Speaker placement not.....

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
2 days...2days it took me to read through the latest cable thread...wow...2days!

Anyhow there was one particular skeptic who's post caught my eye (but its a little late to respond to it...)

its the post that states speaker placement has a far greater effect on your music than cables......weeeeeeellllllll I disagree. I forget who it was and I will not be going back through that thread any time soon....2days.

while speaker placement will affect bass response and sound stage it does not affect fidelity or the quality of the sound you get from your speakers, just spreads it about abit, while in my experience a cables subtle changes can and do become quite dramatic over time as the improvement in fidelity reveals more in all parts of stereo reproduction.

So while speaker placement can have a profound affect on the way your system sounds it cannot improve it.... really... if you know what I mean?
but cables on the other hand.........

Thompsonuxb said:
So while speaker placement can have a profound affect on the way your system sounds it cannot improve it.... really... if you know what I mean?
...can never improve what your amplifier produces, only alter it or detract from it.

So rather like moving your speakers then, except that moving your speakers is free.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
nopiano said:
Thompsonuxb said:
So while speaker placement can have a profound affect on the way your system sounds it cannot improve it.... really... if you know what I mean? but cables on the other hand.........
...can never improve what your amplifier produces, only alter it or detract from it. So rather like moving your speakers then, except that moving your speakers is free.

was it you ?

No I disagree with that 'alter or detract' statement too, if you improve the signal the amp or your speakers recieves ( and you can with interconnects and cables) then you will not alter the sound you will improve it.....think about it before you respond.

RUBBISH IN RUBBISH OUT = QUALITY IN QUALITY OUT.......carry the 1 & devide by 2... yeah thats right.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
'Can have a profound effect' but 'cannot improve' (sound)???? If they are not in the optimum position & u move them into a better position then that will improve the sound. Moving them will not only effect the 'path' of sound but may effect the reflection/absorbsion of sound within the room. A somewhat strange reflection I thought.

If u r saying can it better the 'ideal' sound within an anarchaic (spelling sorry) chamber then thats not realistic

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Robinok & letshaveit......think about this.

if you have poorly defined treble ( not so much bass in this context) and poor midrange i.e the speakers are not being controlled to their optimum by the amp or the signal being amplified is poor then moving the speakers around will have an affect but whats being produced will still be poor - so yes you can achieve a wider soundstage and yes the 'bass' will alter but the quality.....nnnnnnnnnmmm.

Thompsonuxb said:
nopiano said:
Thompsonuxb said:
So while speaker placement can have a profound affect on the way your system sounds it cannot improve it.... really... if you know what I mean? but cables on the other hand.........
...can never improve what your amplifier produces, only alter it or detract from it. So rather like moving your speakers then, except that moving your speakers is free.

was it you ?

No I disagree with that 'alter or detract' statement too, if you improve the signal the amp or your speakers recieves ( and you can with interconnects and cables) then you will not alter the sound you will improve it.....think about it before you respond.

I did think about it, because every piece of wire detracts from the signal, though mostly to such a slight degre that you cannot hear it. A good cable might sound better than a poor one because it detracts less.

Think of it like sheets of glass - the fewer between you and the beautiful view, the better it looks.

BTW, it wasn't me.

pmconcierge

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Speaker position can alter the general nature of the sound. Bass can overshadow the mid and treble with a lot of speakers near a wall. The best I can describe it as is a thickening of the sound. A general change in timbre another. Again, generally, I don't think this is a good thing. Cables can also make a difference too but probably less than speaker placement in the majority of cases. Especially taking in price! A pair of rear ported floor standers should illustrate the point. It's no coincidence a lot of companies give you bungs for the rear port.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
nopiano said:
Thompsonuxb said:
nopiano said:
Thompsonuxb said:

was it you ?

I did think about it, because every piece of wire detracts from the signal, though mostly to such a slight degre that you cannot hear it. A good cable might sound better than a poor one because it detracts less.

Think of it like sheets of glass - the fewer between you and the beautiful view, the better it looks.

BTW, it wasn't me.

It was the record spot. He was right. There is no debate.

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I can only comment on what I hear, my system pointing along the room sounded awful, speakers pointing the width of the room was back to the sound I had in my last place. So for me personally speaker placement has a massive affect on sound i hear, and what i hear is all that matters.

See my old thread from about a month ago.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
nopiano said:
Thompsonuxb said:
nopiano said:
Thompsonuxb said:

was it you ?

BTW, it wasn't me.

Funny you say glass, because I look at cables like a plain of glass, the 'cleaner' it is the more light it lets in and to a degree maybe the better the cable the closer you get to the reall sound outputted by your source......thats interesting cause it ties in with the response I'm going to give to Letshaveit below....bear with me.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
letsavit2 said:
I can only comment on what I hear, my system pointing along the room sounded awful, speakers pointing the width of the room was back to the sound I had in my last place. So for me personally speaker placement has a massive affect on sound i hear, and what i hear is all that matters.

See my old thread from about a month ago.

I'll look for it when I return.....

what you say makes perfect sense, you're happy with the sound you are gettin in said configuration but maybe..... I'm not saying it is right, but maybe...I'm just putting it out there, right...but maybe there is room for improvement ref your systems fidelity.... I'm only saying.

in my experience when I found my speakers optimum placement regards general bass response, soundstage and imaging my next thing was to improve the systems fidelity clarity & definition, the sound quality. And while placement did have a big affect on the general sound it did not have any real impact on the sound quality.....if you know what I mean.....the quality.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
pmconcierge said:
Speaker position can alter the general nature of the sound. Bass can overshadow the mid and treble with a lot of speakers near a wall. The best I can describe it as is a thickening of the sound. A general change in timbre another. Again, generally, I don't think this is a good thing. Cables can also make a difference too but probably less than speaker placement in the majority of cases. Especially taking in price! A pair of rear ported floor standers should illustrate the point. It's no coincidence a lot of companies give you bungs for the rear port.

nnnnnnnnnnmm....yes and no.

I'll have to come back to this, good night guys....... have a good one.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
No I disagree with that 'alter or detract' statement too, if you improve the signal the amp or your speakers recieves ( and you can with interconnects and cables) then you will not alter the sound you will improve it.

Thompsonuxb said:
to a degree maybe the better the cable the closer you get to the reall sound outputted by your source......

I shouldn't be responding, but these two contrary posts demonstrate that you are either a moron or a troll. Or both.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
BenLaw said:
I shouldn't be responding, but these two contrary posts demonstrate that you are either a moron or a troll. Or both.

I don't think you should be responding, at least not in this manner. Calling someone a moron is personally offensive and has no place on this forum, as you very well know. An apology is in order.

T

the record spot

Thompsonuxb said:
2 days...2days it took me to read through the latest cable thread...wow...2days!

Anyhow there was one particular skeptic who's post caught my eye (but its a little late to respond to it...)

its the post that states speaker placement has a far greater effect on your music than cables......weeeeeeellllllll I disagree. I forget who it was and I will not be going back through that thread any time soon....2days.

while speaker placement will affect bass response and sound stage it does not affect fidelity or the quality of the sound you get from your speakers, just spreads it about abit, while in my experience a cables subtle changes can and do become quite dramatic over time as the improvement in fidelity reveals more in all parts of stereo reproduction.

Fidelity you say? Your source and amp does that. If you're relying on a cable to improve your system's fidelity, you're wasting your time. A cable won't extract data off a disc or LP. And in my experience, listening to a stereo over time merely erodes your memory of how something originally sounded, in other words, it's your subjective opinion in the end. So any reliable references to how something sounded many days or weeks before are going to be very much in the minority.

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
BenLaw said:

I don't think you should be responding, at least not in this manner. Calling someone a moron is personally offensive and has no place on this forum, as you very well know. An apology is in order.

i agree, come on Ben calm down. I apologise myself for saying "deaf or stupid" earlier but it wasn't directed at anyone in particular

Thompson agree's speaker placement affects the sound but I'm still not sure what his point is, maybe I'm being stupid!

T

the record spot

Thompsonuxb said:
Robinok & letshaveit......think about this. if you have poorly defined treble ( not so much bass in this context) and poor midrange i.e the speakers are not being controlled to their optimum by the amp or the signal being amplified is poor then moving the speakers around will have an affect but whats being produced will still be poor - so yes you can achieve a wider soundstage and yes the 'bass' will alter but the quality.....nnnnnnnnnmmm.

I am of course making the point based on a system that is well setup and matched, not where there is a shortcoming in which case a cable won't fix the problem anyway. Unless of course you're happy to thinly paper over the cracks. Again, cables aren't the answer.

namefail

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Some times Cables is the answer, just not to any question that's likely to be asked here...

Here's a nice clip of some Big Black Cables.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIn8e8-kXQ4

T

the record spot

That's not true obviously. IMO only, but the gross over-emphasis given to cables for the minimal returns.... you know the rest.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
2 days...2days it took me to read through the latest cable thread...wow...2days! Anyhow there was one particular skeptic who's post caught my eye (but its a little late to respond to it...) its the post that states speaker placement has a far greater effect on your music than cables......weeeeeeellllllll I disagree. I forget who it was and I will not be going back through that thread any time soon....2days. while speaker placement will affect bass response and sound stage it does not affect fidelity or the quality of the sound you get from your speakers, just spreads it about abit, while in my experience a cables subtle changes can and do become quite dramatic over time as the improvement in fidelity reveals more in all parts of stereo reproduction. So while speaker placement can have a profound affect on the way your system sounds it cannot improve it.... really... if you know what I mean? but cables on the other hand.........

Surely that will depend on your speakers, your room and what cables you are using? One loudspeaker manufacturer said about half the sound is the room as well as the speakers. Speaker can have a large impact on sound its not just the soundstage, you can get boomy bass, lack of bass, no stereo image, holes if too far apart how is that not affecting fidelity or qualitily of sound. As for cables I would get some that pro use like Van Damme and use the money left over to upgrade your system or buy more music.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
2 days...2days it took me to read through the latest cable thread...wow...2days! Anyhow there was one particular skeptic who's post caught my eye (but its a little late to respond to it...) its the post that states speaker placement has a far greater effect on your music than cables......weeeeeeellllllll I disagree. I forget who it was and I will not be going back through that thread any time soon....2days. while speaker placement will affect bass response and sound stage it does not affect fidelity or the quality of the sound you get from your speakers, just spreads it about abit, while in my experience a cables subtle changes can and do become quite dramatic over time as the improvement in fidelity reveals more in all parts of stereo reproduction. So while speaker placement can have a profound affect on the way your system sounds it cannot improve it.... really... if you know what I mean? but cables on the other hand.........

thing is, what you've said falls flat on it's face. If you don't believe me, point your speakers at the wall. See how it sounds then? ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts