Speaker placement not.....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
So while speaker placement can have a profound affect on the way your system sounds it cannot improve it.... really... if you know what I mean?
but cables on the other hand.........

I think I know what you mean although slightly contradictory? But:

If speaker placement can have a profound effect on sound - it must therefore be able to either improve or reduce the way they sound - you can't have it just one way.

And for the same reasoning - cables also may improve or reduce the sound quality.

But, for most people I would imagine, sound quality is measured by what they hear in their listening position, so yes a cable change may alter (and improve) the sound coming out of the speakers, but you don't hear that sound right next to the speakers, their position in the room will also effect the sound on it's way to the listeners ear.

So overall, most will say that on balance altering the position of your speakers will have (to quote you) ' a profound effect on sound' for better or worse.

Personally, I upgraded my cables and thought there was an improvement, but it's hard for me to say with any strong conviction, but re-positioning my speakers I am happy to say made a big difference (improvement).

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Even as a cable advocate, I have found Room Acoustics, Room Construction (especially suspended wooden floors) and Speaker Placement have a much more profound effect.

Cables can't completely destroy the sound, but a combination of the above can.

IME. Only after the fundamentals have been sorted, should cable experimentation begin, if that is your want.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
BenLaw said:
I shouldn't be responding, but these two contrary posts demonstrate that you are either a moron or a troll. Or both.

I don't think you should be responding, at least not in this manner. Calling someone a moron is personally offensive and has no place on this forum, as you very well know. An apology is in order.

You're pretty new here so may not be aware of Thompson's trolling history. I certainly wouldn't have posed what I did if this was one of his first threads. However, he has a history of trolling, particularly on this sort of subject. On this occasion, he wanted to get 'a piece of the action' from the other interminable thread, which is also being orchestrated by a tiresome troll. So, no, there is no apology warranted or given. FWIW, I don't think Thompson is a moron, I think he's a troll, many of whom have a degree of cynical intelligence.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
BenLaw said:
matt49 said:
BenLaw said:
I shouldn't be responding, but these two contrary posts demonstrate that you are either a moron or a troll. Or both.

I don't think you should be responding, at least not in this manner. Calling someone a moron is personally offensive and has no place on this forum, as you very well know. An apology is in order.

You're pretty new here so may not be aware of Thompson's trolling history. I certainly wouldn't have posed what I did if this was one of his first threads. However, he has a history of trolling, particularly on this sort of subject. On this occasion, he wanted to get 'a piece of the action' from the other interminable thread, which is also being orchestrated by a tiresome troll. So, no, there is no apology warranted or given. FWIW, I don't think Thompson is a moron, I think he's a troll, many of whom have a degree of cynical intelligence.

Calling someone a troll is one thing (and was in any case not what I referred to in my post, as you can plainly see here), calling them a moron (i.e. mentally ********) is altogether different.

Edit: my definition of moron got censored! The censored word was the adjectival past participle of "******". Let's see if this gets censored too.

Edit edit: Yep. The censored word means "slowed down".

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
BenLaw said:
matt49 said:
BenLaw said:

Calling someone a troll is one thing (and was in any case not what I referred to in my post, as you can plainly see here), calling them a moron (i.e. mentally ********) is altogether different.

Edit: my definition of moron got censored! The censored word was the adjectival past participle of "******". Let's see if this gets censored too. Edit edit: Yep. The censored word means "slowed down".

Although a close reading of what I said makes clear that I didn't call him a moron. I can't see any conclusion to draw from his contradictory statements (the first of which is clearly nonsense to anyone with a modicum of intelligence and common sense) other than that the author lacks intelligence or is being deliberately provocative. I'm open to suggestions. I've also clarified that I think he is a troll rather than a moron and that is what I am calling him. However, if he were to be believed in his assertion that he was not a troll, then I can see no other legitimate conclusion to draw than that he is of limited intelligence.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Although a close reading of what I said makes clear that I didn't call him a moron. I can't see any conclusion to draw from his contradictory statements (the first of which is clearly nonsense to anyone with a modicum of intelligence and common sense) other than that the author lacks intelligence or is being deliberately provocative. I'm open to suggestions. I've also clarified that I think he is a troll rather than a moron and that is what I am calling him.

Well, I suppose that's part way towards an apology.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
BenLaw said:
Although a close reading of what I said makes clear that I didn't call him a moron. I can't see any conclusion to draw from his contradictory statements (the first of which is clearly nonsense to anyone with a modicum of intelligence and common sense) other than that the author lacks intelligence or is being deliberately provocative. I'm open to suggestions. I've also clarified that I think he is a troll rather than a moron and that is what I am calling him.

Well, I suppose that's part way towards an apology.

If it came across as part way to an apology it was not intended to and I apologise for any confusion.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks matt49 but honestly I neither want or need an apology from Ben Law, he like everyone is entilted to his opinion of me good or bad.

Good luck to him.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
anyhoo.....

I agree that placement does have an effect on sound but as I've said its usually in the lower frequencys and how they interact with your rooms accoustics.

My real point was with regards to fidelity though.

if you have an interconnect which is 'dull' ( I accept some of you do not believe one can be duller than another....but pls, hear me out) that sound will be the sound you recieve no matter were you place your speaker.

example if you hear a triangle in a piece of music and it "chings" as opposed to "tings" (you get what I'm saying) then no matter were you shift your speaker with relation to your rooms accoustics - that triangle will still ching and not ting.... its about fidelity, clarity or purity of sound that the actual speaker produces

and this is before the room or placement has an affect on the sound produced.....

I do understand what some of you guys are saying and if I was thinking in broad strokes, so to speak I'd be in total agreement with you. But in my experience interconnects refines your sound it may well be subtle but its more ....more ...whats the word I'm looking for.....more .... I have to go with profound again.....

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Am a music producer & i know for a fact that room acoustics has by far more effect on sound than any cable...

lol..... well I'm a producer music .....sorry could'nt help myself. Pls re-read my opening post This I do not disagree with, refer to my last post hopefully that may clarify the point I'm trying to make and why ultimately I believe (know) how important cables are and the differences they make.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts