Speaker Upgrade - Where to Start?

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Well, with the prospect of some spending money on the horizon within the next few months, thoughts turn to another round of upgrades
smiley-smile.gif

I've had my Ruark Icons for about 15 years now, and as much as I still love them, the rest of my system has moved on and it seems only logical that a pair of speakers that cost £375 (about £520 in today's money) are not delivering what the Sonneeter amp and cdp (and the Systemdek for that matter) are presenting to them.

So I'm looking for exta detail and I imagine greater clarity, although without at anytime sounding at all bright.

If read that speakers that work well with Naim are also generally well suited to the Sonneteer. So brands I'm reading and hearing about are Neat, Kudos, Harbeth, Totem, and Penaudio - brands I'm not at all familiar with apart from Neat (and not that I've heard them for many many years).

Budget... well, I'm thinking up to £1500, but would happily stretch that further if it was easily justified - the intention, after all, will be to keep them for another 15 years!

I'd prefer stand-mounts to floorstanders, although for no real good reason, so that is not set in stone. The main consideration is that my hi-fi integrates with my AV setup, so whichever manufacturer I went with they would have to also produce a matching centre speaker (rear's would be good too but not fussed about that and would most likely move the Ruark's to the rear).

Due to layout of the room, space is a bit tight, so really need something that doesn't need to be kept away from the walls too much - 20-30cm would be ideal.

Auditioning will naturally be a part of the process, but if anyone has any thoughts on the above brands (or alternatives) that would help tremendously in narrowing the field down.

Cheers

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Well I can vouch for Harbeth - I have the P3ESR - but they don't currently make a centre channel so you'd have to rule them out of your thinking.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Cheers - yeah, does seem to be a limiting factor that's ruling out some wonderful products
smiley-frown.gif

I'd love to go down the path of having a 5.1 speaker system for the AV, AND a stereo pair for the hi-fi, but alas I don't think I've got the space, nor the money, for that...

A

Anonymous

My Spendor SA1s work wonderfully well with my Naim Supernait, and has all the qualities that you describe......

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Read many good things about Spendors, so thanks will have a look - I see they do a centre speaker so definetely on to go on the list.

Re Harbeth, I see there's a thread on their forums that's been going for a couple of years regarding centre speakers, but any plans to produce one are still only at the concept stage which is a pity... surprised to read that they are dubious as to the demand for a centre speaker...

A

Anonymous

Sonus Faber and Vienna Acoustics go exceptionally well with Naim so should be good for Sonneteer, too.

A

Anonymous

If you are needing AV integration as well Monitor Audio RX range is a must audition.

Have a RS8 AV system which is so good with music as well.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions - the list is growing, talk about spoilt for choice! I think it's going to have to come down to what my local dealers stock, in-store demos, and then a home audition against the Ruarks...

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
trevor79 said:
If you are needing AV integration as well Monitor Audio RX range is a must audition.

Have a RS8 AV system which is so good with music as well.

Hey good to see you around these parts again (although haven't been around myself that much for a variety of reasons). My BT mains conditioners are still doing a great job :)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Naim and ATC go together well. SCM19s would be ideal standmounts to last you 10 years and have all the qualities you describe, likewise SCM40s if you wanted floorstanders. Matching centre would be the C1C or C3C depending on budget.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts