Speaker layouts

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm currently looking for a house - to buy - in which to have a dedicated theatre room - hopefully… I'm curious however, what surround configuration you guys favour? I currently have a pair of Monitor Audio RSFX which are a switchable bipole/dipole wall-mounted speaker. I know the THX guidelines suggest using these speakers on the side walls just above head height but I'm curious as I've seen that some of you run two sets of surrounds along each side - which I can get going with more speakers - I'm 'limited' (lol) to a 7 speaker set-up as I like to have my front 3 bi-amped. So, the question is - 2 sets of this type of surrounds on each SIDE wall or a set on the sides and two at the back? Any opinions? Also, I notice that some other speaker surround packages like the Mordaunt Short Performance or Monitor Audio Platinum, use either floor-standing or standard bookshelf-style speakers for surround duty. Do these go on the wall, at the sides or back or do they typically go to the back with this type of speaker?

A

Anonymous

G'day Damien, It's good to see you around. I personally prefer conventional standmount/bookshelf loudspeakers mounted high up for surround duties. In a seven-channel set-up that you are looking at, I would suggest to have 2 surround loudspeakers facing your ears directly (in a straight line), and 2 surround back loudspeakers completely behind you and firing straight ahead. Hope that I am making sense.

If you can afford a full set of Mordaunt-Short Performance loudspeakers or Monitor Audio PL loudspeakers, go for it! To match with your Pioneer 'Susano', perhaps the less lean-sounding Monitor Audio's may be the way to go.

Dan.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts