Speaker Grills

Stormboy

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi

I always leave my speaker grills off because I can't believe that having something like that between the drivers and my ears can be good for sound quality.

Are grills really transparent to sound or do you have to give up some sound quality for the protection and aesthetics that they provide?

Stormboy

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
I asked this question once before Stormboy, its really down to preference i found that when i took the grilles of mine they sounded just a tad brighter, so i think its best you just demo between on and off. I do believe the grilles are more for protection purposes i.e little kids pushing the tweeters in etc

And to add to this i also found with my B&Ws the yellow bass drivers were alsao a bit in my face ha

Cheers

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
That all depends on the manufacturer and if they designed the speaker with the grill in mind.
Each manufacturer will have there own agenda and design the speaker accordingly.

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
chebby:I just leave them on. Hifi is ugly enough already.

I agree with you there chebby but I found an improvement in sound quality wnen I take the grills off so I take them off whilst listening and replace them when finished

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
chebby:I just leave them on. Hifi is ugly enough already.

Bit surprised to see that comment, I think your n-sats look great, and preferably without the grills on, I really like to see the drivers. Each to their own though.

To answer the OP, I can't really notice much difference with or without grills.

A

Anonymous

My spendors and leema's sound much better with them off.

Also, they are better aesthetically with them off, you can see what you bought, and the gf prefers them with the grilles off.

Au natural for me!

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:whereas my old Dalis sounded better with them on.

Just goes to show how subjective this hi-fi lark is,as I think mine sound better with the grills off,having said that I did reposition the speakers slightly before listening the first time with grills off so that would probably add to the effect.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts