Thoughts...

JayB

Mar 27, 2024
Visit site
Hi all,

Been wanting a seperates system for years now. I finally have the space (and money) to do it.

Looking at B&W 603s2 floor standing with Cambridge audio CXA81 and CXN100.

What are your thoughts on this pairing?

Anything else i should be considering?

Thanks in advance

Hi all,

Been wanting a seperates system for years now. I finally have the space (and money) to do it.

Thanks in advance
Welcome to the forum.
Unfortunately there are always alternatives in Hifi.
I feel sure your pairing would work fine but you will have to decide for yourself.
Always best to build a system out of items you can actually get to audition yourself, you cannot simply go on other people's reviews or opinions.

You say you have the space, what is that then? Room size in feet or metres may help as would your maximum budget.

Dont forget to factor in some cash for cables.
The only reservation I would have is paying out good money to have DACs in both items, however they are different DAC chips so you may find you prefer one over the other.....

Last edited:

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
Wow: what a start that would be and welcome to the board!

Given B&W's long-term collaboration with Rotel, you may want to explore what matching options they might offer. Enjoy your exploration and eventual selections!

Fandango Andy

Hi all,

Thanks in advance

There is no right or wrong, just opinion. You need to listen to a few systems to see what you like. I would visit a HiFi store and ask them to setup an audition for your.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
I think if i was starting over id give a serious look at active speakers with streaming, dac, pre amp like that of the CXN from Cambridge or the ever solo or even a blue sound node if you dont need a screen for album art.

or even some partially "smart" active all in ones that have legacy connections like that from JBL and there 4329p very very nice sounding I listened to them just to other day.

just some food for thought

But what you have chosen is a really nice place to be

Roog

May 20, 2016
Visit site
You have chosen a good time to get in to HiFi or as I refer to it 'stereo'.

Why? because so much stereo equipment today is well designed, reliable and performs really well.

Remember that the two things that make by far the biggest differences are your room and the speakers, provided that your chosen source and amplifier can access the music you like and can drive your chosen speakers well, the difference in sound that they make pales compared to the influence of your room and speakers.

I have no doubt that the Cambridge audio equipment that you have identified will perform very well, so if you can try a few speakers with it in the shop and if possible try the system at home before you commit to a particular speaker model and type.

My experience shows that speakers can sound very different in your own room when compared to how they sounded in the shop.

Good luck.

Reactions: Kenneth Fernandes
Hi all,

Thanks in advance
I would guess B&W & Cambridge could be too forward for long-term listening.

Book a demo at a retailers such as Richer Sounds and pester the sales staff in hearing various combos (too many to mention) and decide from there.

Reactions: DougK1

SteveH72

Feb 25, 2020
Visit site
Bowers & Wilkins had a long-established relationship with Rotel, and used Rotel amplification for demonstrations. They are now stable mates with Marantz and are recommend PM8000 series amps for the 600 series speakers.
It’s a personal choice but I’d avoid slightly more forward amplifiers like Cambridge Audio and choose one to marry with the speakers more extended treble.
It’s taken me 3 years to find the best amplifier for my 606 S2 speakers…….

Reactions: DougK1

Oxfordian

Welcome to the forum.

I have no idea about the kit you have suggested, my advice is simple, go and find a dealer who will let you listen to the set up, you can then judge if it is right for you.

In an ideal world you will be able to do this audition at home but that is a discussion you will need to have with the store.

Good luck, hope it works out for you.

TRENDING THREADS