Help Wanted. Be gentle with me please

ChrisCov

Oct 17, 2022
Visit site
Hi, I am rather bewildered by something.

My original set up was Musical Fidelity A3.2CR CD player, MF A3.2CR integrated and Monitor Audio GS20 speakers. Nice.

I was recently lucky enough to get a very attractively prices MFA3.2CR Power amp to add to the system.

I set it up as follows:

1. Integrated "pre amp outputs" (x2) into power amp inputs (x2)
2. Speaker terminal links removed
3. Integrated amp speaker cable connected to upper (HF) speaker connections
4. Power amp speaker cables connected to lower (LF) speaker cables.

I have double/triple checked all connections for polarity etc.

Here's my issue. Everything seems to be working but out of curiosity I turned off the Power Amp while playing music via the CD player. I expected the bass driver to stop working but they did not.

I don't get it. How do the bass units keep working when the power amp is off?

I had not expected a night/day sound improvement through adding the power amp but this has confused me.

What am I doing wrong or misunderstanding?

Any advice will be welcome.

Thanks for reading this far.

treesey

Obviously you have a typo in point 4....

...but essentially you've invented a perpetual energy machine!!!!! Can you run the rest of the town off of it?

(you did listen for a few seconds I trust, as the power amp will have a few seconds of stored energy after you cut the power?)

Reactions: ChrisCov

Gray

You've got a mid / bass and a bass driver on each of your cabs Chris.
Check again when you turn off the power amp - I'm pretty sure you'll find the bass only drivers may actually be off.
(Feel the cones - at fairly low volume levels - so as not to be passively moving the bass cones by air vibration).

What you've got are known as 2.5 way speakers....so the HF terminals don't just feed the tweeters as with 2 way speakers.
You're expecting to lose all the bass by turning off the power amp....but you will not.

Last edited:

ChrisCov

Oct 17, 2022
Visit site
Obviously you have a typo in point 4....

...but essentially you've invented a perpetual energy machine!!!!! Can you run the rest of the town off of it?

(you did listen for a few seconds I trust, as the power amp will have a few seconds of stored energy after you cut the power?)

Do I get to patent it or is that now yours?

You were correct. I wasn't allowing the power amp energy to dissipate.

All is now calm. Thank you.

ChrisCov

Oct 17, 2022
Visit site
Thank you for all the responses.

Now solved. It was simply me being impatient and not waiting for the power amp to dissipate power when switched off.

I need to hurry up and learn to be more patient.

Thanks again to everyone who replied.

Chris

Reactions: Freddy and Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts