I have? I can then plan some demo’s, the fun part Cheers Ambrose

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Opps posted twice sorry!

So any thoughts on active vs passive speakers best for my needs please and specific recommendations?
Cheers
Ambrose

A

Anonymous

Try some Sonus Faber Toys. They're designed to be placed on shelves/desks so I think the sideboard would be OK.

They're also rather good...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts