Speaker stands for Monitor Audio RX2

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I just ordered the Monitor Audio RX2 speakers. Now I need a pair of speaker stands to go with them. Which of these speakers stands would be the best match for the RX2s?

• Atacama Audio Nexus 6i
  • Custom Design RS102
  • Custom Design RS200
  • Soundstyle Z2
  • Soundstyle Z1
Here are the dimensions and weight of the Monitor Audio RX2s:

Product External Dimensions (H x W x D): 375 x 230 x 300 mm (14 3/4 x 9 1/16 x 11 13/16 inch)
Individual Weight: 9.5 Kg (20.88 lb)

Any recommendations?

A

Anonymous

one of the best stands in my opinion is the Partington Dreadnaught Broadside (approx £240 new) or if you want to pay a bit less, the Partington Superdreadnaught are good (approx £160)

search ebay for used ones which will cost a lot less (paid £30 for mine) .... but make sure that they are 3/4 filled with attabites or else you will need to buy those at approx £24 a bucket)

A

Anonymous

I live in the Netherlands. For some reason a lot of speaker stands aren't available here (like the Atacama HMS), and the ones that are, are twice as expensive as they are in the UK (I'm not exaggerating at all).

I understand that the RX2s need sturdy speakers stands, considering their size and weight, but I already spent a lot on these speakers and can't really spend an extreme amount on speaker stands. So I have to choose between these budget speakers.

Another solution would be if I could import speaker stands from the UK (since they're cheaper there), but I can't seem to find a store which is willing to export them. Anyone have any suggestions?

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Ebay sellers are much more likely to ship internationally. Even if they don't state it in the auction, just email them and ask.

I had the identical problem with Chord cables. They were more than double the price here. So I used ebay and got them for UK prices.

A

Anonymous

Looked around... Even on eBay, there isn't much choice. Right now I'm thinking of buying any of these speaker stands:

Atacama Audio Nexus i6 (with Atabites and Spike shoes)
Soundstyle Z2 (with spike shoes)
Soundstyle Z1 (with spike shoes)

But are these good enough for large speakers like the RX2s?

Did anyone try the Z1s? How good are they compared to the other two speaker stands?

Won't the spikes on the Z1's/Z2's top plate damage the speakers? I'm kinda worried about that...

Are the gel pads included with the Nexus 6i (as seen on this pic: http://www.atacama-audio.co.uk/images/im_nexus_5.jpg ) ?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Don't get Nexus 6 for the RX2's - they just won't be stable enough. HMS2's and the SL range are the only one's I'd recommend for them. Extracting a standmount speakers full performance very much depends on the stands involved, as well as placement.

A

Anonymous

The HMS2 are just above my budget. If I'd get the SL600, I think I would need at least a pair of tubs with Atabites, which again, would send me above my budget.

How would you rate the Soundstyles?

Am I wishing for something impossible? Are these budget speaker stands really not fit for larger speakers like the RX2s?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The RX2's are a heavy speaker - put them on stands with an insufficient top and bottom plate and you're left with an underperforming speaker. Even if you have to leave the Atabites to get the SL's - it'll be better than the Nexus with Atabites. My HMS2's aren't filled, but because their top and bottom plate support properly, they sit stablely. You can always add Atabites when funds permit.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the tip. So right now I'm choosing between the Atacama SL600s and the Soundstyle Z1s, since these seem to be the only two larger speaker stands within my budget.

How much Atabites would the SL600 need to get properly filled? Will something else than Atabites do the job as well?

Did anyone try the improved Soundstyle Z1s? How do they compare with the Atacama speaker stands?

A

Anonymous

Finally found a store which is willing to ship speaker stands from the UK for a reasonable price. Now I can't decide which of these two I should get:

Soundstyle Z1: http://www.standanddeliver.eu/acatalog/Z-1_Speaker_Stands.html

Atacama Audio SL 600: http://www.standanddeliver.eu/acatalog/SL_600.html

Which of these should I get for my RX2s?

Looking at the optional top spikes for the SL 600, I wonder how effective these are. Would you reccomend these or could they damage the speakers?

Also, how many tubs of Atabites do I need to properly fill the SL 600?

I would appreciate it if I could get an answer as soon as possible, since the speakers will come in at the end of the week and I'm planning to have everything ready by then
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Decided to go for the Atacama Audio SL 600. I didn't get any Atabites though. I'm going to try and fill them up with dried play sand. Also, in stead of the Atacama spike shoes, I think I'll just try with some coins.

Evlampi

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
David, are you using the isolation Gel pads of the HMS2 ... and do you think they work well ?

Or blutack is better idea ?

Also .. a bit off topic ... do you think nexus 6 are good enough for ATC Scm11 and if not what would tou recommend - hms1/hms2 ?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'm using Blutak - mainly because I need the speakers as low as possible (the gel pads add a good half inch to the height). I had a limitd height within which to place my M&K S150's in order for my screen to drop below the window (to block out more light). As it was, Atacama specially made me some shorter HMS2's to fit the bill.

The Nexus aren't good enough for the SCM11's. They're one of the heaviest standmounts below the £1k mark, and need a very sturdy stand to get the best from them. Most of our customers have opted for one of the Partington models, but the HMS2's will also do a great job.

A speaker has to be as still as possible. When the bass cone, particularly on long throw drivers like the ATC's, are forcing themselves forwards, it's natural for the cabinet to be forced backwards. If the cabinet can move backwards, the bass cone doesn't have a solid patform to move forward from, 'blurring' the effect and intention of that cone movement. A similar effect can be likened to using a pair of speaker stands with lose fitting spikes. Generally, single column stands aren't rigid enough, and tend to be a style choice. Two columns is much more rigid, but only along the horizontal plane of the two columns, three columns is far more stable, but I'd recommend four columns for maximum rigidity. The top plate and base plate also have their part to play. The base plate needs to be large - the larger the base plate, the larger the footprint, therefore the more stable the stand. The more of the cabinet the top plate supports, the more secure the speaker that sits on it. Filling the columns with heavy material gives a lower centre of gravity, making the whole structure more stable, although too much raises this centre of gravity, and can also have a detrimental effect on the overall sound.

Stands welded together tend to be more rigid, but most stands tend to be flatpacked nowadays for ease of storage at manufacturer and retailer, and also smaller packaging for easier shipping. The better Partington stands are all welded.

A

Anonymous

About blu-tack... I read about it everywhere in forums, and am interested to use them myself, but I just can't seem to find them in the Netherlands. Any suggestions?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
ATHFan:About blu-tack... I read about it everywhere in forums, and am interested to use them myself, but I just can't seem to find them in the Netherlands. Any suggestions?

Look in a stationery shop/office supplier/school supplies/hardware shop rather than in hifi outlets....

uk_366822_1_std.jpg

It is more typically used for affixing posters to walls.

A

Anonymous

chebby:Look in a stationery shop/office supplier/school supplies/hardware shop rather than in hifi outlets....
It is more typically used for affixing posters to walls.

This may be the case in the UK, but in the Netherlands, they don't sell blu-tack.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts