Speaker upgrade

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I recently pensioned off my old TEAC Ref 300 after nearly 10 years of great service. I replaced it with two NAD components - a C325BEE and a C515BEE. I have so far retained my old speakers - a pair of Monitor Audio S1's, bought at the same time as the TEAC.

If I wanted to upgrade my speakers, what would you suggest? Would the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's constitute an upgrade, or a sideways move?

Budget? £200 - ish.......

Thanks in advance & Best Regards

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Current fave in the 200 quid bracket is the M.A BR2.

Not heard 'em myslef, but they're a popular speaker & I don't believe anybody buying them has been disappointed.

A

Anonymous

Make sure you demo a NAD + MA partnership first, as Ive found it particularly bright

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Yeah for me id go for the M/A BR2's as well or if youre happy with 2nd hand components; have a look at either B&W 602 S2's or S3's on eBay.

Personally i'd go for the B&W 602 S2's but thats just IMO.

All mentioned speakers will give your NAD separates a good base and will offer you, again IMO, a better soundstage over the Warfedale's. Deeper more controlled bass, smoother midrange and sweet, crisp treble.

If you can make sure you budget for decent mass-loadable stands

A

Anonymous

The MA BR2's are your best bet for £200.00. I had a pair for a year and I loved them. I paired them with all sorts of components (all 3 times more in terms of price!) and these wonderful speakers delivered plenty everytime.

Just make sure you put them on a pair of decent stands, i.e., Soundstyle etc. You will not be dissapointed, I assure you.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all your help so far. I can feel this becoming addictive.......

A

Anonymous

The S1s are good speakers and I'm not convinced that you'll get a better sound (technically better that is) for £200. If you want a step up in detail, focus, etc, then I would hunt for a pair of second hand GR10s (not sure how much but a bit more than £200). If you're looking for a different presentation then certainly try the current MA range and the Wharfdales, good speakers.

A

Anonymous

Hi Septicman

Apologies for jumping into your thread, but I've been weighing up the pro's
and cons of upgrading. A couple of the
original setups on my list were the Teac Ref 300 MkIII and some NAD separates.

Knowing that you are using the same speakers, reduces any difference to the
souce/amp, and hopefully makes comparison reasonably straight forward.

Hence I'm curious as to how the sound of the NAD stuff compares to your old
TEAC system?

Best
Serenity

A

Anonymous

Hi Serenity,

Given that I know very little about HiFi and other gadgets, if I want to buy something my usual MO now is to come to this type of site and try and learn. I will also go to a magazine like What HiFi and check their recommendations. So when I am ready to buy, I will have a budget in mind, and look for 5 star recommendations and then investigate them from there.

This was what I did with the TEAC nearly 10 years ago. I think it is either the Mk1 or Mk2. It was a 5 star recommendation at the time, as were the MA S1 speakers, which were considered a Best Buy. To be honest, even using the TEAC supplied leads, the sound has been very good, and were it not for the fact that the CD player has become unreliable, I would definitely have carried on with it.

I recently bought the NAD separates from Richer sounds, having compared them with Cambridge Audio. I also bought some Audio Innovations Bi-Wire speaker cable, and from another dealer, a couple of Chord Company Crimson Interconnects. One set to connect the CD player to the amp, and the other to replace the steel jumper connects in the back of the amp, a tip picked up on this site.

To be honest, the NAD sound, IMHO is way ahead of the TEAC. It is crisper, clearer, more detailed, more atmospheric etc. Listening to the NAD makes me smile each time I put a CD on. To me, it sounded better than the CA, and with my S1 speakers better still than the demo set up at Richer.

The other difference is that the TEAC is half the width of the NAD, so if space is a consideration that might be an issue for you.

My speaker question was to see if an upgrade was possible on a budget. The S1 speakers are very good, but given that I'm in upgrade mode, I wanted to know how much I need to spend to see an appreciable difference. The answer looks like "a lot".

Hope this helps.

T

the record spot

What is the problem with the S1's? Not quite enough detail? Too bright/warm...? What sound are you looking to achieve?

A

Anonymous

I suppose the short answer is something closer to reality - to actually standing in front of the musicians - if that makes sense. My assumption is the more expensive the speaker, the closer you get?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:I personally wouldn't upgrade unless you were thinking of spending upwards of £400-£500.

My answer is the same as Mr. sim shady. Side grade is far too easily done...waste of money rather than saving!

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:I personally wouldn't upgrade unless you were thinking of spending upwards of £400-£500.
I think the new Neutrons are under £400 ;)

A

Anonymous

Hi Septicman
It sure does help.
I'm in no rush to upgrade - I just want to get it right for me / my ears / my living room.

I'm finding its a matter of taking Mag reviews with a good pinch of salt, adding in recomendations and advice form forums like this one, then coming up with a short list (or long list) of options to go and listen too.
The stage I'm at is trying to compile a sensible list. So I'm trying to rule out the all-so-rans from the worth-listening-to's

I've always assumed NAD to be good value for money and to produce a good sound. Its just that I havent seen too much on this forum (either positive or negative - maybe I've missed it?).
I did listen to a TEAC Ref setup about 5 years ago, and quite liked it - hence the reason for my trying to rule it in or out at this stage of my journey.

Interesting you mention your liking the NAD sound more than the CA. Before I started on this journey, that would have been my expectation, so I think I can safely tick the NAD entries on my list, and just possibly include the CA stuff for clarification!

Thanks again
Serenity

A

Anonymous

Has anyone heard either the Audio Note AX-2's or the AVI Neutron 5's, and what do they think?

A

Anonymous

I agree

A

Anonymous

All,

In the end I replaced my MA S1's with a pair of Totem Acoustic Dreamcatcher, found at a bargain price. Great speakers, great sounds. Having said that, I don't really see them anywhere, what do people think of Totem?

A

Anonymous

Whatever you do you must audition, even at budget price. I listened to some MA BR2s and was quite disappointed after all the hype...

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
bouverie:
Whatever you do you must audition, even at budget price.ÿ I listened to some MA BR2s and was quite disappointed after all the hype...

ÿ

You have to remember £200 speakers are £200 speakers at the end of the day. Budget.

ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts