Speaker Options - Floor standing speakers have to go,...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My current set-up is; Panasonic Blu-ray player, Onkyo TX-SR875 Receiver, 3 B&W M-1 satellite speakers (center, rear left & rear right) and B&W P4 floor standing speakers (front left & front right, which have been bi-amped) - no subwoofer.

I have had the above for a couple of years, and had planned to add a subwoofer at a later date, but there has been a change of plan - the mrs is expecting twins - so spending money on a new shiny subwoofer is out of the question, and we need to reclaim the floor space being taken up by the floor standing speakers.

My proposed solution was to replace the P4's with B&W 685's (which could still be bi-amped - no need for a subwoofer). Also, the 685's could be placed either side of the TV, and so not take up floor space.

Before making a decision I will be auditioning speakers from my local store (if they let me), but first wanted to make sure that the above makes sense?

Does anyone have any ideas what the difference in sound quality will be moving from P4's to 685's?

Or, does anyone have any alternative solutions - asking the mrs and twins to move out cannot be considered a solution(!).

Cheers,

Womble.

A

Anonymous

Hi David - thanks for the response.

I use the system for a mix of music and films.

Let me know if you have any thoughts regarding in the above.

Cheers - Womble.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
When my two little angels came along, I had to sell my stand-mount speakers and replace them with floorstanders. Stand mounted speakers are VERY dangerous with toddlers around as they can easily be pushed off the stands. You'll have to make sure they are secure.

I don't really agree about not needing a sub, as it extends the frequency range and makes even 'large' speakers sound better. A big box with a downward firing speaker isn't really vulnerable to little fingers - not like speaker cones...........but that's another story!

A

Anonymous

I was in the same situation as you as have a 2 year old and a 4 year old, so they are worse then babies, they want to poke and play with everything.

So got the system below, and put the 9.1's on my AV stand, yes I know they are not spread apart properly, but the rear ones are on wall mounts, and it still sounds great.

And for the Sub, I held out as well, as I knew there would be a finger going into the speaker, so bought a downfire R370HD and put it beside the sofa so they cant reach it, but if your room layout is not like this, then you are still ok, as they cant do anything to the sub, unless they stick their finger right down below, but this wont happen for a year anyway.

I am glad I got a subwoofer, as just watched a early blu-ray release of 2012, and all I can say, is I am glad I have one.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts