Speaker postioning help

SteveR750

I have a non square room, and am struggling to juggle furniture and my hi fi into the optimum postions. The room is a thick L shape, with the foot of the L being very short. There is a small cupboard under the stairwell is the part that forms the L otherwise the room would be completely square. My speakers are currently placed on the base of the L, this is dictated by radiators and also a patio door, and to some extent by other furniture.

I have a sofa that is position across the end of the foot of the L (so the left speaker fires across its front), and one directly in front of the speakers about 7-8 ft away. When I sit on the sideways facing sofa there is plenty of depth to the bass frequencies and there is nice solid deep thump to everything. When I move to the ideal position onto the sofa directly facing the speakers, it loses most of its depth, though its still audible. If I move closer say about 2 ft it also returns. I believe that its because the speakers are firing into an unequal length space - the left speaker as you face them is firing into the toe of the L, although its not actuallly in to toe, it must be radiating into that space. The other speaker is then firing into a much larger open space, and to boot is about 8" further away from the wall (as its in front of one of the patio door side windows. The left speaker is about 18" from the rear wall, and are a pair of B&W DM602 S3's on open stands that are set up rigidly and dont rock.

I had thought of moving the whole lot up against the longest wall of the L but that would mean a big compromise in how and where I put my sofas and other furniture and even TV as this is currently playing audio through my amp and speakers. If anyone has any practical suggestions - I have tried small changes in the speaker positions but to no effect so far!

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i have a L shaped lounge, in my room putting the speakers on the long wall and firing across the width (missing out the foot of the L) is the only way that works for me. no side walls to mess with the sound though...
emotion-1.gif

SteveR750

Craig M.:i have a L shaped lounge, in my room putting the speakers on the long wall and firing across the width (missing out the foot of the L) is the only way that works for me. no side walls to mess with the sound though...
emotion-1.gif

I was afraid that this might be the solution....
emotion-40.gif

matthewpiano

It is well worth experimenting with positioning. I've perhaps not paid it enough attention over the last couple of years. I've had my speakers in a bay window (as far apart as possible) and things were sounding a bit cluttered no matter what gear I tried.

Last night (with full support from the other half!) I re-arranged our lounge so that I could set the Quads up pretty much exactly as described in the handbook, and against a longer wall. We've both noticed a huge improvement in the sound in every way - a bigger upgrade than any equipment change I ever made in the old position.

Just goes to show!!

A

Anonymous

I'm looking forward to doing this in the new place. no bay window to stick the speakers in.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
bay windows are the worst thing ever. when i tried mine there, firing down the length of the room, the hotspot was when i stood up against a sidewall about 10 feet from the speakers! not the comfiest way to listen.
emotion-40.gif

A

Anonymous

Don't get tied to the idea the TV has to be between the speakers (for music anyway).

If you are using the amp for TV also, then just get one decent centre speaker under the TV and pumping everything through that for movies/tv does work.

A photo of my set-up is in my Bio, it's on the long length of the room; also the outside corner of the bend in an L-shaped room. From left to right, TV in corner of room (room for subwoofer behind it if required), then left speaker, fireplace, right speaker, hi-fi stuff on rack including cable box/dvd (20 ft interconnects to TV under floorboard).

You can't see the sofa but it is square to the fire-place (also perfectly set in triangle for speakers.

Watching TV at an angle is perfectly fine - multiple people on couch works and if only 1 person watching sitting in far corner of couch from TV, or lounging the whole length works fine for me!

A

Anonymous

SteveR750:Frankly the TV can go to hell. I'm only concerned about music.

Theres something in what you say. With the garbage they are putting out at the moment I am wondering if its worth having a tv at all.

A

Anonymous

about the only thing i miss since disconnecting the tv is saturday kitchen (and the sunday one at the same time) and endless QI.

Everything else is rubbish.

Someone told me a couple of days back that you need a tv license even if your tv is not plugged in/able to receive because 'you have the ability even if you don't use it'.Seems totally wrong for folks who just want it for dvd's. I don't go to a supermarket and give them mone just to walk round.

A

Anonymous

fast eddie:about the only thing i miss since disconnecting the tv is saturday kitchen (and the sunday one at the same time) and endless QI.

Everything else is rubbish.

Someone told me a couple of days back that you need a tv license even if your tv is not plugged in/able to receive because 'you have the ability even if you don't use it'.Seems totally wrong for folks who just want it for dvd's. I don't go to a supermarket and give them mone just to walk round.

With the ever increasing multimedia capability of computers, theres talk of some sort of licence for these. Not sure if its as well as the tv licence or instead of but whatever its all gimme gimme.

If you take your aerial down then you are not able to recieve....wonder how you stand there.

SteveR750

Well if you have no means of receiving external signal via an aerial or dish then i see no reason why you couldn't simply claim that your TV is a PC monitor that happens to be conected to a DVD player, especially if its a small set say 19".

daveh75

Taken From TV licensing website.............................

You must be covered by a valid TV Licence
if you watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on
TV. It makes no difference what equipment you use - whether it's a
laptop, PC, mobile phone, digital box, DVD recorder or a TV set - you
still need a licence.

You do not need a TV Licence
to view video clips on the internet, as long as what you are viewing is
not being shown on TV at the same time as you are viewing it.

If you use a digital box with a hi-fi system, or another
device that can only be used to produce sounds and can't display TV
programmes, and you don't install or use any other TV receiving
equipment, you don't need a TV Licence.

A

Anonymous

Wow, sounds like I started a little firestorm. I agree also, the last thing I want is a blank TV staring at me when listening to music, the fireplace is much nicer!

A

Anonymous

daveh75:
Taken From TV licensing website.............................

You must be covered by a valid TV Licence
if you watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on
TV. It makes no difference what equipment you use - whether it's a
laptop, PC, mobile phone, digital box, DVD recorder or a TV set - you
still need a licence.

You do not need a TV Licence
to view video clips on the internet, as long as what you are viewing is
not being shown on TV at the same time as you are viewing it.

If you use a digital box with a hi-fi system, or another
device that can only be used to produce sounds and can't display TV
programmes, and you don't install or use any other TV receiving
equipment, you don't need a TV Licence.

thats still leaves it open to needing a license when using a tv for dvd's, games etc only. its still receiving equipment even if you're not using it to receive. which is stupid.

anyhow i didnt renew my license because i can't receive a signal. The Licensing people stopped sending me letters to.

Will buy another one when we move as the new tv will work properly
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts